Windows XP Spotter (the club)

FranceBB

This is Windows XP at the U.S, Customs and Border Protection checkpoint at the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, as shown on a new episode of the TV series Border Security: America's Front Line. The episode did premiere this month, though there's been a 2 1/2 year gap between seasons, so this was likely filmed in 2017 or 2018.

20190331_193755.jpg

I doubt it. According to statcounter, XP's market share was 1.75% in March; Windows 98SE's share was 2.7% in July 2006 when it ended support.

Nonetheless. there is still the possibility that later today (4/1) M$ may make the decision to extend XP support forever... :D

Edited by win32

42 minutes ago, win32 said:

Nonetheless. there is still the possibility that later today (4/1) M$ may make the decision to extend XP support forever... :D

Really?  That is great news--and it sounds pretty definite!  I'll contact the relevant media outlets, etc., to make sure everybody knows.  I can hardly wait for tomorrow. :P

4 hours ago, win32 said:

I doubt it. According to statcounter, XP's market share was 1.75% in March; Windows 98SE's share was 2.7% in July 2006 when it ended support.

Not really.

1.75% market share is about "connected" devices that are *somehow* used to browse the internet and that can be identified/counted by the *whatever* mechanism is used by the people creating those market share reports, it simply doesn't take into account anything that is either "airgapped" or only connected to an internal network.

What we are seeing here lately are "specialized systems", ATM, POS, Signage, etc. that it is very unlikely that can reach the iternet and be counted in the stats.

jaclaz

OK, not XP, but POSReady 2009 still going strong in my local Marks and Spencer store today, obviously oblivious to its imminent demise!
:lol:

20190404_144540.thumb.jpg.9490d4b99e03be31e679baf2403e5c14.jpg

Edited by Dave-H

As the OP says, all things NT 5.1 or 5.2 go here! Is Windows 2000 eligible, or will posting a sighting here get me banned? :P

And the boot screen for POSReady 2009 says "Windows XP" anyway.

Edited by win32

10 hours ago, win32 said:

As the OP says, all things NT 5.1 or 5.2 go here! Is Windows 2000 eligible, or will posting a sighting here get me banned? :P

And the boot screen for POSReady 2009 says "Windows XP" anyway.

As a matter of fact, you would probably get 7 :w00t: points (3 as for a real XP or 2003 +1 bonus one for it being 2000 and not XP + 3 bonus points for the courage involved in posting a non-XP) if you post a 2000 sighting.

Or you may be banned.

You have to risk to (maybe) get the 4 extra points. ;)

Remember your own machines (or a friends') do not count.

jaclaz

I saw some dentistry commercial on television a few weeks ago that had a computer in the background that was running XP. There was also a cash register computer running Windows XP Pro. at a thrift store that I saw a few months ago. Unfortunately I couldn't get a picture because there were a few people working behind the desk.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

Poor quality photo this time, but at least original content - XP booting in Warsaw suburban train :)

451839871_Xpwkd_maly.jpg.38590c3dabd3c60b238fac09e809e861.jpg

Not sure if pure one or embedded. Photo from today's morning.

The skin is dark blue, so it's probably embedded. :)

Unfortunately, I don't have equally good news. When I was at the reception of the building in which my office is located, I noticed that the POS connected to the computer was different. As I got closer, I noticed that the interface was completely different. While I was getting my keys and signing a document, I saw the screensaver popping up on the POS... "Blimey!" I thought, "it's Linux!". So I pretended to look at my phone and I took a picture.

This is a sign that companies are moving over from XP:

yd7S4sc.jpg

Apparently, old programmes are not compatible with the new Windows 10 Embedded for IoT and since programmers had to rewrite their code anyway, they just switched to Linux to avoid paying the licence and other things.

7 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Apparently, old programmes are not compatible with the new Windows 10 Embedded for IoT and since programmers had to rewrite their code anyway, they just switched to Linux to avoid paying the licence and other things.

That, at least, is good news! May Win 10 rot in Niflheim!