Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.5.3

5 hours ago, SkyySX said:

Oh sure no problem!

1:

- Go to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

<...>

It didn't work for me, I see no changes. It don't know if it makes any difference but I run 64-bit Firefox version 60.6.2 ESR.

Regedit.PNG

Firefox.PNG

Firefox.exe.manifest.png

1 hour ago, MDJ said:

It didn't work for me, I see no changes. It don't know if it makes any difference but I run 64-bit Firefox version 60.6.2 ESR.

Regedit.PNG

Firefox.PNG

Firefox.exe.manifest.png

That's odd, I uploaded my manifest file just to make sure so try it with that one maybe. Also did you reboot after making the change in the registry?

firefox.exe.manifest

Thank you for  your reply.

I created the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

DWORD value there called PreferExternalManifest set to 1

I put the file firefox.exe.manifest into C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

Rebooted.

But this is not working. Still black tab bar.

I removed the userChrome.css mod.

Then tab bar is solid color and do not have transparency.

Edited by wmn

I found the solution. You need to add that DWORD not into the location mentioned but in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide.

Aero Glass looks more neat done this way rather than by using userChrome.css

Edited by MDJ

2 hours ago, MDJ said:

I found the solution. You need to add that DWORD not into the location mentioned but in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide.

Aero Glass looks more neat done this way rather than by using userChrome.css

Does not seem to work for me.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, wmn said:

Yes.

As you said, you had already removed userChrome.css. Hmm... do you have your Aero Glass installed via official setup wizard?

2 minutes ago, MDJ said:

As you said, you had already removed userChrome.css. Hmm... do you have your Aero Glass installed via official setup wizard?

Yes. Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.5.11.1602 x64 correctly loaded.

Sorry I just double-checked and yeah the correct location in the registry is indeed SideBySide, I copied the key from a tutorial yesterday that had it wrong. Although I'm stumped why it doesn't seem to work for others. You could also try to modify the manifest inside Firefox.exe directly with ResourceHacker, I can provide instructions for that too if people are interested.

5 hours ago, MDJ said:

And if wmn would install ESR version of Firefox they wouldn't need to commonly update manifest inside firefox.exe.

Bah, disabling hardware acceleration have not a big impact on performance (at least on a fast PC).

This way. no problem ;)

Bye.

On 7/11/2019 at 8:15 PM, wmn said:

I found a solution:

Disable Firefox hardware acceleration...

Setting "layers.acceleration.disabled" to true using about:config do the same result.

The fault seems to be Firefox 68 have changed something in the way they use hardware acceleration.

You can also disable hardware acceleration through the Firefox settings.

In about:preferences>General scroll down to 'Performance' and uncheck 'Use recommended performance settings' and then uncheck the new entry that appears for 'Use hardware acceleration when available'

I've checked and it changes the same setting in about:config that you have mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

"Machine ID too short"

Trying to generate a new key and it tells me error machine ID too short.

I thought the Machine ID was the Physical Address in cmd - ipconfig /all?

It's been years since I had to generate another key and I do have plenty remaining.

Can someone help as the search produces nothing.

Edit: Found it, it's product ID in "About this pc"   but it still doesn't work, what's going on?

Edited by Ex_Brit