Painfully Slow Network Speeds

CaelThunderwing

i understand Network speeds will be abysmal in 98SE, but seriously only 80Kb/s? i have a 30Mbit Down Connection, i know the Ethernet adapter is atbest never going to go blazingly fast but a 10/100 in full duplex should at least achieve alot faster No? anything to fix this?

Which adapter is it and which driver you have installed? Maybe you have a problem with your driver or your ethernet adapter is faulty or you use a slow and bad LAN cabel. Did you test your down speed? Maybe your router can give you information about the real speed.

Edited by schwups

6 hours ago, schwups said:

Which adapter is it and which driver you have installed? Maybe you have a problem with your driver or your ethernet adapter is faulty or you use a slow and bad LAN cabel. Did you test your down speed? Maybe your router can give you information about the real speed.

not sure the exact Lan adapter w/o Booting Hiren's Boot CD (machine's off atm) but i think it's the SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (Built in LAN)

3 hours ago, ragnargd said:

Do you have any machine on the same LAN to compare? Some Windows 10 machine, in example?

when my main rig connected the same manner (all my machines unless they're laptops/handhelds i perfeer to hardwire ver going wifi) can easily max out at 3.5MB/s (which is the max per megabyte my speed package w/ comcast caps at.) so its not the AIO Modem.

You are not sure? The correct driver for the SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter is sl119.zip. http://w3.sis.com/download/download_step1.php?id=153181

Ethernet cables: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ethernet_cables

3 hours ago, schwups said:

You are not sure? The correct driver for the SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter is sl119.zip. http://w3.sis.com/download/download_step1.php?id=153181

Ethernet cables: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ethernet_cables

Edit, Tried those No differance in Speeds even tried swapping cables.

Edited by CaelThunderwing

it seems networks speeds are limiting performance from applications from the internet, the speeds im getting are a lot quicker than the op but should still be faster, for ethernet, on my 24 mbps service, i only got about 4 mbps upload and download speeds, interestingly, when i tested with wifi very close to the router, it was 4 mbps on both upload and download as well, i would have though the ethernet would have been significantly faster but they were like the same speed. this was all tested on the dell precision m70 laptop. i can watch youtube videos up to 720p hd settings fairly smoothly, although could be a little smoother, and i don't think it's the hardware that is the limiting factor as the specs are pretty high end on the laptop, but rather the network speeds being the bottleneck. for some reason 1080p hd doesn't work on youtube, it just gives an error on firefox 3.5.19 with flash 11. 

Edited by cov3rt

I also have the SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter and can sustain 4Mbps with driver SISNIC.SYS version 1.14.01.00.
sl119.zip contains SISNIC.SYS 1.17.03.

Win9x is optimized by default for Dial-up connections. Make sure your reoptimize it using TCPOptimizer, CableNut, etc.

Get a program called TCPoptimizer and use it to conf up stuff, you will get drastic improvement in network related stuff. Only way I could get most out of my 400Mbit connection. Also required for win XP.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7.4.2017 at 5:49 PM, CaelThunderwing said:

not sure the exact Lan adapter w/o Booting Hiren's Boot CD (machine's off atm) but i think it's the SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (Built in LAN)

when my main rig connected the same manner (all my machines unless they're laptops/handhelds i perfeer to hardwire ver going wifi) can easily max out at 3.5MB/s (which is the max per megabyte my speed package w/ comcast caps at.) so its not the AIO Modem.

According to suse.com the SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter does support 100 Mbit/s speed.

I aswell have a Windows 98 machine which has a built-in Fast Ethernet Adapter with so called 100 Mbit/s speed that doesnt get the complete bandwith on any speedtest.

We have a max out at approximately 3 MB/s. The highest I could achieve on Windows 98SE however was 2 MB/s using that connection and Patch 5E cable (and latest drivers ofcourse for the Network Interface Card).

There might be the possibility of duplex mismatch(read about that on wikipedia). It could happen if that mode is set on your SiS 900 PCI Fast Etherenet Adapter (NIC) or the router/modem you use(Id rather say the NIC because you archive the maximum speed on the laptops/handhels). 

Try to find out it you can change the setting. Im not so familiar with SiS 900, but for the type of NIC I use there was such a setting that could be changed in the Control Panel =>Network applet.

But like I said I didnt archieve the full bandwith on that one. But 80 Kb/s must be improvable.

I had slow network speeds as well on my nForce 3 motherboard, with the latest drivers from NVIDIA's website under 98SE. I've tried TCPOptimizer to no avail.

Maybe WinME will be faster?

Edited by MrMateczko

perhaps modifying the maxmtu settings of windows would allow faster download/upload speeds, this was something i had experimented with a while back but i don't remember what i did and if it helped or not. i guess il just have to experiment again myself. 

Duplex should default to "auto" which should then auto-negotiate to full duplex. You can try setting it to "full" for all network devices.

What MTU are you using?

Make sure you set it to 1500, reboot and test for "Largest MTU" with TCP Optimizer. Then set it to that and reboot again. On T-Mobile this is 1440 for me. My TCP Receive Window is 128800.

When setting the MTU, make sure you select the correct adapter. (I have four listed.)