2 TiB limit size in MBR hard drives

Cixert

After further experimentation I have determined that unlike VFAT.VXD, FASTFAT.SYS and presumably NTFS.SYS do not handle Partiition offsets so they do not need to be modified. The Extended MBR Patch will need to be placed further down the Driver stack.

On 5/28/2017 at 5:17 PM, dencorso said:

Shouldn't this thread be in the XP forum? What has it to do with 2k or 2k3? :unsure:

I assume that since XP, 2k and 2k3 share a common codebase (NT 5.x), whatever applies to one, should apply to the others, and thus it doesn't really matter which forum it gets posted in, since it's equally relevant to everything NT 5-based.

That's my understanding, anyway.

c

14 hours ago, cc333 said:

I assume that since XP, 2k and 2k3 share a common codebase (NT 5.x), whatever applies to one, should apply to the others, and thus it doesn't really matter which forum it gets posted in, since it's equally relevant to everything NT 5-based.

That's my understanding, anyway.

c

@cc333

That post you quoted is a leftover from the split that was made.

At a given point 98SE and RLoew started talking here of Ramdisk related stuff for Windows 98 and the topic was split, keeping here the XP (or NT 5.x if you prefer) and 2TB MBR limit stuff, moving all the rest to this new topic:

Everything is cool and dandy, now. :)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

vioplujjnsjzfg wrote on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:02 am

Spoke too soon:
DO NOT USE THIS DISK PATCH!!!

Everything seems to be working but it's NOT! Seems like disk writes gets wrapped around over 2.2TB and ends up rewriting start of the disk!
Being stupid and trying it on my main PC for a week I just lost everything on my 3TB drive (all NTFS structures overwritten by data).

The old and always reliable wraparound strikes again... :angel

I bought paragon GPT years ago, its working, but it sucks that i cant be used for boot disk.. other problem which i have i that i wasnt capable to make it work with Intel Sata i and i had to use Marwell or Asmedia Sata ports, what is pretty limiting when you selecting new board (unless you using additiona controllerl).

But not be able to make it work with Intel controll, could be my fault, im also not sure about these 3TB unlockers and enablers from MB manufactors and Acronis, i once unistalled it and Paragon GTP was not working after restart.

Edited by ruthan

I ran some experiments n the hope of supporting my Extended MBR approach to >2TiB Hard drives.

As a minimum you need to modify or replace ATAPI.SYS. The Windows 2003 Version did not work. The UNIATA replacement does work.

I was able to get past 2TiB with UNIATA using ASPI Commands but still did not see >2TiB through the \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE# Interface.
I did not try your DISK.SYS with UNIATA.

1 hour ago, rloew said:

I ran some experiments n the hope of supporting my Extended MBR approach to >2TiB Hard drives.

As a minimum you need to modify or replace ATAPI.SYS. The Windows 2003 Version did not work. The UNIATA replacement does work.

I was able to get past 2TiB with UNIATA using ASPI Commands but still did not see >2TiB through the \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE# Interface.
I did not try your DISK.SYS with UNIATA.

IIRC SCSIPORT.SYS (which UniATA uses) has 2TiB (2 199 023 255 552 bytes) limit if sector size == 512 bytes.