Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.5.3

2 hours ago, BJFox said:

Wondering the same. Symbols download fine, but I am still getting the DWM compatibility error. I have deleted and downloaded new symbols about 4 times and it does not change anything. If I click "cancel" instead of "retry" then Aeroglass works on 1909, but I have to do that every time do a logon. 

Compat_Error.JPG

Symbols1.JPG

Any way to directly contact the developer?

12 hours ago, arifkarim said:

Any way to directly contact the developer?

I am not sure. I have always posted in this forum and waited for resolution. @bigmuscle always takes care of the bugs. The instructions on the support page are "Use MSFN forum for any kind of support" so that is what I have always done.

The hard part (for me) is being patient because Windows 10 sucks so bad without AeroGlass.  Since 1909 was only just released for public consumption a couple of days ago, it would be unreasonable to expect it to be fixed already. For now it is an annoyance to have to click the cancel button on the DWM error at every logon, but otherwise it seems to be working. 

For the record, my desktop and my laptop both have the same issue with 1909.

Win 10 v1909 essentially IS v1903 with some run time switches thrown.  Same underlying OS build.  As those of you who have been through the upgrade have seen, it was only a minor install that didn't take long to download nor restart.  Not an in-place upgrade at all, but just another  update.

I admit NOT swapping out the OS underpinnings is perhaps the first impressive thing Microsoft has done with Windows in a long time.  Hurrah!

It would be awesome if BigMuscle would rebuild an optimized version of Aero Glass for Win 8+ that loosened the compatibility check and allowed v1909 just the same as v1903, without the dialog, though we can of course hit the [Cancel] button for now as a workaround. 

Let's hope he still has the interest to continue to develop Aero Glass for Win 8+. 

BigMuscle, if you're listening, it would also be cool if you'd add a version check circumvention based on a registry entry (assuming you don't already have one) just in case something like this amazing continuation of Windows compatibility should ever happen again.

Thanks!

-Noel

On 11/14/2019 at 1:30 AM, BJFox said:

Wondering the same. Symbols download fine, but I am still getting the DWM compatibility error. I have deleted and downloaded new symbols about 4 times and it does not change anything. If I click "cancel" instead of "retry" then Aeroglass works on 1909, but I have to do that every time do a logon. 

Same issue here with 1909. I also get the same error message, but hitting "Retry" does nothing and I have no glass effect. Can you tell me what exactly you have done or downloaded to get it running after hitting "Retry", please?

Windows 10 without Glass is awfully...

13 hours ago, BertG said:

Sorry, forgot to say that neither "Cancel" nor "Retry" does have any effect.

12 hours ago, Klamatiel said:

Then you are missing symbols.

^^This. If you have downloaded new symbols, then hitting "Cancel" will work every time. A minor annoyance, but still better than having to tolerate the unaesthetic Windows 10 UI abortion without AeroGlass. I am also hopeful that @bigmuscle will update it to have 1909 compatibility. I have been a long time (since 2013) financial supporter of his work and will gladly, and without hesitation, make another donation if he does.

Edited by BJFox

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 8:26 PM, NoelC said:

Win 10 v1909 essentially IS v1903 with some run time switches thrown.  Same underlying OS build.  As those of you who have been through the upgrade have seen, it was only a minor install that didn't take long to download nor restart.  Not an in-place upgrade at all, but just another  update.

I admit NOT swapping out the OS underpinnings is perhaps the first impressive thing Microsoft has done with Windows in a long time.  Hurrah!

It would be awesome if BigMuscle would rebuild an optimized version of Aero Glass for Win 8+ that loosened the compatibility check and allowed v1909 just the same as v1903, without the dialog, though we can of course hit the [Cancel] button for now as a workaround. 

Let's hope he still has the interest to continue to develop Aero Glass for Win 8+. 

BigMuscle, if you're listening, it would also be cool if you'd add a version check circumvention based on a registry entry (assuming you don't already have one) just in case something like this amazing continuation of Windows compatibility should ever happen again.

Thanks!

-Noel

I'm still hoping... ready and willing to make another donation if @bigmuscle fixes it. Would be nice not to have to click the "Cancel" button at every logon to have AeroGlass function.

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh.  End of an era I guess.  Thank goodness for developers like Big Muscle who gave us Aero Glass for 10 years longer than we could have hoped to have it.  I'm not quite ready to take my systems to v1909 yet, but it's inevitable.

-Noel

4 hours ago, NoelC said:

Sigh.  End of an era I guess.  Thank goodness for developers like Big Muscle who gave us Aero Glass for 10 years longer than we could have hoped to have it.  I'm not quite ready to take my systems to v1909 yet, but it's inevitable.

-Noel

Wait was Glass8 abandoned/canceled? o.o