Windows XP Spotter (the club)

FranceBB

Found XP running at the front desk at the local bowling alley.

I tried several times to get a picture but my phone Reeeeeeeally does not like to focus on screens at a distance more than point-blank. (I will try again eventually)

Heres the best I got:

IMG_20180112_120947755.jpg.9ece6ec37be05f1aa7aeb118b4484bf9.jpg

The little screens over by the lanes that show your score appear to be running MS-DOS.

The first lane we tried to use was evidently having an issue:

IMG_20180112_111532600.jpg.1020bcc76ecfd3d87ff0d2b55400c576.jpg

Edited by i430VX

• 3 weeks later...

I got myself a router from the States today. Unfortunately, the seller shipped it to my house in the UK with the American charger, so I went to a local shop here in Queensway. As soon as the guy went behind to look for the adapter I asked, I quickly took a picture of the computer of the shop: a dusty machine running Windows XP Professional. :D

IMG_20180129_193412-min.jpg

Edited by FranceBB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I was watching a tv show called What Would You Do? It was a brand new episode. 

On the show there is a cash register in the background running XP.

apologies, no picture...

• 1 month later...

Windows XP has been spotted at the auto parts store in town:

img_1209.jpg

They have several systems set out on their counter, and this is the only one running XP.

The rest of them run what I think must be Windows 8 Embedded. It has classic theme applied to taskbar, but windows title bars look Windows 8-ish

1 hour ago, i430VX said:

Windows XP has been spotted at the auto parts store in town:

img_1209.jpg

They have several systems set out on their counter, and this is the only one running XP.

The rest of them run what I think must be Windows 8 Embedded. It has classic theme applied to taskbar, but windows title bars look Windows 8-ish

Jack

That looks like a Dell OptiPlex 760 vintage 2006.

1 hour ago, sdfox7 said:

Jack

That looks like a Dell OptiPlex 760 vintage 2006.

I think you may be right. An Iconic working-class computer. The rear of the computer sports a parallel port, and on a breakout board, there was a serial port and PS/2 port. None of which were in use.

Looks to be a Pentium sticker, I think it's too light to be core2duo.

EDIT: After looking up pictures of the rear, I don't believe this is a 760. this particular computer has a single half height slot (where the breakout is) and to the right of that it has two horizontal full height slots.

Edited by i430VX

7 hours ago, i430VX said:

I think you may be right. An Iconic working-class computer. The rear of the computer sports a parallel port, and on a breakout board, there was a serial port and PS/2 port. None of which were in use.

Looks to be a Pentium sticker, I think it's too light to be core2duo.

EDIT: After looking up pictures of the rear, I don't believe this is a 760. this particular computer has a single half height slot (where the breakout is) and to the right of that it has two horizontal full height slots.

Upon reconsideration with the Pentium 4 info you provided, I think it could be a OptiPlex 745. If you go back, let us know!

Your descriptions seems to match Dell's technical specifications:
https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_745techspecs.pdf

The example in the photo appears to be the Desktop/Small Form Factor version showon Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_OptiPlex#Series_3_-_BTX[3][4]

Edited by sdfox7

1 hour ago, sdfox7 said:

Upon reconsideration with the Pentium 4 info you provided, I think it could be a OptiPlex 745. If you go back, let us know!

Your descriptions seems to match Dell's technical specifications:
https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_745techspecs.pdf

The example in the photo appears to be the Desktop/Small Form Factor version showon Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_OptiPlex#Series_3_-_BTX[3][4]

Don't worry. I'll certainly be back there. I go through spray lubricant, oil, and carb cleaner like crazy with all the small engine projects I take up.

The 745 still doesn't look to have the specific slot design I mentioned, but I will certainly look at the model  next time I am there.

Edited by i430VX

About the Optiplex, I was looking at the Wikipedia page out of curiosity when I found something worth quoting:

"Older OptiPlex models suffered from frequent failures due to faulty capacitors supplied by Nichicon. These capacitors would bulge and leak, resulting in product failure after only a few years of use. Leaked internal documents allege that Dell knew that the computers were likely to fail, and continued to ship them."

"Bravo" to Dell...

*Claps hands ironically*

8 hours ago, FranceBB said:

About the Optiplex, I was looking at the Wikipedia page out of curiosity when I found something worth quoting:

"Older OptiPlex models suffered from frequent failures due to faulty capacitors supplied by Nichicon. These capacitors would bulge and leak, resulting in product failure after only a few years of use. Leaked internal documents allege that Dell knew that the computers were likely to fail, and continued to ship them."

"Bravo" to Dell...

*Claps hands ironically*

Ah yes, the Bad Old Days of the capacitor plague. Evidently this one is still going strong. I wonder how the caps look. 

Speaking of failures, I went to a hardware store recently and their inventory computer's (With Windows 7, booo...) PSU fan was not spinning. I'm 99.999% sure based on the amount of dust on the fan and the generic look of the PSU that it was an "always on" fan control system. Needless to say, those caps Inside are going to get broiled. :crazy:

Edited by i430VX