Inject intel USB3 (USB3 only board) drivers to existing imigated nstallation, from BootCD or from Other Windows 7 installation on same machine.

ruthan

Hello,
i migrated Windows 7 from other machine to new machine, problem is that new machine is USB3 only, no PS2 at all, so after boot i cant controller a machine.
I have on same machine other new fully working Windows 7 partition, when i injectem USB3 drivers during installation.

I need inject USB3 drivers from other Windows 7 install or from some bootCD. I have tried Paragon HDD Professional P2P adjust, but Intel drivers are in
format which Paragon cant inject. Is there any other P2P driver injection boot cd?

I cant control mahine, throught network (Remote desktop), because there is not user password for admin or network driver missing too.

Edit: Some silent installer of Intel USB3 or realtek NIC drivers inserted into Start up folder could be a solution, if something like this
exists..

Edited by ruthan

Machine might have 'Windows installation' mode in BIOS. Can't promise you much, but in my case I could use USB 3.0 on windows 7 before installing drivers with this setting on.

56 minutes ago, Mcinwwl said:

Machine might have 'Windows installation' mode in BIOS. Can't promise you much, but in my case I could use USB 3.0 on windows 7 before installing drivers with this setting on.

Not my case its ASUS Q170T board.

It may be possible to use DISM to add the driver, but I have not tried to do it with an offline HDD. It is designed to work with mount points. I think that you can do a test by getting the driver info. I suspect if that works, then you could add a driver. You need a WinPE3 or higher and the USB3 drivers in the PE image or on another USB device. And of course, your WinPE3 needs to have the USB3 support. It may be worthwhile to use a WinPE4-10 instead as they have better USB3 support built-in. If you do not have a WinPE to boot, you can use a Windows 8.1 or 10 Setup disk (no XML in it) and at the first screen use SHIFT+F10 to get the cmd.

First you need to find which volume has your OS on it. You can use diskpart or the guess and test. For the example, I will pretend your OS is on drive N:
Use this command to see if DISM will service this OS:

DISM /IMAGE:N:\ /GET-DRIVERS

If DISM gives the driver list, then the chances are better to add the drivers. But DISM may complain it is not an image. This is the command to add the driver (example)

DISM /IMAGE:N:\ /ADD-DRIVER /DRIVER:d:\folder\iusb3xhc.inf
DISM /IMAGE:N:\ /ADD-DRIVER /DRIVER:d:\folder\iusb3hub.inf

When you add the Intel USB3 driver, if the driver for your device has the two files (whatever and hub) then you need to add both. Some Intel USB3 does not have the two files in the download package, so then it is ok to just add the one.

On my nephew skylake platform integrated successfully USB3.0 on windows 7.

First create a Temp folder on C parition. Inside of Temp, copy boot.wim for you windows 7 kit, create a folder named MountedBoot for mounting boot.wim, and copy Drivers folder from you Intel_USB3_Win7_V40242_Win81_V10145.zip (see attaced image). So in the end Temp folder will have: 1 file (boot.wim) and 2 folders: MountedBoot and Drivers folder from you zip Motherboard driver

After that do this:

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:C:\Temp\boot.wim /index:2 /mountdir:C:\Temp\MountedBoot
dism /image:C:\Temp\MountedBoot /add-driver /driver:C:\Temp\Drivers /recurse
dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:C:\Temp\MountedBoot /commit

After boot.wim is repcked with USB3.0 drivers inside, copy and replace from you win7 iso/kit then make a bootable flash drive and reinstall.

Have fun :)

usb3_drivers.png

Edited by condor

On 1.5.2017 at 9:24 AM, ruthan said:

i migrated Windows 7 from other machine to new machine, problem is that new machine is USB3 only, no PS2 at all, so after boot i cant controller a machine.

Did you boot the Windows 7 from other hardware at the new hardware once?
The USB 3.0 controller is marked alerady, but no driver connected.

Do you have the a old Windows 7 image, not booted at the new hardware?
Can you restore this old image?
Then run dism.exe again and inlcude iusb3xhci and iusb3hub again. (include relating x86 or x64 drivers)
No need for the the switch driver, the given chipset connects the USB 3.0 ports to the xhci controller always.
Do you get USB mouse and keyboard now?

Or the other case: Windows 7 form other hardware once booted at new hardware:

Dism.exe did include the dricers correctly.
But the device manager waits for a user confirmation to install the new driver.
Delete certain USB 3.0 settings from previous boot.

Boot a WinPE (e.g. a installation DVD and press shift F10)

Run regedit, import the Windows 7 from other hardware system hive to Win7_harddisk:
HKLM\Win7_harddisk

Read
HKLM\Win7_harddisk\Select\Current
HKLM\Win7_harddisk\Select\Default
Are both values 0x1?

Then goto HKLM\Win7_harddisk\ControlSet001\Enum\PCI
Search CC_0C0330
Delete the parent HKLM\Win7_harddisk\ControlSet001\Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_* entry

Unlod the hive HKLM\Win7_harddisk. Boot to Windows 7.

cdob: Sorry im not in location were now computer is, but yes im doing this types of cloning for years, problem is that this ITX board, were only USB ports avalaible are intel USB3 and whole computer is in case passively cooled - Akasa Euler S, it would be quite hard to access USB2 ports headers and have possibility to run a machine (cooling), i have  tried some USB2 port to USB3 header cable, but it doesnt helped with my problem - keyboard and mouse are not working, OS is booting at least into safe mode and here cursor blinking..

I have tried connect mouse and keyboard directly or through USB hub no success. I have on same machine second Windows 7 partition, installed with USB3 drivers include and its running well. Its Skylake system, board is ASUS Q170T. 

There are even SW to adjust Hardware in machine to new machine - P2P (Physical to Physical) adjusment or Dissimilar HW recovery tools. Problem is that as far as i know, only tool, which could to it, without whole image recovery, only just adjust is Paragon HDD Professional and unfortunately - his taste of INF files is quite problematic - lots of valid INF files not working with this tool - its scanned as invalid or empty.

I can do same really nasty convert this partition in VirtualMachine add drivers (+ not only USB, also for Lan and add VNC client as backup), make image and recover image into physical machine, but it would take lots of time and there would be some virtual machines drivers leftovers.

4 hours ago, ruthan said:

There are even SW to adjust Hardware in machine to new machine

As for USB controller and USB hub:
Dism does a good job, the driver files are copied to driverstore and to system32\drivers.
In addition there are included to the registry CriticalDeviceDatabase. And to Services, marked to demand Start=3.
The drivers are working at next boot.

However a existing ENUM entry has a higher priority.
If a relating ENUM entry exist, but without a service entry, then the drivers are not connected to the hardware, they are not used.
Delete the half broken ENUM entry.
Or try to add iusb3xhci und iusb3hub to the ENUM entry.

Dism and regedit are sufficient to adjust Hardware in machine to new machine.

Another thing you can try is to use DISM to install the drivers into the online image, by copying the driver files onto the drive someplace, and setting it to run a .cmd on first boot. You could say, put it into Startup folder or another way. Then when the PC boots, DISM would install the drivers using /online option instead of /image. Or even you can trigger the silent install of the Intel USB3 setup.exe with the flag to reboot.

EDIT: I forgot. There is a situation where you won't be able to use the new drivers if the old drivers exist. This effects certain Intel USB2/3 drivers whereas the INF is written in such a way that it will trigger the HwID check in the Driver Model to apply to the incorrect device. This happens because there is one Intel USB2 and 1 Intel USB3 device that have the same HwID, have different drivers (not interchangeable) and the INFs do not use full HwID to the SUBSYS and CC. If this is the case for you, the old drivers need to be removed. Two situations I've seen with these controllers is either USB does not work or bugcheck on boot.

Thanks for info.

How to exactly to do this?
Delete the half broken ENUM entry.
Or try to add iusb3xhci und iusb3hub to the ENUM entry.

And how i open registry file from other partition? What is path and name of main registry file?

Edited by ruthan

You open Regedit. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and make sure it is selected on the left. Click File-> Load Hive. Browse to the other hard drive to a location \Windows\System32\Config. Select the file called SYSTEM (not system.log). It will ask for a name, call it "mount_system". Now everything in there from the left is the hive from the other hard drive. You make your changes.

When you are done, it is very important that you select the loaded hive on the left "mount_system" and then File->Unload Hive. You can then close regedit. Always make sure to do this or there can be problems.

Regarding the registry files, there is no main file. Loading the different hives under the different main groups (HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, etc) will load different things. If you do not know which to load, fine a relative key in your regular registry. If it is HKLM\Software, you load the SOFTWARE hive under HKLM. If it is HKLM\System, then you load the SYSTEM hive. And always make sure you give the loaded hive a name that indicates it what it is, and do not give it a name that matches an existing one.

If you are concerned about goofing up, make a backup of the hives on the other drive first.