Making Win98SE work

Janne

By the way ... I did change LH to INSTALLHIGH in config.sys, but I still get "unrecognized command" when starting in the DOS mode...

I only now discovered that I has mistyped INSTALLHIGH. After correction, I get another message when starting in DOS:
"Device Driver not found : '123'. No valid CDROM driver selected."

The valid load commands for config.sys are DEVICE and DEVICEHIGH for device drivers, and INSTALL for TSR programs.
The valid load command for autoexec.bat are LOADHIGH (LH) and LOADFIX.

Reading a DVD disc only requires a DVD drive. Playing a DVD video requires commercial software (that may come with a system or video card).

Not all apps support the mouse wheel.

Not all CD-ROM drives support DMA access.

Well, a little bit further...
In config.sys, I now entered: DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\oakcdrom.sys /D:123
and REMmed out INSTALLHIGH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:123 but retaining it in aotoexec.bat (with LH ...).
since I have put 2-3 CD drivers in ...EBD, one of the oakcdrom.sys.

Now DOS starts without any error messages. It appears to be OK.
And it does read my DVD with the built-in CD/DVD drive!! But starts slowly and not as fast as with a CD...
Maybe I should experiment with some other drivers.

A very long time ago I had the same problem.

Try to fix it with Wizard New Hardware, let your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat in their current state.

If Windows do not find your dvd-station with New Hardware, you can try rerunning setup from within Windows.  But remember to install Windows in the same directory as before, to save your earlier installation and choose to continue the current installation if asked.

No it all seems to work as I want it, even though FIXED up...
Maybe I could still improve and maybe also find a CD/DVD reader driver that reads DVD faster.But so far I am satisfied.

Thanks to all for advice!

• 5 months later...
On 2/13/2017 at 3:37 AM, Janne said:

U98SESP3 is not an all-or-none SP. It presents a long list of updates, modifications and add-ons from which you can choose the ones you want.

I have been preaching this for a long time. Some people think when you click, it just installs a bunch of my personal tools etc... 99% of the tools/options are MICROSOFT. I tried my best to keep 3rd party apps out, I even removed a bunch. Its only a couple in there, but other than that its all MICROSOFT. I gave people the option to choose what they wanted and some still complained. The Linux community isn't any better. But thank you for noticing, I believe you are the first to point it out. After 6 years, its still going strong and only had a few issues with a handful of users. Its safe to say its stable.