Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Jody Thornton

Well my June updates overwrote my patched UX Theme files.  So I had to revert to a Classic Theme (until that point, I had various desktop elements overtop of a black screen).  Then I re-patched my theme files, and reapplied my Media Center visual styles - Good Times!

• 2 weeks later...

JohnRichardTLH:

I installed the July 11th updates on my Vista x64 system.   I got a Does Not Apply message from the KB4339854 update, but everything else seems to run without causing any difficulties.  Microsoft has reissued many or all of these patches, but looking at the later versions, at last for X64, I see the same files with the same hash codes, so I suspect they haven't changed at all, but have simply been given new issue dates to agree with the patches for Win 7 thru 10 which were altered.   Of course, you should double check since you've got an x86 system, but  I'd be surprised if any difference shows up there either.

So, you're safe, methinks.  On to August!

Truly the give that goes on gifting ...

It turns out Microsoft was unwilling to let the month expire without one more round of patches, so for us Vista/Server 2008 SP2 folks as of July 30 there is one additional update: KB4346743, an upgrade for .NET Framework 2.0, in the usual x64, x86, Itanium versions, available only at the Microsoft Update Catalog site.  

I haven't tried it yet, and I'll probably stall for a couple of weeks, and get to after my next backup.

And I think that finally is it for this month.   

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I spoke too soon ...  Two weeks later almost I find a couple more .NET Framework upgrades with the July 30 date:

For .NET 4.5 :   ndp45-kb4346410

For .NET 4.6:    ndp46-kb4346407

Again, available only at the Microsoft Update Catalog site. 

I have installed the following: KB4338380, KB4340937, KB4340939, KB4341832, KB4343674, and KB4344104

For .NET v2.0 I installed the KB4346743 that mike_shupp mentioned, in addition to KB4344176 for this month.  IE9 was offered KB4343205, and I installed it.

Vista has rebooted and lived to tell about it.  So I will partake in September's updates (or it could just be a unified update, we'll have to wait and see).  Then I will be leaving you fine folks on my way to a newer machine with Windows 8.

@Jody Thornton thanks for the update.  I have Windows 8 on another machine... not so bad... especially when I install ClassicShell for the Start Menu ;)

I had to pull back on the Vista/Server2008 Updates the other day.  I use a program called Chief Architect, which had been working fine.  I noticed when rendering 3D models, instead of taking 5 seconds, it was taking 50 seconds!  I checked various other issues (video drivers, ram, background programs/services), but couldn't isolate it to anything.  I restored to an April 2018 Backup (which did have the March 2018 patches/updates) and it went back to 5 seconds.  So I suspect "something" happened in the April/May/June Patches (had not yet done July/August).  If I have some spare time, maybe I'll read the various Patches and see if any of them could have impacted Video Card/3D Rendering.

25 minutes ago, JohnRichardTLH said:

@Jody Thornton thanks for the update.  I have Windows 8 on another machine... not so bad... especially when I install ClassicShell for the Start Menu ;)

I had to pull back on the Vista/Server2008 Updates the other day.  I use a program called Chief Architect, which had been working fine.  I noticed when rendering 3D models, instead of taking 5 seconds, it was taking 50 seconds!  I checked various other issues (video drivers, ram, background programs/services), but couldn't isolate it to anything.  I restored to an April 2018 Backup (which did have the March 2018 patches/updates) and it went back to 5 seconds.  So I suspect "something" happened in the April/May/June Patches (had not yet done July/August).  If I have some spare time, maybe I'll read the various Patches and see if any of them could have impacted Video Card/3D Rendering.

Now that's concerning. I thought that perhaps (anecdotally) performance felt a tad slower. Perhaps I should try uninstalling the updates after March, just to see.

Well I'm back to a March 2018 system (minus the the updates for Spectre/Meltdown), and I still have .NET 2x and IE9 updates until August.

New Moon's QuickDial page "could" be loading faster, and Windows Mail seems like it might be a bit spiffier.  But it's hard to really tell.  I wonder if there's a more surefire way to test performance between updates.

One thing.  uTorrent v2.2.1 seems to close gracefully, whereas recently, I wasn't able to get uTorrent out of RAM complete until I restarted the system.  Now it seems to close properly.  Hmmmmm!  This lends a LOT more credence to @NoelC's findings on Windows 8x slowdowns from recent updates.

Makes me wonder if I should uninstall back to January (ensuring December 2017 updates are the last ones)

Edited by Jody Thornton
Additional Information

For what it's worth, I always benchmark my systems with Passmark PerformanceTest after I've made any changes such as updates, driver installs, etc.  I have years of stored results, so I can say whether and when various slowdowns occurred.  This system (now 5 years old) has never run quite as efficiently as when I was running Windows 7.  But that difference is small and I do enjoy the few things Win 8.1 has brought to the party.  With Aero Glass it's a very good system.  Plus it runs various other Windows versions in virtual machines quite well, so I have a "have cake and eat it too" situation.

ScreenGrab_W10VM_2018_08_15_165534.thumb.png.800348b8292c16751427393211263990.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC