Repacking Updates so I can have a turd free experience.

NsaFarm

I've cut up windows 10 with NTlite and cumulative updates fail unlike 7/8.1. I can see in CBSlog and DISM which parts fail. Is there a way to repack the updates like was done on win2k/etc on this board while removing the offending components?

I only need to remove 2:

Failed to pin deployment while resolving Update: Package_804_for_KB4016635~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.0.4016635-2293_neutral from file: (null) [HRESULT = 0x80073701 - ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING]

Failed to bulk stage deployment manifest and pin deployment for package:Package_6236_for_KB4015217~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.8 [HRESULT = 0x80073701 - ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING]

and of course in DISM

DISM Package Manager: PID=1632 TID=1600 Failed opening package Microsoft-Windows-DiagTrack-Internal-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.10240.16384. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_CreatePackageByName(hr:0x800f0805)

MS hates when you removed telemetry but I'm not sure if that was the main failure.

So I edited the update.mum to remove the 2 packages but it fails signature verification.

Failed to copy manifest: \\?\c:\users\defaultuser\desktop\cum\update.mum to private store and verify the content. [HRESULT = 0x800b0100 - TRUST_E_NOSIGNATURE]

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:56 AM, abbodi1406 said:

Chopping and updating Windows 10 is a lost cause

you can have one of them, not both

We may have a difference in what you mean by "chopping".

I have a trimmed and functional Win 10 v1703 build setup now and I can apply cumulative updates no problem.

It leaves me to wonder, what parts do I still have that are not in your ideally "chopped" system?  I've removed all Apps, and have reduced the services and scheduled tasks considerably.  To support an idle desktop it's running 75 processes and using about 1 GB of RAM.  Is this substantially different than the goals in this thread?  Have I chopped less deeply?

Note that I started by removing things from a full ISO installation done as an in-place upgrade from the prior v1607 system I have been maintaining in a VM since before Win 10 was initially released.  Since I was successful at this I'm actually starting to consider whether the ongoing advantages of "keeping current" are starting to outweigh the advantages of sticking with the older system (Win 8.1) I'm still using on my hardware.

Win10CreatorsEditionTweaked.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

6 hours ago, abbodi1406 said:

how did you reduced your OS?

Generally speaking:  By removing AppX packages, removing other features (e.g., OneDrive), disabling many services, disabling many scheduled tasks - all on the online system that's running.  I wrote a re-tweaker script that does a lot of it.

One thing I'm NOT concerned with is making the system footprint on disk smaller; even SSD space is far too cheap to try to delete things that the OS wants to see remain there.

Notably I'm very careful to ensure the system thinks it's still serviceable (e.g., SFC and DISM /Online report no problems).

I have been doing it this way for many years.  So far I've never had any failure to update.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

9 hours ago, HarryTri said:

O&O Shutup 10 is surely a good program and does a good job but never trust Windows 10 (would you trust a criminal just because he is in prison)?

All O&O does is reduce the attempts to communicate online.  DNS blacklisting and a deny-by-default firewall configuration are the real enforcers for me, along with tweaking a number of other settings to discourage the system from trying to be chatty.

Don't kid yourself:  Win 8.1 and 7 are not mum without similar tweaking.

-Noel

21 hours ago, NoelC said:

Generally speaking:  By removing AppX packages, removing other features (e.g., OneDrive), disabling many services, disabling many scheduled tasks - all on the online system that's running.  I wrote a re-tweaker script that does a lot of it.

One thing I'm NOT concerned with is making the system footprint on disk smaller; even SSD space is far too cheap to try to delete things that the OS wants to see remain there.

Notably I'm very careful to ensure the system thinks it's still serviceable (e.g., SFC and DISM /Online report no problems).

I have been doing it this way for many years.  So far I've never had any failure to update.

-Noel

That's definitely the right way to do, no chopping

i use similar approch :)

i can actually "prevent" installing most of "unneeded" system apps with deleteing one registry key for each prior installation (or during setup pass specialize)

set key=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\InboxApplications
FOR %%i IN (
holocamera
holoitemplayerapp
HoloShell
PPIProjection
AppRep.ChxApp
ContentDeliveryManager
CortanaListenUIApp
Cortana
Holograms
HolographicFirstRun
ParentalControls
SecHealthUI
SecureAssessmentBrowser
XboxGameCallableUI
) DO (
	FOR /F %%a IN ('reg query %key% /s /f %%i /k 2^>nul ^| find /i "InboxApplications"') DO IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 (reg delete %%a /f 2>nul)
)

note: in ver 1703, preventing Cortana will make Start Menu greyed (functional but not clickable)

Edited by abbodi1406

7 hours ago, abbodi1406 said:

That's definitely the right way to do, no chopping

i use similar approch :)

i can actually "prevent" installing most of "unneeded" system apps with deleteing one registry key for each prior installation (or during setup pass specialize)

set key=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\InboxApplications
FOR %%i IN (
holocamera
holoitemplayerapp
HoloShell
PPIProjection
AppRep.ChxApp
ContentDeliveryManager
CortanaListenUIApp
Cortana
Holograms
HolographicFirstRun
ParentalControls
SecHealthUI
SecureAssessmentBrowser
XboxGameCallableUI
) DO (
	FOR /F %%a IN ('reg query %key% /s /f %%i /k 2^>nul ^| find /i "InboxApplications"') DO IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 (reg delete %%a /f 2>nul)
)

note: in ver 1703, preventing Cortana will make Start Menu greyed (functional but not clickable)

Could we run this in an automatic way making it OOBE.cmd and put it in sources\$oem$\$$\Setup\Scripts\OOBE.cmd ?

Or Is there another way?

alacran

Edited by alacran

On Κυριακή, 23 Απριλίου 2017 at 8:28 AM, NoelC said:

Don't kid yourself:  Win 8.1 and 7 are not mum without similar tweaking.

-Noel

Yes, the updated ones (Windows 8 isn't so updated ;)). Without the "telemetry" stuff they do communicate with Microsoft's servers but in a rather innocent way (no spying/data files tracking).