Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Jody Thornton

MSE For Vista Now Shows XP Nag Screens

Since no "POSReady-type" spoof is needed, for all purposes, the OS remains 7 (Ultimate x86 or x64 in my machines, BTW). So the question is will MS stop producing signature updates in 2020 (when, say, 7 still shall have about 40% usage share)? I doubt it. It'd be the equivalent of shooting a bazooka on their own foot. They may be raving mad, but not that mad, IMO. YMMV.

On 1/11/2019 at 7:51 AM, dencorso said:

So the question is will MS stop producing signature updates in 2020 (when, say, 7 still shall have about 40% usage share)? I doubt it. It'd be the equivalent of shooting a bazooka on their own foot. They may be raving mad, but not that mad, IMO.

If Microsoft announces a grace period for MSE users on Windows 7, as they once did for Windows XP (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15344/microsoft-antimalware-support-for-windows-xp) but not for Vista, that would of course be useful information to anyone hoping to use MSE 4.4 on Vista or XP for more than one year. Otherwise, I would still assume that MSE definition updates will end on January 14, 2020. Meanwhile, MSE users on the supposedly unsinkable Windows 7 should expect to see the amber warnings that were originally the topic of this thread beginning in October - unless they downgrade to MSE 4.4 to avoid that indignity.

Look: between 7 and 10 MS should have about 80% of the total usage share. Leaving something under 50% of that total on no antivirus, considering they'd be actively endangering the remaining 10 machines, just to try and force a couple more percent to move over to 10 is suicidal, and MS fully knows that. Of course they are bound to announce a grace period once again. They may be raving mad, but not complete fools.