Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

ppgrainbow

Last Versions of Software for Windows 95

Posted (edited)

Oops. OpenOffice.org 1.1.5. There are also two fixes after that (1, 2). I read somwhere that 2.0.x can be made to run on Win95 too. But I can't find the source (edit: of the rumor) and patches. Version 2.x and newer have a bit nicer GUI and support ODT (I think).

Edited by astropuppy

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ppgrainbow said:

I already have Windows 95B installed on my 32 GB SanDisk CF drive and I can't believe that it still works when I run it on VMware Player.

Oh, that's a nice idea. :) I mean, using 2.5" to CF adapter to speed up Win 95 on a laptop. Those old disks are very slow and noisy. But I don't know if such a large "disk" would work. :blink:

But I guess installing Win95 (and additional software) on a CF in a VM would be much faster. Especially with K6-2 and +2.1Ghz patches.

I'm currently testing Windows 95C in VirtualBox. But I'm just trying to figure out what works and what updates/patches to install so I can make an ISO with all needed software before the real installation.

Edited by astropuppy
Added the quotes around "disk". :)

Posted (edited)

resysinfo 2.1 - system information tool - works on both windows 95 and NT 4, make sure you have dial up networking files installed for both of these OS as it needs rasapi32.dll, i believe 2.2 only works on 98SE and newer, i got 2.2 working on 98SE, i could not get version 2.2 to run on 95 or NT 4. i have attached resysinfo 2.1 below in case anyone could not locate it, mdgx's link was broken for quite some time and i was not able to find other ones from waybackmachine until one site i found, i do not guarantee though if the file is good or not ( virus or not ), i tested it on my system and nothing strange happened, if i am not doing something right, please let me know and i will delete the uploaded file. 

Roadkil's Disk Speed 2.0 for 9x - nice hdd benchmark tool, i believe it measures queue depth 1 for random 4k reads. 

DTemp 1.0.0.34 (checks hdd temperature) - nice and lightweight program

resysinfo_setup.zip

Edited by cov3rt

31 minutes ago, cov3rt said:

resysinfo 2.1 - system information tool - works on both windows 95 and NT 4, make sure you have dial up networking files installed for both of these OS as it needs rasapi32.dll, i believe 2.2 only works on 98SE and newer, i got 2.2 working on 98SE, i could not get version 2.2 to run on 95 or NT 4. i have attached resysinfo 2.1 below in case anyone could not locate it, mdgx's link was broken for quite some time and i was not able to find other ones from waybackmachine until one site i found, i do not guarantee though if the file is good or not ( virus or not ), i tested it on my system and nothing strange happened, if i am not doing something right, please let me know and i will delete the uploaded file. 

Roadkil's Disk Speed 2.0 for 9x - nice hdd benchmark tool, i believe it measures queue depth 1 for random 4k reads. 

DTemp 1.0.0.34 (checks hdd temperature) - nice and lightweight program

resysinfo_setup.zip

Thank you for the links to these products that you found that last worked on Windows 95. I believe that ReSysInfo 1.x also work with Windows 95/NT4 upwards. :)

Posted (edited)

Ok. An update on OpenOffice.org on Windows 95.

The last officially supported version was actually 1.0.3.1, but 1.1.x supposedly ran without any problems.

I mentioned about 2.0.x being runnable. Not only that, I've seen mentions of 2.3.x and 2.4.x. But some files had to be hacked to make that working.

There are 2 great links on hacking OO.org 2.x to run on Win95:

• Nathan Lineback of "Nathans Toasty Techs GUI Library" fame is one of the biggest fans of Windows 95 on the internet. His site is full of Windows 95 hints. Although they can be a bit scattered. Info on hacking OO.org 2.x is on this link.
  • Lightspeed's great page on Windows 95 (archived version from 2008 - this material is not on his site anymore). It has info and a download to make OpenOffice.org 2.0.x run on Win 95.

The second link is also full of info on Windows 95 apps.

Let me add a few apps to the list for those not interested in OO.org:

• Far Manager 1.7.x  legacy version should work (it's a pure Win32 console app, not a DOS app). 1.5.2 will work. 1.7.x test pending.
  • Akelpad still supports Windows 95. Although I didn't test the last version on Win95. Test pending.
  • Vim has several builds for Win32. The latest console version works fine. The default Win32 (GUI) download for 7.3 works fine. I don't know about 7.4 and 8.x. Test pending.
  • Greenpad has several builds. Including Win95 build. Last build is from 2008, though. But it's pretty nice editor with syntax hilighting. It also works in Win32s under Windows 3.1. There is an unoffical version with NT 3.51 support.
Edited by astropuppy

Posted (edited)

Far Manager 1.70 build 2087 (2006) seems to be the last to run on W95. 1.75 gives isDebuggerPresent error. It might be possible to hack it to run.

Screenshot_2018-04-21_17-04-46.thumb.png.d0b535d7b8d728856247e9d0d8fdceae.png

Akelpad's current version still works perfectly:

Screenshot_2018-04-21_07-03-45.thumb.png.48f7fde0a163e265fbebc86058a48a91.png

Putty 0.65 is the last to work on Win95. That is also valid for PuttyTel (telnet client). Putty utilities still work up to 0.67.

Screenshot_2018-04-21_06-51-36.thumb.png.914e15e91d2923dc9ae6c17a2b5a2011.png

Box drawing characters seem not to work. Or at least I couldn't get them to work. Mouse doesn't work either inside the session window.

Screenshot_2018-04-21_06-54-34.thumb.png.c5a17216b2242c0feefa3cf25a246601.png

Last version of WinSCP to work on Win95 is 4.1.9 (2009). It can still connect to modern SSH servers so it made the transfer between a Linux host machine and Win95 VM much easier.

It should work also with Windows host if you can find a working SSH/SFTP server.

Screenshot_2018-04-21_06-36-03.thumb.png.7b2c6b7994458e1739f26d15c52b6c41.png

I also tested "Dave's Telnet" (also know as dtelnet) and it seems to work. The version tested was 1.3.7 from 2016. It's not a current one. I didn't try connecting to a server as I didn't want to bother with starting and configuring a telnet server just for that.

Screenshot_2018-04-21_05-05-26.png.a59b88a9035feec056448ff4dea93d4a.png

Other:

Edited by astropuppy

Btw, the current version of IrfanView doesn't support 9x anymore. The last is probably 4.40.

Posted (edited)

Heh... IrfanView 4.40 seems to have some quirks on 95. Although most of the things work. For example, bringing up "About" dialog crashes IView. :unsure:

S0S78w7.png

Edit: the bubble dialog in the right corner is from the host machine. Not the VM.

Edited by astropuppy

which reminds me^, i could not get "miranda-im-v0.10.78-unicode" to work on windows 95. it gave a similar illegal operation error. ws_ftp 5.08 installed fine so i only kept that one for reference. maybe an older miranda might work? 

Posted (edited)

Windows 9x doesn't natively support Unicode. Some apps might work if developer took care to fall back to unicows.dll in case of Win9x, but most won't. See if there is an "ANSI" build available on the download page.

Edit:

Click here for the ANSI installer wich will work on 9x. Of course, it might still not work on WIn95.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miranda/files/miranda-im/0.10.78.0/miranda-im-v0.10.78-ansi.exe/download

or here for 7zip archive without an installer:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miranda/files/miranda-im/0.10.78.0/miranda-im-v0.10.78-ansi.7z/download

Edited by astropuppy

I tried 0.10.39 and 0.10.24 from their download archive.

The first one didn't work. It seems to be built dynamically with VC2008 so it depends on VC2008 runtime which is not available for 95.

The other one seemed to work, but I didn't test further. So, the releases in between might work too.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, astropuppy said:

I tried 0.10.39 and 0.10.24 from their download archive.

The first one didn't work. It seems to be built dynamically with VC2008 so it depends on VC2008 runtime which is not available for 95.

The other one seemed to work, but I didn't test further. So, the releases in between might work too.

so i tested almost everything in between 0.10.39 and 0.10.24 and the only version i got working was the ansi version of 0.10.24. the filename is specifically "miranda-im-v0.10.24-ansi". i didn't test 0.10.25 and 0.10.26, it was getting annoying testing all the files so i went straight to 0.10.24 to see if was true or not and it was. 

Edited by cov3rt

Posted (edited)

Ok. I mentioned about sftp server for Windows. There is guide on winscp's site: https://winscp.net/eng/docs/guide_windows_openssh_server. They are linking to OpenSSH port done by Microsoft's PowerShell team. Those binaries are likely to be for Win 7 and newer. Some others are mentioned here, but I've had very limited experience with them.

It's very nice way to connect to your VM as you don't need to turn on builtin insecure SMB v1, which might be blocked anyways in newer Windows. Of course, it feels a bit more native on Unix-likes (Linux, FreeBSD, even OS X), but it should work pretty solid in Windows too.

Someone mentioned that you need MS IntelliPoint drivers for scroll wheel. Not necessarily. Logitech MouseWare works too. It works pretty nice in VirtualBox.

Btw, I had idea it might be possible to hack Miranda into submission. When I changed the Windows subsystem to 4.0 with a freeware utility, it showed a new mistake: about needing msvc9 runtime (VC2008). I patched msvcrt90.dll and it gave a meaningful error. I don't remember exactly, but it's about special folders. This is something that might be implemented in IE4 desktop integration so might be worth to try.

On the other note, it  might be possible to recompile it in VC2008 in way that is runable on Win95. There are some tips online on using VC2008 to produce Win 95 compatible executables. 

Anyways, I haven't found the time to test it more thoroughly. And, it's not currently high on my priority list. I don't have any interest in IMs anymore.  But it has some hack value, so I'm lightly interested.   :)

Edited by astropuppy