Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.5.3

3 hours ago, NoelC said:

I don't remember where I got UxTSB.dll.

All I can suggest is to try to match the size/date on the files I'm showing in my screen grab.  The set of files I have do seem to all work together nicely for Win 10 v1703.

-Noel

I've tried the loader @dhjohns suggested, and various tweakings but I was unable to to apply custom VSs using this method. Yet I remember AppInit method working in the past on my older PC a couple of years ago. I guess I'll have to stick with good old system files patching.

Still works well in build 15063.413, but sometimes when you resize the windows the program reboots, and in some modern apps such as Onenote and Edge you have to minimize and maximize the window twice.d0c5374a7c360a17cd8ba1a070ae97671e2e7f92

Edited by carlitosoo555

5 hours ago, carlitosoo555 said:

Still works well in build 15063.413, but sometimes

Unfortunately that doesn't sound like "works well" really...

Where did you get 15063.413?  Is it already being delivered by Windows Update?

I'm still trying to figure out whether my tweaked system will actually take the next update.  If it won't via normal Windows Update I guess I'll try going through the catalog if the update shows up there.  I'll add my 2 cents on Aero Glass if and when I get it updated.

If updates are going to break and re-break Aero Glass for Win 8+, that says to me:

1. It's a constant uphill battle to fight Microsoft's wishes.  I suspect Big Muscle has been considering whether it's worth trying to fight that battle.  I know *I'm* getting tired of the constant flux.

2. If I can't make Win 10 look the way I want (and it's already true that some things just refuse to behave), I really am not going to delay adopting it as long as humanly possible.  "You have to have it our way or else" leaves me with a deep resentment of Microsoft.

-Noel

@NoelC  The problems I mentioned above were also in the previous build (15063.332) at least in my case, you don't use modern apps (except Settings) maybe that's why you don't notice these bugs, I use them all the time, the problem when you resize a window appears very occasionally and only on modern apps, this update is the "Patch Tuesday" and was released today at 10:00 AM PDT.

Edited by carlitosoo555

15 hours ago, NoelC said:

Unfortunately that doesn't sound like "works well" really...

Where did you get 15063.413?  Is it already being delivered by Windows Update?

-Noel

Direct Download link

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2017/06/windows10.0-kb4022725-x64_f4468667fb546204531ff9b88ef9b8b095a26786.msu

I've finally figured out what it takes to get Win 10 v1703 to successfully update - no thanks to anything resembling a readable error message in CBS.log.

Through restoral of snapshots and trial and error, I finally got to where I could bring it up to 15063.413 by doing all my re-tweaks EXCEPT removing all the Apps that one has to bend over backward to remove.

Looking at CBS.log, the most I could find is some kind of cryptic error mentioning not being able to update the AppX subsystem, which I suppose is a clue, but certainly not a very good one.

I don't see any obvious problems with Aero Glass after the update.  But as carlitosoo555 mentioned, I'm not really doing anything with Apps still, and frankly I'm not doing all that much with Win 10 in general.

-Noel

Edit:  I've just had a DWM crash with version 15063.413.  I was moving the right edge of an Internet Explorer window around to try to take a screen grab.  Yep, it seems reproducible.  This might be because I'm using an old theme not made for v1703.  Sigh.

Edited by NoelC

On 6/15/2017 at 11:31 AM, NoelC said:

I've finally figured out what it takes to get Win 10 v1703 to successfully update - no thanks to anything resembling a readable error message in CBS.log.

Through restoral of snapshots and trial and error, I finally got to where I could bring it up to 15063.413 by doing all my re-tweaks EXCEPT removing all the Apps that one has to bend over backward to remove.

Looking at CBS.log, the most I could find is some kind of cryptic error mentioning not being able to update the AppX subsystem, which I suppose is a clue, but certainly not a very good one.

I don't see any obvious problems with Aero Glass after the update.  But as carlitosoo555 mentioned, I'm not really doing anything with Apps still, and frankly I'm not doing all that much with Win 10 in general.

-Noel

Edit:  I've just had a DWM crash with version 15063.413.  I was moving the right edge of an Internet Explorer window around to try to take a screen grab.  Yep, it seems reproducible.  This might be because I'm using an old theme not made for v1703.  Sigh.

Can confirm. I had this same issue with Tubecast.  It seems to work fine on most cases but with modern/metro/universal apps it can crash.

On 15. 6. 2017 at 8:31 PM, NoelC said:

This might be because I'm using an old theme not made for v1703.  Sigh.

The one from sagopirbd? So far, every new build has changed the layout of .msstyles file at least a little. It's the best to use the correct .msstyles for particular build for everything to match 100% down to the smallest details. Hopefully, it gets updated some day.

I only recently realized I've been using the theme that was meant for Windows 8.1 WITHOUT Update 1 (KB2919355). I found an updated equivalent. I'm not very picky when it comes looks, certainly not to the point that I'd need something very screaming, but I can't help but find this modern flat design just plain boring, especially compared to what we've got out-of-the-box in the past.

Also, how about an official classic theme with desktop composition? What I like about it is that elements take less screen space, eg. the context menus (though perhaps not the best for fancier screens). And I bet I'm not the only one who thinks it's more stylish than Windows 10's default.

Thanks for confirming what I thought.

The Springfield Tire Fire seems more stylish than Windows 10's (lack of) theme.  The worst of it is that most folks don't have an understanding that the visual styles on controls helped make them easier to use.  As one who sits in front of my workstation all day and well into the night I certain sense a difference.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC