Windows XP Spotter (the club)

FranceBB

I wasn't able to take a photo, but I just flew halfway across Canada, and every airport here runs Windows XP on their computers at the stands where they inspect your boarding passes just before boarding!

And most of them use the default Fisher Price Luna theme!

7 hours ago, vwestlife said:

The cash registers at Goodwill stores use XP-based Windows Embedded POSReady 2009.

It seems to be different in the Finger Lakes Region. Here they all run Windows 7 with the classic theme.

I think I remember seeing a few instances of XP in the wild lately, but I can't remember exactly where :/

Nevertheless, as 16 year-old operating systems go, it's far from extinct, a fact proven by our numerous recently reported sightings.

on a somewhat related note, I remember seeing Windows 2000 Advanced Server in the wild once, about 10 years ago. it was still being supported then, but even so, actually finding it was quite rare even then, since the vast majority of people had already long since switched to XP.

Except me, of course :) (from 2004-2006, I ran either XP, 2000 or 98 as my main OS, depending on what computer I was using (I had an old eMachines at one point, and with a 466 MHz Celeron, 256 MB of RAM and an 8 GB hard drive, XP was not fun; 2000 ran okay, but it was clearly meant for 98 first and foremost).

c

Edited by cc333

No photos this time :> but this evening, at a local grocery/mini market, or however you'll call it, I've heard some glorious XP's login, notification and error sounds coming from store's radio speakers ;) However, which version was it, remains a mystery...

I wanted to buy some fresh dill leaves for fried cod, and they got all sold-out this day, so I had to get away with dried one... but at least I stumbled upon XP :>

Windows POSReady 2009 has been spotted at a Canoe Shop.

I am responsible for it being there, I am involved with the business and that was their loaner system until I got them their new Windows 7 PC up and running to replace a dead HP AIO.POSReady 2009s.thumb.jpg.1e9ffcde638c3b05a01a2f7cbef69962.jpg

Dell Dimension 4700 if anybody's curious

Edited by i430VX

9 hours ago, Dibya said:

I have spotted xp in my local nokia service centre 

2 hours ago, slayer1994 said:

There are a lot of places that are still using windows xp here. XP and Windows 98 are my favourite OS.

and imagine here some more posts by people that didn't actually read (or did not fully understand :w00t:) the first post by FranceBB:

Welcome to the club "Windows XP Spotter", a club which aims to collect pictures of running Windows XP (or XP based, like WES, WePOS, POSReady2009 and Server 2003) machines during these days.

BTW, I know a man who has a cousin who married a girl whose father runs XP in his basement :whistle:.

jaclaz

TWO XP sightings today! :cool:

First one was at  CountryMax ( a farm/pet supply store). It was on a cash register. Interestingly, the other two registers ran 7 and 10, leaving none with the same OS. :dubbio:
No picture for this one, sorry, the cashiers were conveniently in the way.

The second was Windows XP Embedded at Wegmans (Grocery Store), on a scale. Amusingly it was stuck logging on.

They have many scales there, they probably run XP embedded as well.

IMG_20171231_154424412.thumb.jpg.1cdaa0796159e749f8fd2f4e214e3ed6.jpg

Edited by i430VX