Windows XP Spotter (the club)

FranceBB

If my computer were so unstable, I'd look for a suitable replacement. Somehow the problem seems familiar when the electrolytic capacitors on the mainboard inflate. :yes: Somehow the problem seems familiar when the electrolytic capacitors on the mainboard inflate. It is a known problem to generate sales (higher value components are more expensive). I'm curious if Windows 10, the intervals are getting smaller with the hardware requirement. :thumbdown

:)

16 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Hats off, Dave, you are the Windows XP Spotter of the year. XD

What really amused me was that this was almost certainly the most "spotted" instance of XP still now in use ever, as it was seen by millions of people on TV!
And yes @heinoganda, you would think Neneh would be able to afford a more up to date laptop! Why it suddenly rebooted in the middle of her set doesn't seem to be known.
Still, if it's only used to play stage background videos, and is therefore possibly never even put online, why would they bother to change it?
:lol:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

21 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

And yes @heinoganda, you would think Neneh would be able to afford a more up to date laptop! Why it suddenly rebooted in the middle of her set doesn't seem to be known.
Still, if it's only used to play stage background videos, and is therefore possibly never even put online, why would they bother to change it?
:lol:

Most probably (just a guess, mind you)  Windows 10 was considered by the staff, but they couldn't justify to accounting buying 5 licenses to get hold of an enterprise version and they feared that Windows 10 would autoupdate in the middle of the show. ;)

jaclaz

28 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I'm assuming a hardware failure, especially as it seems in the middle of the show to an interruption. Windows XP sp3 can not work that bad! :no:

:)

16 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Most probably (just a guess, mind you)  Windows 10 was considered by the staff, but they couldn't justify to accounting buying 5 licenses to get hold of an enterprise version and they feared that Windows 10 would autoupdate in the middle of the show;)

jaclaz

LOL! :lol:

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, GlowingLights said:

Saw posready2009 at the supermarket near me.

Sadly, no picture. :(

I also use it on my Inspiron 15 laptop. Picture coming soon.

This thread is just for XP we have seen "out in the wild" or on the internet, not our own personal systems. We have a thread for that kind of thing here:

Which I will be posting in soon once I get my notebooks sorted out.

Earlier today, I was watching a Weather Network-produced segment on CBC News Network and noticed their fondness for Windows Server 2003 (R2?):

20190819_134349.jpgIt

It is strange, considering that everything else on The Weather Network seems to run on 7 or 10. or at least the stuff like the touchscreen used by the on-camera personalities.

And another one from television, namely a fuzzy image of the unmistakable Luna guiding fire fighters to an emergency in St. Louis, MO, as seen on the August 19 episode of the American TV series Live Rescue:

20190821_211436.jpg?resize=334,334

And here's a bonus sighting, one that could get me banned:

What would the world do without Windows NT 5.x?

Edited by win32

3 hours ago, win32 said:
What would the world do without Windows NT 5.x?

Well, it's been working for 19 years and it's still doing its job, why should they change it? XD

Edited by FranceBB
I meant "why" not "while". Google autocorrect sucks.

• 1 month later...

Not the best photo quality but the auto parts shop in town is still running XP on one of their PCs.Though (out of picture) the PC is now resting in their counter instead of directly under the monitor as it previously was, the last time I posted about it.

The picture is actually from about 2 months ago and I forgot to share it until now. They still are running XP now though!

photo_2019-10-12_23-02-15.png

How popular is Tim Hortons over there? Here the inner part of the cup lids is now maple leaf-shaped! They never attempted this gimmicky patriotic stuff when the company was actually Canadian-owned. :whistle:

Anyway, I announced that the operators of my college's cafeteria were moving away from XP in May. Indeed when the current semester started the XP box appeared to be in a state of network boot failure, presumably. They fixed everything a few weeks ago and now the cashier ignores the Windows 10 POS machine in favour of the XP one!

1 hour ago, win32 said:

How popular is Tim Hortons over there? Here the inner part of the cup lids is now maple leaf-shaped! They never attempted this gimmicky patriotic stuff when the company was actually Canadian-owned. 

Very. This part of New York State has a lot of Timmies. They built a Dunkin Donuts in town a few years ago, it gets almost no business. Tim's is packed to the road every morning. I hear they don't do so well most other places in the 'States, though. Might be how close I am to the Canadian border having to do with everyone here preferring Canada's Favorite Coffee.