Windows 8 Rebuild Advice

jonah8208

Hi All

I am rebuilding an old Dell flat desktop machine (with some "minor" modifications involving hammers and chainsaws).

I have crammed a new MOBO and CPU, modern Power supply and a couple of HDDs all ready to go.

I was going to put Win7 on it but I thought I would use Windows 8 as I have nothing running Win 8 at the moment and it is usefull to have all possible flavours of Windows to avoid looking like an id*** when a customer brings a version I have not used for years (ie Windows 8) for repair. The PC itself is used in isolation from my network for media recovery / restoration of suspected contaminated or damaged hdds using varied forensic apps and running Virtual Machines, so although it needs to be quick it does not need to be cutting edge, but the old Dell on a pentium 4 and DDR2 was taking days to trawl through a 1TB drive and I could cook eggs on top of it with the heat.

Anyway my question...............

I only have Win8 Upgrade or Windows 8 full with legal keys but both are pre SP1. So before I get to the banging my head on the wall with unforseen show stoppers - can I install the original Windows 8 and activate it or do I have to install Windows 8.1 (which I have an ISO for but no legit key).

Cheers

Jonah

SP1? You mean Windows 8.1 I suppose?

Since it is the first time that you install Windows 8 on this computer I think the legal way is to install your Windows 8 first and then upgrade to Windows 8.1. After that you may be able to make a clean installation of Windows 8.1 with the ISO you have if you want. Of course, if you prefer so, you can just stay with Windows 8.;)

OK Harry Win8 first then update via the MSFT website I suppose.

Yer I liked XP too but my forensic stuff won't run on it, still that's what the VM is for - playing Rome Total War and Civilisation 5/6

:D