Windows XP Spotter (the club)

FranceBB

31 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

We fire factory workers on the spot if they are caught taking pictures of anything!

Sure, that would be a serious leak of advanced technology and trade secrets.

jaclaz

That last migration I worked on (2 years ago) at a medical device manufacturer, there were still a handful of XP systems there. They were used to operate some laser systems. The older models used software that worked with XP and the newer models had software that worked with Windows 7, and the even newer models supported Windows 10. These laser systems cost more than a house, so I am sure there is some financial reason why they had to use different versions. Maybe the manufacturer is at fault there, who knows.

We use some "laser weld" machines.  We're up to four of them on the factory floor.  While #3 is a decade old, #4 is only a year old.  All four run XP.

My dentist office's X-Ray is ran by XP.  At least the portion where they show my the pictures which are standard computer images and not some "black transparent film" that they just shine light through from behind it.

• 1 month later...

Well, I really don't know whether it counts or not, but the BBC wrote an article 7 days ago about the increasing number of accidental phone calls to the police now that Android has released a new feature in which if you press the power button 5 times it will send an emergency alert to your emergency contacts and will also call the police for you. https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-65962942

The article has a picture at the very beginning which depicts a police station with operators monitoring incoming calls and on the computer you can clearly see the Windows XP start button with the classic Luna theme:

_130177995_policecontrol-index-pa-315991

Of course, although the article was released as little as 7 days ago, we don't know whether the picture used is a stock photo or if it's a recent one and they're still using XP to run legacy stable software, this is why I said "I don't know if it counts" at the very beginning.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

In my spare time I follow Dave Plummer's YouTube channel where he talks about various different things, mainly about his days at Microsoft many years ago (he's a retired Microsoft employee and, for those who didn't know, he's also the creator of Task Manager).

Anyway, he visited the IBM lab as recently as last week where they're making new modern mainframes and long story short they're still relying on Windows XP on some of their equipment (albeit the embedded version):

zj59P1S.png

In the video, he said:

"and here's where I discovered that they're relying on an old friend, something I've worked on, Windows XP. That's right, their stations still run on Windows XP. I guess when you absolutely, positively, need your fill station to work every time you only rely on the very best".

for those who are curious about the video, you can go to minute 16:35

Edited by FranceBB

The company I work for manufactures control units for the electronics that control hybrid and electric vehicles.

A good 60 percent of our factory floor computers all run XP.  A good 25% all run Linux-based not-really-Linux proprietary OSs.  The other 15% is scattered randomly between Raspberry Pi OS and Win7.

Nothing on the factory floor runs 10 or 11.  And I would say likely never will.