Windows 10 S Announced Today

Jody Thornton

A new name for the "Windows Store Only" strategy (that already failed) :

“Everything that runs on Windows 10 S is downloaded from the Windows Store,” says Microsoft’s Windows chief Terry Myerson. That doesn't mean that desktop apps won't run on this version of Windows 10, but they'll need to be specially packaged and listed in the Windows Store.

and :w00t::ph34r::

Microsoft is also bringing full versions of Office to the Windows Store, but we'll need to see more desktop apps arrive to see whether Windows 10 S will be successful for its limited market. If it's too restrictive, Microsoft is offering an option to enable all desktop apps, for a fee. If you purchase a device running Windows 10 S then you'll be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro to enable all desktop apps to run like normal.

a pure marketing attempt, seemingly, I don't believe that there is anything particularly "lite" (unless you want to be forced to the limited amount of - BTW largely crappy - Apps in the Store).

jaclaz

Addition, seemingly the new Surface Laptop will run this abomination-of-the-abomination and you'll have to pay US$50 (besides the not-so-cheap US$999 for the laptop base configuration 4Gb Ram 128 Gb SSD) to "upgrade" to the "real" Windows 10 (unless you are quick and do the upgrade before end of the year, does it sound like someone needs to hit a quota of some kind?).

The good news is that most probably Store Apps won't have issues with its "queer" resolution of 2556x1504 (that will likely be lots of fun for a number of developers).

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/microsoft-makes-a-regular-old-laptop-the-surface-laptop/

http://techreport.com/news/31831/microsoft-surface-laptop-is-a-velvet-gloved-jab-at-macbooks

The 14.5 hours of battery life (even if probably valid only for light usage) sound VERY good though (at least until the I presume non-user-replaceable battery gets full charge).

jaclaz

in another words
they will control what you can use (apps), since it is limited to winblows store

and normal win32 apps will be ... emulated ? repacked ? - again controled

that is disgusting, no thanks ...

It is a strange thing, because the Windows store was created with the vision that filesystem access was not to be allowed at all... and now MS makes and OS where the only way to install "normal" desktop programs is through the store.

When I first here about this my thought was this might be useful for school/businesses that use remote applications ie. citrix remote desktop applications, but then I read the part about The Windows Store. All hope faded right then and their.