Alternative site to view MS KB articles?

Nomen

No browser I'm using on win98 (FF2, Opera 12.02, Retrozilla 2, Palemoon 3.6.32).  With Netscape 7.2 I get "Error trying to validate certificate from support.microsoft.com using OSSP - malformed request).  On the others, I get a completely blank page.   If I select "no page style" in FF2, I get a set of content links along the left side of the page, extending several pages, but the content of the KB article is not there.  Even when I view source, I don't believe that the KB text is part of the page.  It must be loaded from a script or some other object that is not functional, not even with Opera 12.02.

Is there a trick that will make the KB material visible with any of these browsers, or is there an alternative third-party website that has captured the KB material for a wide range of MS products (notably win-9x/me) and will present them in a viewable way without simply pointing back to MS links?

(I've seen this lack-of-viewability of these KB articles for probably 3 to 5 years now when using these browsers.  Is this an issue for others as well?)

> No. BTW, I do get the blank pages with IE8 on XP SP3, too...
> but FF 51.0.1 displays the KB articles OK, so they're still there.

My point was to ask if the kb articles are visible / readable on any browser that works on win-98.

Does FF 51 run under 98?  If not, what version FF does that will render these kb articles enough to be useful.

5 minutes ago, Nomen said:

Does FF 51 run under 98?  If not, what version FF does that will render these kb articles enough to be useful.

FF 51.0.1 does not run on 9x/ME, AFAIK... and I doubt any of those which do run can do what you ask, when even IE8 cannot. Sorry. :(

Has anyone looked at the html coding on the MS support KB pages to see how those pages are constructed such that they are (presumably by design) limiting access to only the most recent browsers?

How strict are the browsers you are using? I recall old versions of IE (and others) were more strict on HTML than newer ones are. For example, I went to one KB page and found that there is an error with the Body tag, specifically: "End tag for body seen, but there were unclosed elements" which would make me believe that on a browser that actually following the rules of HTML that the page would not display or display properly.

The robots.txt mentioned, is that also what is interfering with being able to view a KB page in Google Translate?
Bing Translator won't do it either because it doesn't support secure pages.

On 2/1/2017 at 1:22 PM, dencorso said:

No. MS robots.txt took care of that. :(

I meant the Wayback Machine had numerous versions of each needed page but thrashed them all when MS changed their robots.txt
Look at the robots.txt from MS the Wayback Machine offers you to view, and you'll undestand the extension of the damage they've done.
And if that wasn't enough, they've taken down lots of MS-DOS and Win 9x/ME and older (viz. 3.x, etc) related materials and now one just gets that #$%& smiley (also attached below). In any case, all the KBs relevant for 9x/ME are present in the #3 CD of the April 2004 MSDN Library... the only problem is it's unredistributable, so it cannot be posted here. As for XP, thingss remain there, for the moment, but we'd better find out which edition of the MSDN Library has most or all the KBs related to it and go after it, in case it's one one doesn't own already.

fsckingsmiley.PNG

13 hours ago, dencorso said:

In any case, all the KBs relevant for 9x/ME are present in the #3 CD of the April 2004 MSDN Library... the only problem is it's unredistributable, so it cannot be posted here. 

Any more detail?

Maybe it can be found among the ones here:

https://archive.org/details/msdncds?

jaclaz

> #3 CD of the April 2004 MSDN Library

What exactly is printed on that CD?  Or what color is that CD?  I've got so many of those things - just knowing the month and year isin't enough to figure out what CD to look at.

That image is October 2005 :unsure:, so it is "MSDN Subscriptions Library" or possibly "MSDN library subscription".

If you have the actual CD  can you provide an image of it and/or the "code" (like the X11-52519 and X11-29382 in the image you provided a link to)?

April 2004 should be X10-38397 according to:
http://www.um.es/informatica/index.php?recurso=6991

It seems like (for the October 2005 example):

X11-29380 is Disc 1

X11-29381 is Disc 2

X11-29383 is Disc 3

so disc 3 April 2004 should be X10-38399

Are you sure that those KB are "only" in the April 2004 CD?

Or maybe they are periodically re-inserted in other CD's?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

They are inserted in many of these Libraries. But the most complete set I know of is in the April 2004 In the 3 CD editions, the relevant files are always in CD 3. Some of them have been also released in single DVD versions. The KBs are packed in help files with names like "enu_kbwin98x.HxS", which can be directly opened by 7-zip. I have made .ISO images from them for easy reference, which I can use readily, and the actual CDs are stashed in my media archive, which is huge, so I'll have to locate them before I can provide a scan of the label. Will do it ASAP. I do, however, think that is the last time MS distributed enu_kbwin3x.HxS, enu_kbwin95x.HxS and enu_kbwin98x.HxS. But I may well be wrong. enu_kbwinmil.HxS I know for sure is present on later iterations of the Library. I don't know when enu_kbntrelease.HxS (all NT related material up to Windows 2000, inclusive) was last included.