Hang on Shutdown

jholt5638

I just installed XP64 and it works great except that it hangs on shutdown. It stops at the blue screen and I still have a pointer. Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing at that point. It's almost like in 9x when system doesn't support soft power off and get it is safe to turn off your computer.   If I force off at that point there are no problems on the next boot. I checked the event log and found nothing related

On 2/11/2017 at 2:17 PM, jholt5638 said:

It stops at the blue screen and I still have a pointer.

The "Blue screen" I think we should not use this term to describe the background color seen during boot or shutdown. An old co-worker referred to this as "The Azure Screen of Indifference" in Windows 2000.

• 4 months later...
On February 13, 2017 at 7:18 AM, Tripredacus said:

"The Azure Screen of Indifference"

That's excellent!

Upon occasion, macOS X (yes, even Macs can crash!) will do something similar, where it will hang at a solid blue screen with nothing but a cursor in the top left corner. No amount of clicking and typing will do anything. Going off this, I think I'll call it "The Aqua Screen of Despair."

That has a nice ring to it, don't you think? :)

c

Sure! I don't think I've ever seen it. I still have more time on OS 7-9 than OS X.

On MacOS, I prefer 9 and older type errors of Bombs, question marks and sad faces.

And also whatever that error situation is that would lead to the Mac to make duck quack sounds.