Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Jody Thornton

17 hours ago, hydro2duo said:

Through AU, it doesn't list any specific number. It is known IE9 depends on it [Platform Update], however - best bet would be to fire up a clean SP2, and check what's installed after IE9.

Also AU on a clean Vista SP2 still works and everything's there as of 8am GMT+1 today when the "speedup" patches are applied, so that at least gives us time.

Hope Imacri sees your second paragraph.  As for your first paragraph: Platform Update is no mystery (and is not a Server 2008 update).  I discussed it here.

• 2 weeks later...

I just downloaded July rollup KB4507452, and it is quite true that it only has an sha256 digital signature - which should come as no surprise to anyone who has been following this thread. However, if Born's blog reader Gero H. (or anyone else for that matter) has been updating their Windows 6.0 on a regular basis, then why was April's servicing stack update KB4493730 skipped? We might assume that Gero H. intended to conduct a test, however the blog post states nothing of the sort. Even more questionable is this:

There are two more updates for Server 2008 SP2, this is KB4474419 in v1 and v2. KB4474419 describes “re-released to add missing MSI SHA-2 code sign support”. My test system (Vista x64 Ultimate VM) does not need this and rejects it with “does not apply to your system”. It doesn’t matter if v1 or v2 is tried.

MSFN member @artomberus reported successfully installing v2 on his Vista x86 system in a June 15 post in this thread, having earlier installed v1 only to experience issues with it. (Personally, I'm still running Windows 6.0.6002.)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, Folks!

Finally got my Vista system back running again after nearly 4 months. Anyhow, just thought I'd pop by and post how updating went.

May 2019
KB4474419  SHA-2 code signing support
KB4499180
pcicompatforserialnumber
IE-KB4498206
.NET (KB4498964) KB4495609

Jun 2019
KB4474419  SHA-2 code signing support V2
IE-KB4503259
KB4503287

Jul 2019
KB4507461
IE-KB4507434
.NET KB4506975

Aug 2019
KB4512491
IE-KB4511872
KB4517301 (fix for the VB/VBA/VBScript bugs)

All installed without issue. So far, so good.

:)

P.S. Have MS stopped offering updates through Windows Update? Did a couple of checks earlier, and after about 10 secs, I get the all clear - "Windows is up to date / There are no updates available for your computer". :dubbio:

19 hours ago, Ruan said:

P.S. Have MS stopped offering updates through Windows Update? Did a couple of checks earlier, and after about 10 secs, I get the all clear - "Windows is up to date / There are no updates available for your computer". :dubbio:

Do you have Windows Defender turned on, or do you have MS Office 2010? I'm not sure what other Windows updates one might reasonably expect.

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Do you have Windows Defender turned on, or do you have MS Office 2010? I'm not sure what other Windows updates one might reasonably expect.

Was just curious, really. In the past WU would always display a few unwanted plus hidden updates when checked...now zilch. If the update servers have ceased, then it will no doubt make updating any future clean install that more cumbersome.

Well, it seems Vista's Automatic Update servers are alive & well.

Had a bit of time today, and installed Vista HP SP1 in a VM.

First check for updates took only a few minutes, and returned ~100 updates. This was with no pre-installed SHA-2 or Speedup updates installed.
Second check returned ~15 non-security updates, and the third check, even less.

Let the system sit idle for about an hour, and checked again. This time i was offered SP2. And after that, Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256.
This is when AU decided to start with the old endless search. I finally gave up after 70 mins, and rebooted.

Went ahead and manually installed the updates recommended by Dalai at http://wu.krelay.de/en/Vista.htm to speedup the AU process. Next check only took about 5-7 mins and returned ~160 updates.

Installing those now as I'm posting this.

:)

Edited by Ruan
Wording

• 2 weeks later...

Got some time to update the repository and also organize it:

• Replaced Monthly Rollup with the new KB4512476 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Added Security Only Update, KB4517301 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • Replaced Internet Explorer Cumulative Update with KB4511872 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • NEW Added instructions on how to install .NET Framework 4.7.2 on the "/Extras" folder
  • NEW Added a Reg file to enable TLS 1.1 and 1.2 after installing KB4019276 located on the "/Extras" folder
  • NEW Reorganized the old 2017-2018 individual security updates so they're easier to manage, removing every superseded update and putting them all in one folder. Check them out for yourself!

https://mega.nz/#F!txxRyLzC!1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w

This was a slow month for updates (makes my job a lot easier). Hope the repository has been helping everyone :)

On 9/1/2019 at 9:12 PM, greenhillmaniac said:

Got some time to update the repository and also organize it:

• Replaced Monthly Rollup with the new KB4512476 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Added Security Only Update, KB4517301 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • Replaced Internet Explorer Cumulative Update with KB4511872 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • NEW Added instructions on how to install .NET Framework 4.7.2 on the "/Extras" folder
  • NEW Added a Reg file to enable TLS 1.1 and 1.2 after installing KB4019276 located on the "/Extras" folder
  • NEW Reorganized the old 2017-2018 individual security updates so they're easier to manage, removing every superseded update and putting them all in one folder. Check them out for yourself!

https://mega.nz/#F!txxRyLzC!1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w

This was a slow month for updates (makes my job a lot easier). Hope the repository has been helping everyone :)

"The .NET Framework 4.7.2 is not supported on this operating system". I have 4.6.1 installed on my PC. 

The KB4019276-TLS-x64 also says: "This update does not apply to this system." But KB4019276 is not on my machine.

Edited by Lambo

59 minutes ago, Lambo said:

"The .NET Framework 4.7.2 is not supported on this operating system".

That is officially correct. IMO average users should not be encouraged to install .NET 4.7.2 on Vista just because a way has been found. The number of Windows 7 programs that have thereby been proven to work on Vista is not great, Personally, I'm only using one program on Vista that even requires .NET 4.6.0.

1 hour ago, Lambo said:

The KB4019276-TLS-x64 also says: "This update does not apply to this system." But KB4019276 is not on my machine.

KB4019276 was superseded by KB4056564. I wonder if greenhillmaniac is aware that x64 requires twice as many registry changes as x86? My IE9 on Vista x86 does have TLS 1.2 support thanks to @VistaLover's instructions; but considering IE9's other limitations, this is another thing that average users could easily do without.

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

My IE9 on Vista x86 does have TLS 1.2 support thanks to @VistaLover's instructions; but considering IE9's other limitations, this is another thing that average users could easily do without.

... My e-mail client on my 12-year-old Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit laptop is, to this day, the default one provided by the OS, i.e. Windows Mail; while I rarely use today IE9 itself to browse the web, Windows Mail does use the IE9 engine to preview and display e-mails; without TLS 1.2 support present (in IE9), you risk having e-mails, certainly the ones in Rich Text (HTML) format, render broken, e.g. if in-line images are served exclusively over TLS 1.2!

Using Windows Mail in 2019 might not be the smartest choice security-wise; but AFAIAA, very few current e-mail clients are being actively developed with Vista in mind; the one several of our XP friends have migrated to is the Interlink (a Win7+ client developed by notorious Matt A. Tobin) fork called MailNews, maintained by roytam1, the same dev who gives us New Moon 28 and Serpent 52.9.0/55.0.0!

I do not know what e-mail client @Lambo is using: Only that Lambo is running Vista Ultimate x64 and may be interested in a Reg file that @greenhillmaniac has recently added to his repository (see above). At the moment I'm noticing that the Reg files in the x64 and x86 folders appear to be identical, which concerns me because I believe x64 would require a somewhat more complex Reg file due to the presence of OSVersion values in Wow6432Node (see @WinClient5270's post here). Unfortunately I am no expert on Vista x64 or Reg files.

16 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I'm noticing that the Reg files in the x64 and x86 folders appear to be identical, which concerns me because I believe x64 would require a somewhat more complex Reg file due to the presence of OSVersion values in Wow6432Node (see @WinClient5270's post here).

I'll need to take a look at it, because I created that reg file on a XP installation I did recently.

21 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Are you sure? When it throws that error it's usually already on the system.

Vistapocalypse said: "KB4019276 was superseded by KB4056564" --> I dont have KB4019276 installed but actually I have KB4056564. So all I have to do now is that I have to run the reg file? But the reg file name is: "Windows6.0-KB4019276-TLS-x64"