Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Jody Thornton

On 9/12/2018 at 6:55 PM, greenhillmaniac said:

Uau, Server 2008 now recieves Monthly Rollups and Security Only updates just like the rest of the big boys? I'm actually surprised! Now only Windows POSReady 2009 (XP) recieves individual updates. This actually makes my job easier :yes:

Thanks @greenhillmaniac . I wish MS had stayed with individual updates, makes it a lot easier to avoid a single problematic update, if one comes up. From now on, it's either all or none :(

@All
Anyone else have a problem with kb4338380 (Aug 2018)?
I'm getting a "Doesn't apply to your system" when I try to install. I think @Chronius reported something similar earlier, but those posts have since been deleted.

I unpacked the update, and according to the text file inside, it seems to apply to Vista systems.

ApplicabilityInfo="Windows Vista SP2;Windows Server 2008 SP2;"
Applies to="Windows 6.0"
Build Date="2018/06/29"
Company="Microsoft Corporation"
File Version="1"
Installation Type="FULL"
Installer Engine="Component Based Servicing - WUSA.exe"
Installer Version="6.0.0.0"
KB Article Number="4338380"
Language="ALL"
Package Type="Security Update"
Processor Architecture="x86"
Product Name="Windows 6.0"
Support Link="http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=4338380"

Edited by Ruan
Corrected KB number

4 hours ago, Ruan said:

Thanks @greenhillmaniac . I wish MS had stayed with individual updates, makes it a lot easier to avoid a single problematic update, if one comes up. From now on, it's either all or none :(

@All
Anyone else have a problem with kb4338380 (Aug 2018)?
I'm getting a "Doesn't apply to your system" when I try to install. I think @Chronius reported something similar earlier, but those posts have since been deleted.

I unpacked the update, and according to the text file inside, it seems to apply to Vista systems.

I share your sentiments, particularly since I've seen a month or two where I got a problem-causing update and had to seperate it from the good ones.  Annoying to be sure, but at least I could get rid of the trouble-maker.

Getting back to KB4338380, I've made several comments over the past month which bear on it.  Briefly it solves a memory related problem which isn't likely to apply to most of us, unless we have really intrusive neighbors with lots of knowledge about MS operating systems.  My guess is whether it applies to your system is probably a function of how much RAM memory you're using -- I've got 16 GByte on an x64 system; you (and Chronius, also with an x86 system) probably have less on your system. 

@mike_shupp Thanks for your reply, and sorry for taking so long to get back to you. @Vistapocalypse gave me a good tip that maybe kb4338380 won't install due to earlier Meltdown and Spectre patches I'd skipped (they broke Sandboxie on my system). 

Gave them another try with an updated Sandboxie (v5.26), and here's where I'm at now:

March 2018
KB4089229, KB4090450
These were the original updates that broke Sandboxie (SB). Now installed and working with SB 5.26.

April 2018
KB4093478 This one also broke SB, but has since been superseded by updates in Jun,Aug 2018 - installed fine, SB working.

July 2018
KB4340583 Never tested this one against SB, but it was superseded by KB4341832 in Aug - installed, and SB working.

Aug 2018
KB4338380 Unfortunately, still getting - "This update does not apply to your system". I'm not overly worried atm though, it's currently marked by MS as "Exploitation Less Likely". I'll give it another look next month.

On the upside, I'm now fully patched up to Aug, minus KB4338380, which might very well be replaced down the road. Kinda more pleased right now with the Sandboxie fiasco fixed.

Thanks @mike_shupp , and @Vistapocalypse for your help.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, time rolls on, and we've hit October, a Tuesday has appeared, and now a second Tuesday ... So what does Microsoft have for us today?  Looking at the Windows Update Catalog, I find a few things:

KB4459925 Oct 2018 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework (with KB4457007 for .NET 2.0, KB4457019 for .NET 4.5, and KB4457016 for .NET 4.6)

KB4462949 Oct 2018 Cumulative Seciurity Upgrade for IE 9

KB4463097 Oct 2018 Security and Monthly Quality Rollup for WS2008

KB4463104 Oct 2018 Security Only Quality Upgrade for WS2008

And no, I haven't gotten around to installing any of these yet.  Maybe GreenHillManiac can shake a few more from the tree.  Maybe MS will add a few more in the next several days, maybe pull one or two, maybe update the odd update or two without warning ... It's been known to happen --happened in fact just this past week with their Win 20 version 1809 release -- so giving things a couple days to settle down makes some sense.  What's the worse that can happen?  My Vista installation becomes technically obsolescent?   Oh Golly.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thanks for all the efforts in this topic to take Vista updated with S2008.

But, if installed now Vista Sp2, what's the fastest way to get it updated?

EOL was April 2017, it's more than year and get it updated manually one-by-one it's very difficult.

WSUS seems to be the only single option now to get a one package full update, am i wrong?

Do you know what's the WSUS right version to use on Vista OS (i've seen some mentions for 9.2.2 or 10.9.2, but they get different list of update for Server2008) 

Another month, another batch of patches (try saying that three times in a row!)

• Added Monthly Rollup, KB4463097 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Added Security Only Update, KB4463104 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • Replaced Internet Explorer Cumulative Update KB4462949 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • Replaced .NET Framework Security and Quality with:
    -KB4457007 for .NET 2.0 SP2 (located in "/NET 2.0 SP2/Security and Quality Rollup")
    -KB4457019 for .NET 4.5.2 (located in "/NET 4.5.2/Security and Quality Rollup")
    -KB4457016 for .NET 4.6-4.6.1 (located in "/NET 4.6-4.6.1/Security and Quality Rollup")

I've decided to not include the Preview of Monthly Rollups MS releases in the middle of each month, mostly due to stability concerns (usually MS uses those releases to test the waters by releasing telemetry and/or new bugfixes).
That will be all :)

https://mega.nz/#F!txxRyLzC!1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w

On 10/23/2018 at 9:58 AM, Vistaboy said:

But, if installed now Vista Sp2, what's the fastest way to get it updated?

EOL was April 2017, it's more than year and get it updated manually one-by-one it's very difficult.

1. First install the updates from this topic, to make Windows Update search for all of the updates you need faster: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-update/why-has-vista-stopped-automatic-updates/42c98c78-157b-44b7-858a-3ba92933cb90
  2. Then run WU and install all it offers (no telemetry is contained in any update, so it's all good).
  3. Then download my repository and use the script I included at the root of it to install updates (if I recall correctly, you have to open it and change the directory it uses to install all of the updates in a folder).

After all that you should have an up to date Vista install with no vulnerabilities whatsoever :thumbup (in practice, anyway)

get it updated manually one-by-one it's very difficult. ...

Vistaboy:  After you've installed Vista SP2, the regular Vista  Windows Update (available on your Start Menu) will download a wad of updates, typically several hundred, that will bring your system up to April 2017.   Note that you should run the System Update Readiness Tool and the four or five "speed up" updates before trying to get Win Update to do its thing, otherwise you'll be twiddling your thumbs for a couple of days waiting for stuff to happen.  

AFTER THAT,  you can begin to look for Win Server 2008 updates -- maybe at the Microsoft Update Catalog, if that's to your taste or happen to be looking for some non-Vista files, or from GreenHillManiac's collection if you want to keep things simple.  Anotther word of advice:  Windows Vista does not like to run MSU update files while the the Windows Update window is open, so before you tackle the the WE2008 updates go to WU Settings and turn everything applicable to OFF.  Then dig in.  

More advice:  I'd suggest that after every three or four updates you reboot the system rather than try to get everything all at once,  Not a manditory requirement, but my experience is that the first patch installs quickly, and the next ones take a bit longer.  So my rule of thumb is to devote an hour or two to Vista patches and other installations, then reboot, and repeat the process.  

You should be all done in a day or so.  Then you can go back to the WU Settings and restore them to the original values.   If you're running Windows Defender or Microsoft Office, you'll get an occasional update through this channel afterwards-- maybe a couple every month, maybe less.  And you'll be even with the rest of us.

And we'll have to call you Vista Man!

Edited by mike_shupp

Hy everyone!

I installed the 4.5.2 updates from the Post-EOL repistory then istalled .NET 4.6.1 (which is Win7 variant but can be installed in Vista). This .NET 4.6.1 uninstalled the .NET 4.5.2 and all its updates. Will this be okay for Vista and all its programs?

Edited by Lambo

14 minutes ago, Lambo said:

Hy everyone!

I installed the 4.5.2 updates from the Post-EOL repistory then istalled .NET 4.6.1 (which is Win7 variant but can be installed in Vista). This .NET 4.6.1 uninstalled the .NET 4.5.2 and all its updates. Will this be okay for Vista and all its programs?

Yes, no problem. .NET 4.6.1 replaces .NET 4.5.2 so it's perfectly normal that all of the latter's updates are removed. You just need to install all of the .NET 4.6.x updates now.

Thanks, I like your install_updates.bat script, it was very easy to install updates with it, thanks a lot! Only the KB4019478 was unsuccesfully every other was successfull.

7 hours ago, Lambo said:

Thanks, I like your install_updates.bat script, it was very easy to install updates with it, thanks a lot! Only the KB4019478 was unsuccesfully every other was successfull. 

Thanks, made it myself with my (limited) knowledge of cmd scripting. :lol: