The Mach L Personal SuperComputer

Datalore

Ok, this has bugged me for ages. Read the crap, read the made up jargon slapped all over their website, and tell me, can it be done on a normal computer?

Jargon example: Super-BIOS (IBPT), enhanced CacheFlow™, PuRAM and FreeFlow™ Cooling Technologies.

Just look at some of these quotes:

Performance improvements include refinements in the system's and GUI's responsiveness, sub-layer hard disk data buffering and CacheFlow Technologies
Sub-layer what?
On our computers featuring PuRam™ (no System Hard Disk Technology) you can work at speeds never before achieved on any personal computer at any price. There are no more virtual memory or swap file delays (since now they are as fast as RAM), and there are no more System Disk Defrags (memory is random so it does not need defragging). Windows boots up in seconds, every application starts virtually instantly, and now moving, copying, or working on large files has literally no slow-down affect on the blistering fast computing speed. Directly derived from our PuRam™ technology, on our desktops we have added a 128Meg Hard Disk Buffer Sub-layer built into the Operating System (64Megs on Laptops), allowing for an unmatched disk performance under any application or I/O request.

Windows booting in seconds? How come it wasn't all over Slashdot or any other news site? How come searching for "Mach L supercomputer boot time" shows up practically nothing? Hmmm...

I'd like to know if there's ANY way possible to implement that ReallyFastBoot™ thing on a typical computer. I'm having trouble digging through the tons of text to see if there's any hint as to what they actually use.

Any thoughts?

Maybe I should just ask for a review unit. :)

Wow, sounds intense. Thanks for the info. Could you buy a small one (say 256 MB) and load Windows XP Embedded on it, and then have another hard drive to install programs on?

Price comparisons:

Simple Tech Flash Drive , 128 MB $111

Simple Tech Flash Drive , 256 MB $131

Simple Tech Flash Drive , 2 GB $667

As referenced here.

600 posts! :)

yeah they are talking about solid state/RAM drives. But yeah, i agree... lot of jargonated BS there to try and throw you.

$667 for a whole 2gb drive... jeez id fill that up in under a day. Mind.. if you just use that for the OS and then use normal SATA array for the rest then yeah .. very fast pc.

Please.. no.. tempted now.. grr

Uhh no, not shelling out money like that.

The 100mb was a joke

And yes there are things you can do to make it boot like that with a decent sys. Mine is just a Athalon 1800 512DDR. I work on so much stuff not sure exact combination but heres a few I use

Disable autoexec processing

Old style login with no pass - thats major

Disable Auto Boot Disk Optimization - I turn on occassionally then off

Disable chkdisk

Turn off run desktop clean-up wizard

Disable Last Access

Disable 8+3

Remove Shared Doc's

Kill Remote Namespace Tasks

Kill Remote Namespace Printers

Disable XPs zip and cab crap

System Restore I run on 7 days but - delay it taking snapshot till 2 min mark on the daily.

And more

Several other things I've done mostly shown in Windows Tips 'n' Tweaks forum - be suprised unloading the garbage what it will do for you

Ooops spoke too soon its 26 seconds now. I've reformatted lately and haven't uninstalled stuff like webcheck and PCHealth this go around. Also my reg is well over 144000 and have a boatload of software installed. Also have to press enter at login screen, I know how to disable but usually run a password there. Removed pass for this test.

Logon screen is about 23 secs

The brown spot says Boot Done ( in 16.43 secs)

From powered off

Bootup26.jpg

Thats loading ZonealarmPro and my Antivirus and Logitech mouse

Or am I interpreting this wrong?