Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


Jody Thornton

Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Success finally. All updates installed and Avast 18.8 running OK now.

@Vistapocalypse. Thanks for your link to spiceworks. I was following that thread too and the persistence of @spicehead-3vg61 grabbed the attention of @Peter (Avast) mentioning my original post here at MSFN. The first Avast/AVG micro-update (released in April) did indeed change my registry settings for Csrss as @artomberus showed in his screen shot (but in my case using Avast instead of AVG) but my system was still BSOD on reboot.

Avast was showing:-

Avast program version 18.8.2356 (build 18.8.4084.0)

Virus definitions version 190521-4

 After confirmation from @Peter (Avast) on 4th June, I ran the Avast Emergency Updater: (just to be sure) (at this stage I had not seen a difference in the ‘About Avast info’)

C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvEmUpdate.exe as detailed here. After a reboot:

Avast now showing:-

Avast program version 18.8.2356 (build 18.8.4084.0)

Virus definitions version 190606-4

It appears that Avast Free (For Home) did not update to program version 19.3 (and later to 19.5) as indicated here

Quote

Peter (Avast) wrote:

Although this was not widely reported as far as I am aware, this issue has been confirmed. Our developers released a microupdate to resolve the issue for KB4489887 Windows Server 2008 compatibility as of a few hours ago.

Quote

I don't have any more specific information to share, but it looks like this has also been acknowledged in our release notes for AV 19.5 (releasing today) and it is likely what was included in this microupdate is "officially" included in this release.

for (Avast Business Antivirus) but remains at 18.8, BUT now the second micro-update (within the Virus definition update) (released on 4th June) has resolved the BSOD and I am now up to date with MS Updates...Phew! 

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Stevo said:

Success finally. All updates installed and Avast 18.8 running OK now...

Great news! Double posting should generally be avoided, but this is big news for both threads. I feel much more positive about the Windows 6.0 build-number change knowing that it does not preclude using the most popular third-party antivirus (albeit a legacy version). :D

On a sadder note, there are probably Avast/AVG users running Vista out there who do not follow this thread, but heard about BlueKeep and took Microsoft's advice to install KB4499180, got BSODs, and wrongly concluded that installing Server 2008 updates on Vista is a very bad idea. :(

Edit: AskWoody members might want to post here.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just one more thing about May's updates: The security only KB4499180 file posted 5/11/2019 was replaced by a new file version posted 6/3/2019. The KB article still states "Microsoft is not currently aware of any issues with this update," so I can only speculate about any changes. Since this was the BlueKeep patch recommended for Vista, and since monthly rollup KB4499149 was not replaced, it seems likely that changes were made with Vista in mind. Edit: Upon closer inspection of the x86 version, the digital signature still says May 10 and the extracted text document still says File Version="1" :wacko:

It's hard to believe that another Patch Tuesday has arrived, however the new updates have not been released at this hour. I hope that another forum member will step forward to do the honors this month.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some repository updates. Seems like the new June updates haven't caused any issues compared to the May updates(?).

  • Replaced Monthly Rollup with the new KB4503273 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Added Security Only Updates, KB4499180 and KB4503287 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • Replaced Internet Explorer Cumulative Update with KB4503259 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • Replaced .NET Framework Security and Quality with:
    -KB4495604 for .NET 2.0 SP2 (located in "/NET 2.0 SP2/Security and Quality Rollup")
    -KB4495596 for .NET 4.5.2 (located in "/NET 4.5.2/Security and Quality Rollup")
    -KB4495588 for .NET 4.6-4.6.1 (located in "/NET 4.6-4.6.1/Security and Quality Rollup")
  • Added .NET Security Only Updates with:
    -KB4495609 for .NET 2.0 SP2 (located in "/NET 2.0 SP2/Security Only")
    -KB4495593 for .NET 4.5.2 (located in "/NET 4.5.2/Security Only")
    -KB4495587 for .NET 4.6-4.6.1 (located in "/NET 4.6-4.6.1/Security Only")
  • Added a new folder into the root directory of the repository named SHA2 with the Servicing Stack update KB4493730 and KB4474419 (new version that fixes SHA2 support for MSI files) and a readme explaining why these updates are needed
  • Added Extra updates KB4501226 (located in "/Extras") with an updated readme file

Guess this could also count has the changelog for updates released this month. If there are any issues do post to warn others.
BTW, should I include the .NET Framework 4.7.2 installer and instructions on how to install it? Could be interesting.

https://mega.nz/#F!txxRyLzC!1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Added a new folder into the root directory of the repository named SHA2 with the Servicing Stack update KB4493730 and KB4474419 (new version that fixes SHA2 support for MSI files) and a readme explaining why these updates are needed

@artomberus reported issues with the original KB4474419 in his June 4 post. Perhaps the June 11 version has fixed those issues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Vistapocalypse, I just now installed Windows6.0-KB4474419-v2-x86.msu successfully, rebooted, and haven't any issues, at least for now. The initial version of the update gives in the result the issues I mentioned. At least - on my computer. So good news :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2019 at 7:23 PM, greenhillmaniac said:

Here's some repository updates. Seems like the new June updates haven't caused any issues compared to the May updates(?).

  • Replaced Monthly Rollup with the new KB4503273 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Added Security Only Updates, KB4499180 and KB4503287 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • Replaced Internet Explorer Cumulative Update with KB4503259 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • Replaced .NET Framework Security and Quality with:
    -KB4495604 for .NET 2.0 SP2 (located in "/NET 2.0 SP2/Security and Quality Rollup")
    -KB4495596 for .NET 4.5.2 (located in "/NET 4.5.2/Security and Quality Rollup")
    -KB4495588 for .NET 4.6-4.6.1 (located in "/NET 4.6-4.6.1/Security and Quality Rollup")
  • Added .NET Security Only Updates with:
    -KB4495609 for .NET 2.0 SP2 (located in "/NET 2.0 SP2/Security Only")
    -KB4495593 for .NET 4.5.2 (located in "/NET 4.5.2/Security Only")
    -KB4495587 for .NET 4.6-4.6.1 (located in "/NET 4.6-4.6.1/Security Only")
  • Added a new folder into the root directory of the repository named SHA2 with the Servicing Stack update KB4493730 and KB4474419 (new version that fixes SHA2 support for MSI files) and a readme explaining why these updates are needed
  • Added Extra updates KB4501226 (located in "/Extras") with an updated readme file

Guess this could also count has the changelog for updates released this month. If there are any issues do post to warn others.
BTW, should I include the .NET Framework 4.7.2 installer and instructions on how to install it? Could be interesting.

https://mega.nz/#F!txxRyLzC!1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w

If I install "Replaced Monthly Rollup with the new KB4503273" is it neccessary to install "Added Security Only Updates, KB4499180 and KB4503287" ??

Thank you

Edited by TurulMM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, TurulMM said:

If I install "Replaced Monthly Rollup with the new KB4503273" is it neccessary to install "Added Security Only Updates, KB4499180 and KB4503287" ??

I think I clarify this issue in the readme located at the root of the repository, but no. Monthly Rollups contain all previous and current patches for Windows and Internet Explorer. Security Only is for folks who don't want to use Monthly Rollups and wish to select which patches to install.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

I think I clarify this issue in the readme located at the root of the repository, but no. Monthly Rollups contain all previous and current patches for Windows and Internet Explorer. Security Only is for folks who don't want to use Monthly Rollups and wish to select which patches to install.

Thank you.

My another question would be that the SHA2 KB4493730 update says: it doesnt applicable for my system. What should I do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lambo said:

Thank you.

My another question would be that the SHA2 KB4493730 update says: it doesnt applicable for my system. What should I do?

Maybe it's already installed in your system. Vista throws that error when updates are already installed (or when they really aren't applicable, but most of the time it's the former).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You was right it was already installed, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Vista/Server 2008 also suffer from the same phenomenon as XP/POSReady 2009 and Win7 where patches released after mid-2018 started to require SSE2 support? I'm looking to spin up a Vista install on a P3 system, and need to know if there are certain updates that will break on a non-SSE2 processor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2019 at 9:34 PM, maxtherabbit said:

Does Vista/Server 2008 also suffer from the same phenomenon as XP/POSReady 2009 and Win7 where patches released after mid-2018 started to require SSE2 support?

My guess would be "yes," but I don't own a non-SSE2 processor and therefore don't actually know. If running dear old Vista on even older hardware was a great idea, I'm sure that more people would have upgraded 11 or 12 years ago instead of sticking with XP. I see @erpdude8 has already responded to your Windows 7 thread, and I have no idea who else might have an answer for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2019 at 10:34 PM, maxtherabbit said:

Does Vista/Server 2008 also suffer from the same phenomenon as XP/POSReady 2009 and Win7 where patches released after mid-2018 started to require SSE2 support? I'm looking to spin up a Vista install on a P3 system, and need to know if there are certain updates that will break on a non-SSE2 processor

I guess this is an excuse to mess around with the vista install on my piii machine, I’ll try them one by one and look for troubles

Edited by i430VX
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2019 at 7:34 PM, maxtherabbit said:

Does Vista/Server 2008 also suffer from the same phenomenon as XP/POSReady 2009 and Win7 where patches released after mid-2018 started to require SSE2 support? I'm looking to spin up a Vista install on a P3 system, and need to know if there are certain updates that will break on a non-SSE2 processor

Edit 6/22: maybe on Vista/Server 2008.  not on XP/POSReady 2009 (as in unaffected).  new updates from mid-2018 to April 2019 for XP/POSReady are safe to install, even for non-SSE2 systems as the Meltdown/Spectre security fixes were never backported to XP/POSReady.  the non-SSE2 problem with newer updates past mid-2018 seems to be limited to 32bit Win7 only

although MS has not updated MS KB article 4090450 in a long time as to whether or not a fix for the non-SSE2 problem will be addressed for Vista/Server 2008 SP2 (but maybe MS has "silently" addressed the non-SSE2 blue screen problems in newer updates made in mid-2018 and beyond; they're just not saying anything about it)

however, try installing the KB4340583 security update on Vista SP2 on an old PC using an AMD Athlon XP CPU - that updates the amdk7.sys file.

Edited by erpdude8
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...