Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Jody Thornton

someone over there https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/restore-windows-update-for-vista.82336/ made a WU patcher to enable its function again. you can get it from here https://1drv.ms/u/s!AubsH71V5bOkkmIPXEQi0fbX_45f?e=5KEwYg

i canconfirm that it works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Can you please answer to my questions ?

a. i have vista home os 32 bit with all security windows updates up to febr 2020  ( kb4538484 included and feb updates installed also)

can i install newest months  kb patches  without messing with  bypass utilitiy from mydigitallife forum or what?

b. i have read some thread posts here about dwm flickering problems after installing  is it safe to install new kb updates or this problem remains ?

Edited by kovalski

• 3 months later...

As there has been no information shared for the past few months, I'm curious if there has still been success installing the monthly Server 2008 updates on Windows Vista?

If so, what updates have been installed?

If not, what updates have been troublesome?

On 3/12/2021 at 6:14 PM, XPHomeSP3 said:

As there has been no information shared for the past few months, I'm curious if there has still been success installing the monthly Server 2008 updates on Windows Vista?

If so, what updates have been installed?

If not, what updates have been troublesome?

No problems here. :)

I apply the Security Only Quality Updates and Cumulative Security Updates for Internet Explorer 9.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=2021-03+server+2008

For Vista x64 you have to apply a workaround to install the Internet Explorer updates:

- start cmd as administrator
- change location to the folder that contain msu file, example cd /d C:\updates
- copy/paste and execute these commands (preferably one by one)

mkdir .\tmp
expand.exe -f:*Windows*.cab *kb5000800-x64*.msu . >nul
expand.exe -f:* *kb5000800-x64*.cab .\tmp >nul
start /w PkgMgr.exe /ip /m:"%cd%\tmp\package_2_for_kb5000800~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.0.mum" /quiet /norestart
start /w PkgMgr.exe /ip /m:"%cd%\tmp\package_3_for_kb5000800~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.0.mum" /quiet /norestart
del /f /q *kb5000800-x64*.cab
rd /s /q tmp

Restart

You can do this with each new IE9 update, just make sure to specify the correct KB number and name for package_2_/package_3_

Edited by nicolaasjan

• 1 month later...

Just discovered this thread, awesome! I don't claim to know a whole lot about software, but I did manage to install most of the updates from the MEGA link, (https://mega.nz/#F!txxRyLzC!1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w), but any of them with an .exe extension won't install due to "windows installer service could not be accessed", I applied some common fixes and repairs with no success. When I run System File Checker /verifyonly, it finds multiple integrity issues.  If I let SFC repair them, will it rollback the updates?

Thank-you

1 hour ago, Diehard said:

...When I run System File Checker /verifyonly, it finds multiple integrity issues.  If I let SFC repair them, will it rollback the updates?

Welcome to MSFN! We have a lot of “diehards” here! Contrary to the predictions of naysayers who warned many Vista users against installing these updates, no issues related to sfc /scannow have ever been reported as far as I can recall. (The extended kernel discussed elsewhere in this forum is another matter entirely: scannow will reportedly “fix the corrupted files” if that is installed.)

Thank you for your quick reply, it is my understanding that the system file checker "repairs" these files by replacing them with original versions from the installation media, if these files have been updated would the updates not be lost?

20 minutes ago, Diehard said:

...it is my understanding that the system file checker "repairs" these files by replacing them with original versions from the installation media, if these files have been updated would the updates not be lost?

I’m not a leading authority, but if your understanding was accurate, then scannow could obliterate any and all Windows updates - not just Server 2008 updates installed on Vista - unless your installation media was slipstreamed with all possible updates to begin with. When an update is installed, I believe backup copies of files are cached.

There is no reason to be fearful of these updates. It’s not like Microsoft simply forgot to block installation on Vista: the updates contain extractable text documents that plainly list Vista under applicability info. Vista and Server 2008 SP2 are both Windows 6.0. (Beginning in April 2019, the build number changed from 6.0.6002 to 6003, which was a little scary - and in fact I stayed on 6002, but would not rule out “upgrading” if I decide that I must have SHA-2 support on Vista.)

Okay, thanks.

I'm still leery of letting sfc run through its 800 kb CBS.log since otherwise my computer seems to be working fine, maybe I'll just live without those particular net updates.

5 hours ago, Diehard said:

I'm still leery of letting sfc run...

A diehard naysayer? Suit yourself then.

I hesitate to ask (because it’s more likely a VMWare issue), but has anyone running Vista 6.0.6003 x64 updated to February 2021 or later noticed audio issues with VLC 3.x?

So I got the nerve to run sfc and it fixed the integrity issues, ( and everything else still seems to work ), but the .exe updates from the MEGA link still can't access windows installer.  I looked deeper into them and discovered that perhaps they are looking for MSI ver 3.1, whereas I have ver 4.5.

Quote below from file "Strings.xml" included in "NDP45-KB4020507-x86.exe" from the MEGA files.

" <!-- MSI 3.1 required dialog -->
    <IDS_MSI31_REQUIRED>#(loc.ids_msi31_required)</IDS_MSI31_REQUIRED>"

3 hours ago, Diehard said:

KB4020507

KB4020507 was a March 2017 update for .NET Framework 4.5.2. That was indeed the 4.x version that Windows Update used to offer for Vista, but it does not follow that someone actually has it installed in 2021 (maybe check programs and features > uninstall a program). If you manually installed a 4.6.x version, then the equivalent update was KB4020503. (VistaLover mentioned that one in his May 15, 2017 post because he had .NET 4.6.1.) Furthermore, Package Details at the Catalog say KB4020507 was replaced by KB4345682, so there should be no need for it if more recent .NET updates have been (or can be) installed.

On 5/2/2021 at 8:48 AM, Diehard said:

KB4020507

After further thought, it seems likely that @greenhillmaniac never noticed that KB4020507 for .NET 4.5.2 was replaced by KB4345682, apparently in August 2018. (There is no mention of it in greenhillmaniac’s detailed August 23, 2018 post, nor is the update in the repository.) You may want to try installing it from this Catalog link to see if you have better luck. It was apparently never replaced. (The same update evidently replaced a Vista-era .NET 2.0 update, KB3142023.)

Edit: There was actually a discussion between VistaLover and greenhillmaniac on Page 2 as to whether KB4020503 (which, again, was the 4.6.x equivalent of KB4020507 for 4.5.2) should be included in the repository, with VistaLover arguing against it.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

The problem I'm still having is that none of the .exe files from the MEGA link can find the windows installer, even though the service is running, and if I type msiexec in the run command it opens windows installer 4.5.

Did you try re-registering all the Installer dlls and such, or maybe reinstalling 4.5 altogether??  It seems to me that 4.5 usually supersedes 3.1, and anything that expects 3.1 should work just fine with 4.5, so maybe there's some subtle corruption going on somewhere....

Unless you can confirm it works 100% with anything other than the updates you're attempting to run?

c