Active x problem

Roffen

After installing Sp4 and turning automatic updates on, I don't get any updates, automatically or manually.

Seems that Active x is missing, is that the cause? I just can't find out how to download/install Active x, can someone tell me how to do it? (Yes, I feel silly having to ask.)

That's what I have thought as well. I don't remember why I suspected it was a ActiveX problem but I must have sen a message or something. Anyway, updating doesn't work.

But right now I am very confused.

I copied instructions for an edit to the Registry, and took the doc file to another machine for printing. But what I found is that none of the two Brother printers I have connected to that machine would print. I get an error message, cancel the print jobs but nothing helps. And that is a machine i can't even remember having had any problems for a very long time. I could even use the printers from this machine on the my network.

I didn't ever expect I'd want to use this word again, but now I am flabbergasted!  Was even tempted to use all caps there;)

Is there something in the air? In the news this morning was a report on several bursts of a radium isotope in the air somewhere in the country.

That's the best explanation i can find.

Edited by Roffen
typo fix.

1 hour ago, Roffen said:

That's what I have thought as well. I don't remember why I suspected it was a ActiveX problem but I must have sen a message or something.

It might be simpler that expected - maybe you have accidentally chosen to always block ActiveX formants on Windows Update site when prompted?

Also, your Internet Security, antivirus or whatever protective software might cause problem with windows update. My Avast! does not only cause Windows update troubles, I also have to disable it while scanning.

1 hour ago, Roffen said:

But what I found is that none of the two Brother printers I have connected to that machine would print

Are you sure you have installed the same hardware driver for browser that worked previously? Maybe you should look for old CD with printer drivers you might have somewhere, or dive deep into the internet to look for other driver version. But beware of bad bloatware sites! ;)