XP drivers for HP DV2000

Racer63

Ok, so someone gave me a netbook HP DV2000 with a bad screen, but after connecting to an external monitor is a very decent system and it works well with 7. But I wanted to install dual boot XP/7, XP mainly for old games. The problem is that I can´t find any sound and wifi working drivers for XP. All drivers were downloaded from  here, as a good ftp source for legacy HP drivers, but not all worked for me.

Some drivers worked under XP, like those for minor functions like keypad and special keys. Got graphics from Intel drivers downloads, no problems on that side. But for the life of me was impossible to make work wifi and sound. Wifi only works with limited connection, even with manually assigned IP and DNS values, so I think problem is the driver. Upon startup is trying to install Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus, sure something to do with sound, but can´t find any driver like that.

According to HP official site, this netbook was shiped with Vista 32 and 64 bits so one of my questions is: should be better to install only Vista on this netbook, or keep trying to install XP?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Racer63

I am not sure to understand.

The page you provided a link to does list audio drivers, actually two of them, and Nvidia video drivers (while you just stated that you used for video the  Intel ones).

Did you install ALL the drivers listed on that page (or only a few, and which ones, and which ones gave you errors or *whatever* issues)?

Do you have any question marks or exclamation marks in device manager?

(if you attempted to installa and half-way installed some "not suitable" driver it is possible that installing the "right" one is prevented)

What are the EXACT version and manufacturer of each driver you installed (since you have already unpacked the HP Softpaq's you should have this info)?

Do a thorough check (inventory) of the devices on that laptop, using (say) SIV:

http://rh-software.com/

and post the relevant hardware data.

Maybe the same "DV 2000" comes (came) in different versions/submodels with different hardware?

The DV 2000 should have Broadcom Wi-Fi (and bluetooth) cards, the Wi-Fi should be a BCM94311MCG, maybe here:
http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/drivers/wireless_networks/companies/broadcom/models/bcm94311mcg/

(not necessarily a "generic" manufactuirer driver will work on a OEM board, but it is worth a try).

jaclaz 

Laptop already running Ok.

Just a note as reference for others with same problem: Broadcom WiFi driver on the site I submited were ok. Problem was WPA2. WIN XP SP2 must apply a patch for WPA encryption to work. Patch KB893357 can be downloaded here for english or spanish XP versions.

The other problematic was audio, divided in SM Bus, Microsoft UAA for High Definition Audio and Conexant High Definition. So, for audio to work you need to install three controllers that maybe is easier as an automatic process in other netbooks but not for this one, with no native support for XP.

So again for future reference, this is a driver package at least for DV2220la and DV2423la (mine) in case you want to downgrade to XP. This drivers worked like a charm one by one, no errors.

Thanks for all your help

Edited by Racer63

Well, I, for one, wasn't aware you're running XP SP2, till your latest post. I thought only @jaclaz still had an SP2 machine in day-to-day use.
Anyway, let me contribute with a source for the actual KB article which was recently pulled out by MS... here it is: KB893357

4 hours ago, dencorso said:

I thought only @jaclaz still had an SP2 machine in day-to-day use.

Are you implying that jaclaz is actually the last of the dinosaurs? :w00t:

To put it in context the machine running XP SP2 is a (pretty stationary) desktop and uses wired network, no fancy Wi-Fi for it, no Sir.

jaclaz

13 hours ago, dencorso said:

Well, I, for one, wasn't aware you're running XP SP2, till your latest post. I thought only @jaclaz still had an SP2 machine in day-to-day use.
Anyway, let me contribute with a source for the actual KB article which was recently pulled out by MS... here it is: KB893357

In fact I have two XP SP2 machines, an ancient desktop for once a week/beweekly one day use, the other is this ex-Vista netbook almost day-to-day. Both are connected to the net

Something that has always worked for me is, get the drivers from Windows Update:

Before formatting your machine, download the XP wireless driver specific to that model. Some come with Intel, others come with Atheros, depending on system configuration. If your machine wasn't built with XP in mind, you may have to go directly to the Intel or Atheros website to get the XP drivers. For example, even though my machine is a "HP 15", it is actually a X7T78UA (15-BA009DX). There are many models of "HP 15". Also, my machine came with Windows 10, but I installed an SSD and then installed Windows 7, by using other sources such as AMD to obtain the Windows 7 drivers..

Once you have installed XP, install the wireless driver. Then, install the Windows Update Agent 3.0, Internet Explorer 8, and a recent version of the Root Certificates. These files will allow you to access Windows Update. On the Windows Update homepage, choosing "Custom" will allow Windows Update to search for available device drivers. The Express option will only search for high-priority updates, not device drivers.

Thanks sdfox7 for the info, good to know that there`s a workaround to access these drivers and Windows Update. I went to Broadcom site and got no drivers for us common mortals, just Intel gave me graphic driver I needed, but no sound drivers or bus controllers or sata.... And HP only Vista drivers.

4 hours ago, Racer63 said:

Thanks sdfox7 for the info, good to know that there`s a workaround to access these drivers and Windows Update. I went to Broadcom site and got no drivers for us common mortals, just Intel gave me graphic driver I needed, but no sound drivers or bus controllers or sata.... And HP only Vista drivers.

Send me the exact model number, I bet I can find those drivers for you. I am very resourceful!

Usually there is a specific model identifier. As I said above, I own an generic "HP 15", but my model identifier is X7T78UA / 15-BA009DX: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/10862317/model/13386205/document/c05281438/. (Again, as I said above) I used a workaround to get the Windows 7 drivers since HP only provides Windows 10 drivers.

Thanks mate, but I`ve got netbook running ok. I posted above the link to the drivers I found. Looking here and there on some other sites found a nice package of drivers at Driver Guide and a MS patch for wifi`s WPA encryption.