Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Jody Thornton

5 hours ago, erpdude8 said:

Edit 6/22: maybe on Vista/Server 2008.  not on XP/POSReady 2009 (as in unaffected).  new updates from mid-2018 to April 2019 for XP/POSReady are safe to install, even for non-SSE2 systems as the Meltdown/Spectre security fixes were never backported to XP/POSReady.  the non-SSE2 problem with newer updates past mid-2018 seems to be limited to 32bit Win7 only

There are many incompatible updates on POSReady for non-sse2 machines, actually, Including very recent ones.
I am personally testing all the server 08 updates on my PIII machine, I'm at august 2017 right now with no issues (but this is expected because MS didn't mess up yet :) )

Well, I'm not sure if this is related or not, but after may 2018 updates, the system is totally unbootable. it just goes to a black screen after choosing the vista option in the bootloader. I've tried repairing the bootloader, running chkdsk, the whole nine yards.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to preface my comments, I have not installed any of the Win Server 2008 patches discussed in this thread on my Vista SP2 machine, and Vista SP2/IE9 is patched to the end of extended support on 11 -Apr-2017.

I have a question about the April / June 2019 SHA-2 code signing updates KB4493730 and KB4474419 mentioned in the MS support article 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support Requirement for Windows and WSUS (see the target date July 9, 2019 in the table).

Does that mean that going forward, Vista SP2 users will not be able to download updates for Microsoft products released on or after 09-Jul-2019 via Windows Update (e.g., Windows Defender virus definitions, MS Office 2010 security updates, etc.) unless they apply these two KB4493730 and KB4474419 Win Server 2008 patches?  Or does it mean that no updates whatsoever will be delivered via Windows Updates unless they apply these two Server 2008 patches (e.g., if they perform a factory reset or clean reinstall of their OS and need to re-install older Vista SP2 security updates released up to 11-Apr-2017)?

As a test I started Windows Defender and ran a Windows Update after yesterday's Patch Tuesday updates were posted.  It reported that no updates were available, but until this month my manual Windows Updates were always able to find and install the latest available Windows Defender virus definitions as long as my Windows Defender services were started.  I was able to manually download and install the latest virus definitions set v1.297.795.0 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions (mpas-fe.exe for 32-bit Win 7 and Vista, rel. 10-Jul-2019) so I don't know if the problem is that new Windows Defender virus definitions sets will now be exclusively signed with SHA-2 (not SHA-1/SHA-2) going forward, or if my Windows Update can no longer detect any available updates, including Vista SP2/IE9 updates released prior to end of extended support on 11-Apr-2017.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22 * Malwarebytes Free v3.5.1-1.0.365
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

11 hours ago, lmacri said:

but until this month my manual Windows Updates were always able to find and install the latest available Windows Defender virus definitions as long as my Windows Defender services were started.

Welcome to MSFN forums :)

The most recent WD defs file update that came through WU here was on July 6th:

rS0zlWY.jpg

As you can see, the update frequency interval is between 2 to 3 days; I also haven't installed any of the SHA-2 updates yet; I usually tend to update WD manually, though, due to more frequent updates delivered that way (3 to 4 during a day...).

I guess you could test yourself by leaving WD not (manually) updated for more than 3 days, while keeping WU itself enabled (e.g. notify but not auto-install updates); if nothing turns up after, say, 4-5 days, then you'll get confirmation WU it's broken...

As for previous Vista updates, a more ominous rumour is flying around, that dedicated XP and Vista MS Update servers will be permanently shut down; see the relevant XP thread: 

https://msfn.org/board/topic/178377-on-decommissioning-of-update-servers-for-2000-xp-and-vista-as-of-july-2019/

XP die-hards have already started archiving XP updates from the Catalog, Web Archive and elsewhere, for future usage; haven't seen a similar effort undertaken from Vista communities; but I personally think we should be OK until Jan 2020, when both Server 2008 SP2 and Win7 SP1 reach Extended Support EOL; but I might be wrong... ;)

Edited by VistaLover

Thinking about updating an important Vista Machine.  For a Vista machine from scratch until the latest 2008 updates, what's everyone's experience when running all these patches?  Besides Windows Defender, have there been any stability issues or even small  problems when running these?

On 7/10/2019 at 11:43 AM, VistaLover said:

As for previous Vista updates, a more ominous rumour is flying around, that dedicated XP and Vista MS Update servers will be permanently shut down; see the relevant XP thread: 

https://msfn.org/board/topic/178377-on-decommissioning-of-update-servers-for-2000-xp-and-vista-as-of-july-2019/

XP die-hards have already started archiving XP updates from the Catalog, Web Archive and elsewhere, for future usage; haven't seen a similar effort undertaken from Vista communities; but I personally think we should be OK until Jan 2020, when both Server 2008 SP2 and Win7 SP1 reach Extended Support EOL; but I might be wrong... ;)

If any one of you Vista diehards has anything resembling a complete list of Post-SP2 updates (and hopefully their links!) I'd like to see it. I've been trying to collect everything for XP, but I'd like to see the same done for Vista and Server 2003 before this potential deadline falls, and I don't think I'm going to get there in time doing it manually. :no:

2 hours ago, Ocram said:

Since no one else posted it, here's a list of July updates:

Funny, I was about to post an update to the update repository ;)

• Replaced Monthly Rollup with the new KB4507452 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Added Security Only Update, KB4507461 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • Replaced Internet Explorer Cumulative Update with KB4507434 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • Replaced .NET Framework Security and Quality with:
    -KB4507003 for .NET 2.0 SP2 (located in "/NET 2.0 SP2/Security and Quality Rollup")
    -KB4507001 for .NET 4.5.2 (located in "/NET 4.5.2/Security and Quality Rollup")
    -KB4506997 for .NET 4.6-4.6.1 (located in "/NET 4.6-4.6.1/Security and Quality Rollup")
  • Added .NET Security Only Updates with:
    -KB4506975 for .NET 2.0 SP2 (located in "/NET 2.0 SP2/Security Only")
    -KB4506966 for .NET 4.5.2 (located in "/NET 4.5.2/Security Only")
    -KB4506963 for .NET 4.6-4.6.1 (located in "/NET 4.6-4.6.1/Security Only")
  • Added Extra update KB4508774 (located in "/Extras") with an updated readme.

https://mega.nz/#F!txxRyLzC!1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w

BTW, I've seen demand for it, so I'm thinking of posting my Vista update repository that holds all of Vista's x86 and x64 updates from the beginning until its EOL (April 2017). Useful if you want to update your system offline without using WU. It's completely separate from this repository I'm updating every other month. Is there any interest?

1 hour ago, Ocram said:

Sure, it'd be nice if you uploaded them. And by all you also mean all pre SP1 and pre SP2 updates?

Only post SP2, but I do include the installers for SP1 and SP2. What I meant by "all" was also the hotfixes that Microsoft released that were not available in WU (more for x64 than x86, since I only managed to collect from MS's hotfix service before it closed for the former).

http://files.56k.party/vista64/sp2/

I have the installer (all language) for SP2 plus the platform update, I'm also looking to add a few others specifically for x64 on this server before moving it to a OneDrive or MediaFire folder eventually :D 

Feel free to tell me specifically what KB's to archive, I also included those in /fixwu needed for SHA2 code signing support for the next waves of 2008 SP2 updates

Edited by hydro2duo

On 7/10/2019 at 10:43 AM, VistaLover said:

The most recent WD defs file update that came through WU here was on July 6th...I also haven't installed any of the SHA-2 updates yet...

I just installed Security Essentials 4.4 (sans SHA-2 support) and thus far it appears to be the same story:  No updates except by downloading manually.

However I am still able to receive electronic program guide data for my Windows Media Center with TV Pack 2008 at this time. (There has been no "legacy" EPG data for XP Media Center or Vista sans TV Pack in North America since July 2015, although AFAIK legacy data is still available in the UK. TV Pack utilizes the same data format as Windows 7.)

Edited by Vistapocalypse
2nd quoted post no longer exists

On 7/15/2019 at 6:09 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

BTW, I've seen demand for it, so I'm thinking of posting my Vista update repository that holds all of Vista's x86 and x64 updates from the beginning until its EOL (April 2017). Useful if you want to update your system offline without using WU. It's completely separate from this repository I'm updating every other month. Is there any interest?

I've just spent the better part of two days fooling with getting fresh installs of Vista x86/x64 SP2 installed, connected to WU, checking for updates, then manually downloading all the listed fixes from the Update Catalog, and I still have to install them and recheck for anything new afterward. What a nightmare, :wacko: lol. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if the service weren't (possibly) about to disappear, and if I didn't have other OS'es that need the same treatment before time runs out. Such a repository would be a great benefit, and it's good IMO to have a separate repository with official pre-EoL Vista updates along with the repository of post-EoL fixes.

On 7/15/2019 at 2:22 PM, hydro2duo said:

http://files.56k.party/vista64/sp2/

I have the installer (all language) for SP2 plus the platform update, I'm also looking to add a few others specifically for x64 on this server before moving it to a OneDrive or MediaFire folder eventually :D 

Feel free to tell me specifically what KB's to archive, I also included those in /fixwu needed for SHA2 code signing support for the next waves of 2008 SP2 updates

I think the Platform Update file you have is considered a "Supplement" to the Platform Update. I've not been able to figure out if the Platform Update was ever issued as a single package, because its KB number (971644) does not exist on WU, or whether it's just four component packages counted together (971512, 971513, 971514, 960362). Anyone with knowledge of this please chime in.

On 7/10/2019 at 10:01 AM, lmacri said:

I have not installed any of the Win Server 2008 patches discussed in this thread...I have a question about the April / June 2019 SHA-2 code signing updates KB4493730 and KB4474419 mentioned in the MS support article 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support Requirement for Windows and WSUS...does it mean that no updates whatsoever will be delivered via Windows Updates unless they apply these two Server 2008 patches (e.g., if they perform a factory reset or clean reinstall of their OS and need to re-install older Vista SP2 security updates released up to 11-Apr-2017)?....I don't know if the problem is that...my Windows Update can no longer detect any available updates...

Imacri, since few if any of your Windows updates have been replaced in the last 27 months, why don't you uninstall one April 2017 patch (other than a speed-up patch) from Installed Updates, then test to see if Windows Update can fetch it back for you? Of course it might be wise to first download the installer from the catalog in case the test fails! My comprehension of the MS article is no better than yours.

IMO this forum now needs another thread for those who wish to establish their own archives of Vista updates from 2009-2017. (There is no need for even earlier patches because the only prerequisite for the SP2 standalone installer is SP1, and the SP1 standalone installer has no prerequisites.) A question was posted on June 19, Windows Vista - post SP2 updates, but no one replied.

13 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

...Platform Update was...four component packages counted together...

See Description of the Platform Update for Windows Server 2008 and the Platform Update for Windows Vista.

On 7/10/2019 at 1:15 PM, Ocram said:

guacamole

Prior to editing, your post stated:

I'm updated till June 2019 with Server '08 updates, but in my case WD is unable to find new definitions as well.

Are you now saying that Windows Defender is in fact receiving definition updates on Windows 6.0.6003 with SHA-2 support? (Obviously WD would have to be turned on to do so.)

Through AU, it doesn't list any specific number. It is known IE9 depends on it, however - best bet would be to fire up a clean SP2, and check what's installed after IE9.

Also AU on a clean Vista SP2 still works and everything's there as of 8am GMT+1 today when the "speedup" patches are applied, so that at least gives us time.

Edited by hydro2duo