Windows XP Spotter (the club)

FranceBB

I generally buy some top quality Solid caps from Panasonic and recap those old motherboard for my friends and family. I only use Nichicon UES & UFG series caps for audio section of those old motherboard .

A movie theater showing the new Mission Impossible movie apparently used a system with Active Desktop (may be XP, maybe not) and it crashed during playback. Then it showed the Active Desktop recovery page on the big screen.

Twitter embed isn't working, so here is a link directly to the image:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkHoi_5U4AA2NqE.jpg

Going to the grocery store has never been more satisfying. Here in the UK, we have self-checkout at both Saintsbury's and Tesco, which are the two largest companies. Well, it turns out they are running Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, at least the ones at Tesco. Considering how many stores Tesco has all over the UK, they are a considerable amount of machines :D

(The one in the picture didn't display the unexpected item in bagging area error, it simply rebooted and since there's no keyboard, it started a check disk xD)

tesco_windows_xp_self_checkout.jpg

As often happens I may be wrong, but - provided that the picture was originally shot by FranceBB, the attribution by the Register:

A hungry vulture looking for some luncheon snapped this Tesco PoS terminal which seemed to have crashed and rebooted, going via CHKDSK on the way.

seems to me - besides "vague" - slightly offensive. :w00t: :ph34r:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

On my trip to Canada my dad had to renew his fishing license, and they had an XP running for their database access website. Sorry, no picture, there was like 5 people in the way.

Also I went to Canadian Tire, and while there was no XP in sight, there was some interesting stuff.

IMG_1934.jpg

An IBM Dumb terminal!

IMG_1935.jpg

Looks like it's connecting to a mainframe (or something emulating one) to manage inventory

IMG_1936.jpg

Also I found an Dell OptiPlex 740 stuck at the BIOS screen, almost looks like a good chance it could have XP on it

IMG_1937.jpg

And, finally, a price checker running what appears to be an XP-era version of windows CE

Your personal computers in your household don't count. However, if you use XP at your workplace and you are authorised to take a picture, then that computer counts. Everybody here is running Windows XP. If we just take a picture of our computers, it doesn't make much sense. The point is to find companies that run Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center, Windows XP Tablet Edition, Windows Server 2003 or Embedded systems like Windows XP Embedded, Windows Embedded Standard, Windows Embedded POSReady 2009. The point is to get an idea of how much XP is still used in offices and most important in embedded systems. It's a funny way to collect data. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As some of you know, I'm a broadcast engineer and I work as encoder on a broadcast channel.

This time, we were shooting a report on healthy food and one of our reporter has been discussing this matter with one of the experts in the field that works in a lab and makes analysis on milk and other things. 

I was kinda surprised when I found out that the computer they use to run tests on the analysed samples is actually running Windows XP:

ZyAzFoo.jpg

This made my day. :)

Edited by FranceBB

• 2 weeks later...