Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Jody Thornton

11 hours ago, Chronius said:

Sadly not in my case, I've checked 3 times and I'm more than 100% that I don't have it installed yet.

Hmmm.  I went off to Microsoft to see what the update was.  "Description of the security update for the Windows kernel information disclosure vulnerability in Windows Server 2008: August 14, 2018"   Isn't that useful?   Turns out the same sort of fix is being handed out to Server 2008 users and everyone else in sight, up to people with Win 10 version 1803.  It's got  general applicability, so it really ought to run for you.

I see three possibilities right now.  ONE is that you've got a mislabeled file.  kb4338380 ought to be about 580 KBytes for your x86 system.  Is it?   TWO is that thius is a memory-related problem, and it may be you don't have enough memory to be affected.  Maybe it only affects people with more than 8 GB of DRAM, for example.   THREE is that there might be some sort of dependency, that KB4338380 won't install  unless KB1234567 is installed first.  I looked but I didn't see evidence of such a thing.

Worst case, you never get that update to run.  What's going to happen?   Again, from MS:   "To exploit this vulnerability, an attacker would have to log on to an affected system and run a specially crafted application. The vulnerability would not allow an attacker to execute code or to elevate user rights directly, but it could be used to obtain information that could be used to try to further compromise the affected system. ..... The type of information that could be disclosed if an attacker successfully exploited this vulnerability is uninitialized memory."     Okay, if you're in charge of computer security at a Strategic Air Command base somewhere bordering on Eastern Europe  and we're at Defcon Two tightening up to Defcon One and the friendly natives are tossing Molotov cocktails over the fence .... this kind of vulnerability might concern you.   But in your shoes?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm switching out my PC this weekend, and moving to Windows 8 permanently, so I won't be taking part in Vista updates any further.  I want to also extend a thanks while I'm at it, the @roytam1who's x64 browser builds were a life saver.  I'll be also switching to Quantum v60 ESR next week.

It was fun!

:)

8 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

I'm switching out my PC this weekend, and moving to Windows 8 permanently, so I won't be taking part in Vista updates any further.  I want to also extend a thanks while I'm at it, the @roytam1who's x64 browser builds were a life saver.  I'll be also switching to Quantum v60 ESR next week.

It was fun!

:)

Well shucks, we're going to miss your smiling face and helpful comments.  Feel free to come back and visit -- update us!

Anticlimatically ... it's Second Tuesday and there are a few Server 2008 SP2 updates from Microsoft.  Here's what I've seen at the Microsoft Update Catalog:

KB4457917 Security Only Update for NET 2.0-54.6.    Contains KB4457054 (NET 2.0), KB5567030 (NET 4.5),  KB4457027 (NET 4..6) 

KB4457921  Security and Quality Rollup for  NET 2.0-4.6.    Contains KB4457043 (NET 2.0),  KB4457038 (NET 4.5),  KB4457035 (NET 4.6)

KB4457426 Cumulative Security Update for IE 9

KB4457984 Security Only Quality Update for Server 2008

KB4458010 Security and Monthly Quality Rollup for Server 2008

Have I installed any of these?  Not yet.  I'll probably wait for the weekend.  Microsoft occasionally pulls these things after a couple of days and then releases them again with different dates and KB numbers, or different dates but the same KB numbers with unspecified changes.   Also Microsoft has been known to slip in a few extra updates a day or so after Second Tuesday (not to mention things coming on Third Tuesday, Fourth Tuesday, Fifth Tuesday, Sixth -- you get the idea).   So ... there's no reason to rush yet.

Edited by mike_shupp

5 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

Well had I been staying with Vista, I would have only installed updates for .NET v2 and v3, and for IE9.  Even when I go to Windows 8, I'm only updating up to December 2017 for now.  The updates have not been all that stable. 

:(

I'm willing to live a LITTLE dangerously.  I back up every month more or less and my data is mostly on another disk than the OS.   Granted, I don't keep all those updates indefinitely,  but the worst that might happen is having to go back three or four months and redo things -- not that great a task.

Question for you:  Why update Win 8?  I had the impression Win 8.1 was much the same for the user but with fewer bugs.  Am I missing something?  Is the user experience so different that people might actually prefer one OS to the other?   (I remember looking at Win 8, installing it, playing around with it some.  I thought it nice looking, but I don't have a touch screen so I wasn't really going to use that interface, and also I had some programs I'd used with Vista and Win 7 that didn't work with 8.  So I was easily persuaded to leave 8 behind and "upgrade" to Win 10.  Which has also been a mixed bag, but ... I guess Win 10 is adequately discussed elsewhere at MSFN.)

Well on the PC I'm running now (my HP xw8200), I was going to install Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (this was back three years ago), but there was a CPU incompatibility with my Netburst Xeons.  It's discussed in another thread.  So I sourced Windows 8 x64 Pro, and it worked.

So I stayed with it, and then I found out about all of the GWX stunts, added telemetry and CPU blocking that Microsoft started pulling with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, and said to myself, "Hmmmmmm, now that I have 2012 updates working on it, I'll stay with Windows 8, since the OS isn't affected by all of that nonesense"

Besides, other than the improvement in metro apps or booting to the desktop (which Classic Shell does anyway), there was very little that changed in the "Explorer" (desktop) portion of the OS.  So I decided to stick with it, and vowed that my next machine would use it too.

Until I changed machines, I decided to go back to Vista back in March just to try out the updates from 2008.  I just wanted to briefly flirt with it, but I'm ready to set up a machine that I can now use happily for the next five years.

25 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

use happily for the next five years.

Good answer and I'll bear it in mind.  Vista's not going to be with us forever -- or at least the Server 2008 updates won't be, and there'll be a time where the OS is best appreciated in a virtual machine.  Windows 7 is headed for the same Old CPU's Home clearly enough, and there won't be a prospect of updates from Server 2008 R2.   And I've got mixed feelings about Win 10 -- it's clearly aimed at 20-something folks with cellphones and selfies and twitter rather than old farts like me who are content with desktop machines and who secretly thing "Computers are meant for SERIOUS BUSINESS!"     So I can imagine switching some day, or adding Win 8 as a place to take refuge from 10.

Edited by mike_shupp

40 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

So I stayed with it, and then I found out about all of the GWX stunts, added telemetry and CPU blocking that Microsoft started pulling with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, and said to myself, "Hmmmmmm, now that I have 2012 updates working on it, I'll stay with Windows 8, since the OS isn't affected by all of that nonesense"

make sure you block/hide the KB3163589 update on your Win8.0 computer, Jody!  also don't forget to block/hide the KB2976978 update as well (oh yes there is also a version of KB2976978 for Win8.0 and not just for Win8.1)

on a spare hard drive on my old HP m8417c computer running Win8.0 x64 Pro WMC edition, I got that annoying notice mentioned in MS support KB article 3163589, all because I may have accidentally installed that update thru Windows Update.  I have uninstalled the KB3163589 update and have blocked it from being offered again from WU.

I actually did run that GWX control panel app on that Win8.0 machine to change some reg entries so that I won't be upgraded to Win10 :)

Edited by erpdude8

1 hour ago, erpdude8 said:

make sure you block/hide the KB3163589 update on your Win8.0 computer, Jody!  also don't forget to block/hide the KB2976978 update as well (oh yes there is also a version of KB2976978 for Win8.0 and not just for Win8.1)

on a spare hard drive on my old HP m8417c computer running Win8.0 x64 Pro WMC edition, I got that annoying notice mentioned in MS support KB article 3163589, all because I may have accidentally installed that update thru Windows Update.  I have uninstalled the KB3163589 update and have blocked it from being offered again from WU.

I actually did run that GWX control panel app on that Win8.0 machine to change some reg entries so that I won't be upgraded to Win10 :)

This is a text file I saved back in February 2016 called "Updates I Skipped on Windows 8.txt"

KB3163589    Out of Date Notification
KB2976978    Compatibility Update for Windows 8.0 and 8.1 Update
KB2975331    August 2014 Update Rollup - Microsoft recommended uninstalling because of boot issues - no benefits to desktop use anyway

KB3058168    May need to be removed - allows upgrade to Windows 10
KB3008273    Allows automatic upgrade to Windows 8.1

KB2822241    Forces automatic restarts after performing Windows Update
KB3105216    Older build of Adobe Flash Player

KB2901982    .NET Framework v4.5.2

But I appreciate your looking out for me :)

1 hour ago, mike_shupp said:

Good answer and I'll bear it in mind.  Vista's not going to be with us forever -- or at least the Server 2008 updates won't be, and there'll be a time where the OS is best appreciated in a virtual machine.  Windows 7 is headed for the same Old CPU's Home clearly enough, and there won't be a prospect of updates from Server 2008 R2.   And I've got mixed feelings about Win 10 -- it's clearly aimed at 20-something folks with cellphones and selfies and twitter rather than old farts like me who are content with desktop machines and who secretly thing "Computers are meant for SERIOUS BUSINESS!"     So I can imagine switching some day, or adding Win 8 as a place to take refuge from 10.

Except there will now be paid support offered for Windows 7 Enterprise customers until January 2023.  So I wonder if you could use those updates on Windows 7 Professional?

2 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

Except there will now be paid support offered for Windows 7 Enterprise customers until January 2023.  So I wonder if you could use those updates on Windows 7 Professional?

Hmmm.  Possibly, but I wonder  if it be worth the effort.  I mean, the selling point for Win 7 anymore is that people are used to it.  It's the thing they've used at work or maybe at home till responding to it is practically built into their nervous system.   There aren't new features for it coming along,  just bug fixes.   IE 11 is becoming increasingly crappy with time.  So you use Win 7 much longer, you really ought to find a new browser.  And a new antivirus.  And a new anti-malware tool.  And something other than Media Player to watch movies.  And so on and so on.  Yeah, it's a "comfortable" operating system, but a lot of stuff is comfortable ... until it's one day away from trash removal.

So maybe sufficiently dedicated people could keep Win 7 alive, the way people here keep Vista going, but I don't think it'd be particularly rewarding.  

Uau, Server 2008 now recieves Monthly Rollups and Security Only updates just like the rest of the big boys? I'm actually surprised! Now only Windows POSReady 2009 (XP) recieves individual updates. This actually makes my job easier :yes:
Here's the page with the updates info:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4343218

More info on the subject: https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2018/06/12/windows-server-2008-sp2-servicing-changes/

My theory - they changed the updating scheme to be like the rest of the supported Windows versions because of the paid support they're providing for any company who sticks with Server 2008 (https://aka.ms/eos-offer-faq)

Anyway:

• Added Monthly Rollup, KB4458010 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Added Security Only Update, KB4457984 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • Replaced Internet Explorer Cumulative Update KB4457426 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • Replaced .NET Framework Security and Quality with:
          -KB4457043 for .NET 2.0 SP2 (located in "/NET 2.0 SP2/Security and Quality Rollup")
          -KB4457038 for .NET 4.5.2 (located in "/NET 4.5.2/Security and Quality Rollup")
          -KB4457035 for .NET 4.6-4.6.1 (located in "/NET 4.6-4.6.1/Security and Quality Rollup")
  • Added .NET Framework Security Only updates:
          -KB4457054 for .NET 2.0 SP2 (located in "/NET 2.0 SP2/Security Only")
          -KB4457030 for .NET 4.5.2 (located in "/NET 4.5.2/Security Only")
          -KB4457027 for .NET 4.6-4.6.1 (located in "/NET 4.6-4.6.1/Security Only")

I think that's everything... Let me know if I missed anything!

https://mega.nz/#F!txxRyLzC!1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w