Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Jody Thornton

Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

52 minutes ago, WinClient5270 said:

Thanks @greenhillmaniac for the great efforts you're putting into this. Once I get a new PSU for my Vista machine (old one went out on me) I'll definitely be making use of this. :)

I wish I had a "Vista machine" to tinker around, lol. All I have is my work/gaming station with the Core i5 3570 and the R9 380. I know both are Vista compatible (I've made the second one with tweaks), but I need to use up to date programs, and Vista just doesn't cut it these days. The other machine I have is a Kaby Lake HP. Both are running heavily tweaked Windows 10 (I like Forza, don't judge me!). Someday I'll have the income to mantain multiple systems for multiple OSes. One can dream :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well thank you to both WinClient5270 and Greenhillmaniac.  I plan to run Vista until about year's end.  Once I have a new machine, I'm back to Windows 8 (thereby freeing the license for a newer PC).

So I suppose I'll install all of the January and February updates then, and just skip the Spectre and Meltdown patches.  Also @Greenhillmaniac, I appreciate the script installation suggestion, but I'm fine with installing manually.  I just find that the update situation is getting more confusing.  You sir, are doing a tremendous service.

6 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

I wish I had a "Vista machine" to tinker around, lol. All I have is my work/gaming station with the Core i5 3570 and the R9 380. I know both are Vista compatible (I've made the second one with tweaks), but I need to use up to date programs, and Vista just doesn't cut it these days. The other machine I have is a Kaby Lake HP. Both are running heavily tweaked Windows 10 (I like Forza, don't judge me!). Someday I'll have the income to mantain multiple systems for multiple OSes. One can dream :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm not much of a gamer by any means, so I can still make Vista work. I only browse the web, run VMs, and create content on my YouTube channel, so Vista can still do those things just fine.

Where I'll draw the line is when there are no more web browsers being updated on it. At that point, I'll probably move to macOS or some distribution of Linux exclusively, as Windows 10 is far too flawed and out of control for me to use it, and it's only a matter of time before 7 and 8.x become unfeasible due to application support declining. 

If you ever want to build a Vista machine, a Sandy Bridge motherboard that supports Ivy Bridge CPUs is certainly the way to go. Best platforms for XP and Vista, hands down. :)

9 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

Where I'll draw the line is when there are no more web browsers being updated on it. At that point, I'll probably move to macOS or some distribution of Linux exclusively, as Windows 10 is far too flawed and out of control for me to use it, and it's only a matter of time before 7 and 8.x become unfeasible due to application support declining.

But Windows 8 will allow a good five years run from this point, and it runs VERY well (I have to say now that I can easily tell that it runs better than Vista)

What baffles me more than anything though is over at the DM Vista Forums at vistax64.com, there is ZERO interest in using these updates for Vista.  One guy (townsbg) one who sorta has become the "go to guy" for most things Vista" over there pretty much poo poo'd on the whole thing, saying maybe Microsoft will put some sort of routine to reject the updates (basically raining on our parade).

I just posted now, saying here we are basically a year in with much success.  Although it was just as silent on their Windows 8 Forum when it came to a similar subject, so I expect little more on the Vista Forum.  Still sad though.

I find I really embrace these forums, especially since I've found my niche in the Windows 8 and Windows Vista communities.  Too bad too, because I really enjoy debating with those running XP and 9x, but they won't have it.  So I'll stay off their turf.  Things are good here at MSFN.

Wow... this is great work guys!

I was able to use @greenhillmaniac repository and successfully install virtually all Updates on my Vista 32 Business computer.  The Batch File he included was awesome!

Also installed MS Security Essentials as outlined previously and all works great!

The only update I'm unable to install is KB4019276 (to add support for TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2).

I've downloaded the Windows6.0-KB4019276-TLS-x86.msu from @greenhillmaniac's link in the Extras's folder and I've tried to download/install older versions from the MS Update Catalog, but they all fail, saying "Windows Update Standalone Installer, The update does not apply to your system"

I don't have any prior installs of KB4019276, so I'm not sure why it's not installing.

Any ideas to test/try ?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

John Richard --

Maybe you've actually installed one of those earlier versions of the update?   Or perhaps you weren't using IE 9 or have something else selected as your primary browswer?  I'd think if it were still on the hard drive that Vista would accept updates affecting IE 9, but I might be wrong.

Edited by mike_shupp
reread previous post. pulled foot from mouth

Thanks @mike_shupp

I just tried downloading the three 32bit versions again (July 18, 2017; Sep 09, 2019; Nov 10, 2017).  They all behave the same way when I try to install them.  I tried changing the default browser to IE9 but still get same message as my prior post.

I wonder if another update is interfering with it?

Well... turns out that KB4019478 was already installed, which was the reason for the error message.  I had searched Installed Updates but I could swear it didn't show up.  I booted into Safe Mode, then rebooted again.  This time, I'm finding KB4019478 in the list. Go figure :)

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, JohnRichardTLH said:

Well... turns out that KB4019478 was already installed, which was the reason for the error message.  I had searched Installed Updates but I could swear it didn't show up.  I booted into Safe Mode, then rebooted again.  This time, I'm finding KB4019478 in the list. Go figure :)

Yeah... Unlike the error messages from Windows 7+, where it clearly says the update is already installed on the computer, in Vista it just says that the update is not applicable on your PC... A bit more annoying, but manageable.

Edited by greenhillmaniac

16 hours ago, JohnRichardTLH said:

The only update I'm unable to install is KB4019276 (to add support for TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2). I've downloaded the Windows6.0-KB4019276-TLS-x86.msu

14 hours ago, JohnRichardTLH said:

turns out that KB4019478 was already installed, which was the reason for the error message.

I don't get it :rolleyes: ... Why having KB4019478 already installed prevented you from installing KB4019276 ??? (Unless this is a typo, of course... ;) )

14 hours ago, JohnRichardTLH said:

I had searched Installed Updates but I could swear it didn't show up

In my case, I always let "Installed Updates" completely finish populating the relevant entries, which can take a while on my system, and only then proceed with typing in the search bar the update ID, always including the KB characters (i.e. a search for KB4019276 will succeed, but a search for just 4019276 will fail! :angry: )

BTW, @JohnRichardTLH and @mike_shupp, welcome to the Vista Community of the MSFN forums :yes::) ! The more we are, the merrier... :cool:

Hi @greenhillmaniac thanks for the context.

Hi @VistaLover Yes, having it already installed was what caused the message/failure to reinstall. It was odd... I tried using the Search Bar (in add/remove programs) and tried it with & without the KB in front, and nothing came up.  However, after I booted in Safe Mode, then rebooted in Normal Mode, it was there.

On 3/14/2018 at 12:25 PM, Jody Thornton said:

So Ruan - what has been the consensus on these?  Does there seem to be any performace issues or problems?

No noticeable problems with Jan/ Feb updates, however March was a different story...

All March updates installed fine, and system seemed to be running well at first, but then I found that if I log-off one user account to switch to another, Vista crashes and reboots :( . Anybody else experiencing this?

Overall, I had to uninstall KB4089229 & KB4090450 as they break Sandboxie, and  KB4089344, to cure the crash/reboot problem.

Anyone else have any update hiccups this month?

Posted (edited)

@Ruan - I can confirm that I experience the bluescreen issue on my Vista Business x64 virtual machine:

ydckeGEWRCqgN7P3tRDmGQ.png

However, the article on the update that you linked (KB4089344) points out this problem:

Known issues in this security update:

Symptom: 

After you install this security update, you may receive a Stop error message that resembles the following when you log off the computer:

SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT (ab)

Workaround:

To work around this issue, disable the Desktop Window Manager. To do this, type the following commands at an elevated command prompt:

sc config uxsms start= disabled
sc stop uxsms

I performed the workaround on my Vista install, and found that the problem no longer occurs. However, since I (and most likely most Vista users these days) prefer to have the Desktop Window Manager enabled, this solution will likely only be viable for users of Windows Vista on older video cards which don't support Aero/DWM, or users of Windows Vista Starter (which doesn't support Aero). The issue likely occurs in Server 2008 as well, but being a Server OS, most users are going to have the DWM turned off anyway so I doubt it will be much of an issue for users of that OS.

As for the Sandboxie issues, what symptoms are you experiencing exactly? I don't use the software myself, so forgive my ignorance, but I am able to run the program just fine on my fully updated Vista VM:

3kzhtDR7TtKokqT8wt6xcQ.png

Thanks for reporting these issues. :)

Edited by WinClient5270
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ruan said:

Anyone else have any update hiccups this month?

No trouble (yet) with March updates, but I had a problem with KB4073080 from back in January -- shortly after installing it, the things I was running on PC basically froze (as I recall, IE 9, eMule, Win Explorer, Notepad or something on this order).   I restored my last backup and reinstalled the January updates at a one per day rate. and the same update caused the same problem when I got to it.

I'm running  Vista HP SP2 x64 on an AMD FX870 on an Asus Sabertooth MB.  I've 16 GB of memory.  Vista's on a 1TB WD disk, Win 7 and 10 on 2TB Seagate disks..

FWIW, my copy of the that update was downloaded 1/16/18.  MS reissued the update in February, perhaps with changes, but the 64-bit file (AMD64-all-windows6.0-kb4073080 ....621fe.msu) retains the same  size, same long filename, same internal time stamp.   I seem to be running okay without it.

Edited by mike_shupp