Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Jody Thornton

On 4/20/2019 at 3:47 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

well, basically if i try to start virtual machine, my os throw bluescreen. Sometimes when i start my laptop explorer.exe crashes or it just random throws bluscreen with error like win32k something..

11 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

If the April updates per se caused instability, I think Ruan, WinClient5270 or greenhillmaniac would have noticed it. What antivirus are you using?

I bet you do banking using your Win Vista, and your bank(s) have installed safety software by Diebold/Warsaw/GAS Technology on it. If so, such safety software is known to cause instabilities (usually related to win32k) and slow the system. But since they update it constantly, the BSoDs usually go away by themselves after some time. The system slowdown, however, only gets worse on time passing. The best overall solution is to have duplicate Windows in the same machine, let one as is for banking and clean the other from such security software and use it for everything but banking. Yes, it requires a double-boot setup, but nothing is perfect & there's no such thing as a free lunch, of course! :} 

On 4/25/2019 at 12:41 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

In my case it was strangely due to vmware services. i disabled them and vista was stable again. very strange..

Thanks for letting us know. I'm not familiar with vmware, but the workarounds for "services that require unconstrained delegation" in the KB article under Known issues in this update might be applicable.

I posted this in the Windows XP section as well - Is it true that update servers are being decommissioned for 2000, XP, and Vista as of July 2019?  This might warrant a dedicated topic, no?

Edited by Jody Thornton

On 4/27/2019 at 11:19 PM, Jody Thornton said:

I posted this in the Windows XP section as well - Is it true that update servers are being decommissioned for 2000, XP, and Vista as of July 2019?  This might warrant a dedicated topic, no?

Perhaps a link to your other thread will suffice for now. If true, @greenhillmaniac could always expand his repository. Imaging software is of course one way to make Vista last as long as the hardware it can run on.

On 4/28/2019 at 5:19 AM, Jody Thornton said:

2 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Perhaps a link to your other thread will suffice for now. If true, @greenhillmaniac could always expand his repository. Imaging software is of course one way to make Vista last as long as the hardware it can run on.

Actually, I've already created an ISO file containing updates for 2000, XP, Server 2K3 and Vista. The ISO also includes Windows Live Essentials 2009 (XP compatible) and 2010 (Vista compatible). The problem is that updates for NT 5.x are language specific, so I only accumulated PT-PT updates. If there's any interest in releasing that to the public do let me know.

(I also managed to salvage some PT-PT updates and hotfixes for Windows ME and 98 before they closed down the hotfix service.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 12:41 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

In my case it was strangely due to vmware services. i disabled them and vista was stable again. very strange..

The updates for May reportedly address the "unconstrained delegation" issue, which may have been the dog that bit you (see KB4499149 and KB4499180).

There is also KB4474419 for SHA-2 code signing support. It is unclear to me whether this could benefit Vista at all, but those who are actually running Server 2008 will need it to continue receiving Windows updates until January (see 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support requirement for Windows and WSUS).

And of course there is a cumulative security update for IE9 (KB4498206).

5 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

There is also KB4474419 for SHA-2 code signing support. It is unclear to me whether this could benefit Vista at all,

I am still running Vista's native Windows Defender as an anti-malware solution (currently at version 1.1.1600.0, engine version 1.1.15900.4 [that number is no more XP compatible but it's OK on Vista SP2], Definition version 1.293.1593.0) and it routinely still checks on WU/MU for updated definitions (from experience, once every two days); so I might be needing the mentioned update after all...

However, I am mostly updating WD manually, either via initiating an update (when available) from its GUI ("Check for updates") or directly fetching updated def files (mpas-fe.exe) from MS's security portal:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions

=> Windows Defender in Windows 7 and Windows Vista  32-bit | 64-bit

On 5/14/2019 at 8:03 PM, VistaLover said:

I am still running Vista's native Windows Defender as an anti-malware solution...and it routinely still checks on WU/MU for updated definitions...so I might be needing the mentioned update after all...

An experiment at another forum suggests that you would still be able to get definition updates for Windows Defender. Edit: The tester did not install Servicing stack update for Windows Server 2008 SP2.

None of the updates posted May 11 have yet been replaced by newer file versions.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

On 4/20/2019 at 10:19 AM, Jaguarek62 said:

im sorry, i was just little upset cause i can´t use my vista laptop properly now. I hope next update will fix it.

Well has the May update fixed it?

Did anyone else using VMware (or perhaps Avast) encounter problems after installing the April updates, and have your problems been resolved now?

Hi,

First time poster here. I have the same problem that Jaguarek62 reported but do not use VMware. Vista Home premium with Avast Free 18.8.2356 Build 18.8.4084.0 Def. ver.190521-4. All been running Ok with monthly Server 2008 updates up till April 2019 update Kb4493471(also tried Kb4493458) now get BSOD stop error 0x0000008E WIN32K.sys (Kernelmode exception not handled) Tried disabling Avast in MSconfig and services.MSC but still same. Eventually managed to boot into safemode and uninstalled update and all working OK again. Decided to leave this update out and wait till May Kb4499149 but sadly still the same BSOD stop error. Next, removed Avast with Avastclear and installed Kb4499149 successfully. IE9 updates have not been a problem. Tried a fresh install of Avast and back to same problem. Seems I will not get anywhere with Avast solving problem as they want you to update to W7 B4 they will entertain a support request. I will just have to use Windows Defender instead for a while and maybe fingers crossed an emergency fix might come out from Avast? Just sent them a quick note about problem as a bug/report a problem as well. What other free AV products are out there for Vista/Server 2008 that won't suffer this problem?

On 5/21/2019 at 3:34 PM, Stevo said:

Hi,

First time poster here. I have the same problem that Jaguarek62 reported but do not use VMware. Vista Home premium with Avast Free 18.8.2356 Build 18.8.4084.0 Def. ver.190521-4. All been running Ok with monthly Server 2008 updates up till April 2019 update Kb4493471(also tried Kb4493458) now get BSOD stop error 0x0000008E WIN32K.sys (Kernelmode exception not handled) Tried disabling Avast in MSconfig and services.MSC but still same. Eventually managed to boot into safemode and uninstalled update and all working OK again. Decided to leave this update out and wait till May Kb4499149 but sadly still the same BSOD stop error. Next, removed Avast with Avastclear and installed Kb4499149 successfully. IE9 updates have not been a problem. Tried a fresh install of Avast and back to same problem. Seems I will not get anywhere with Avast solving problem as they want you to update to W7 B4 they will entertain a support request. I will just have to use Windows Defender instead for a while and maybe fingers crossed an emergency fix might come out from Avast? Just sent them a quick note about problem as a bug/report a problem as well. What other free AV products are out there for Vista/Server 2008 that won't suffer this problem?

Welcome to MSFN Stevo. I certainly appreciate your post, but I'm not really surprised. Avast seems to think their issues with Windows updates in April were limited to business solutions, and that the issues have now been resolved by "micro-updates." You might want to post about this problem in their End of support for Windows XP/Vista thread, but in all likelihood you will have to choose between continuing to use the legacy version of Avast or installing the last 10 months of Windows 6.0 updates. As for "other free AV products...that won't suffer this problem": If WinClient5270 is still using Security Essentials 4.4.304.0, then I would presume that it is unaffected. We have a thread about using that MSE version on Vista here. Sandboxie is not a traditional AV product, but Ruan has reported version 5.28 as working with April 2019 updates (see my May 8 post). If you intend to continue running Vista beyond Server 2008's EoL in January, then definition updates for Avast might be available much longer than definition updates for Security Essentials. New Edit: That was a pretty good speech; but as Stevo already knows, he does not have to choose between using Avast and updating to build 6003 because Avast has fixed the issue with a micro-update! :D

It occurs to me that "Windows 6.0.6002 March 2019" is a very strategic point to create an image or clone using Macrium or Acronis. This method of backing up your system becomes all the more valuable in light of Jody Thornton's April 27 post above, i.e. updating Vista after reinstallation may go from "a major pain" to "virtually impossible" before long.

Edited by Vistapocalypse