MSE For Vista Now Shows XP Nag Screens

Jody Thornton

2 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

Yeah, I still haven't been able to get mpam-fe64.exe to do anything of late

What do you actually mean by that?

Please download latest 64-bit mpam-fe.exe from the link below:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=121721&arch=x64

and save it in a location you have write access - please note down its actual file version; at the time of this writing, the latest file I can pull down is of v1.321.1115.0 (~ 107MB)

Open then your MSE (x64) app and switch to the "Update" tab; note down the "Virus definition version" displayed (consult the screengrab uploaded by @SIW2 ).

Then launch the previously downloaded mpam-fe.exe file (if you are under a limited User account, it may be necessary to run the file "as administrator"); it performs a SILENT install/update, do not expect a GUI to pop up...
Give it 3 to 4 mins and revisit the "Update" tab of MSE; if the "Virus definition version" displayed now has been raised, compared to its previous value, then ALL IS FINE! You have successfully updated your MSE - repeat the process as needed...

2 hours ago, SIW2 said:

The only post 2017 update installed is kb4474419.

Hmm, before installing KB4474419 you are supposed to install the April 2019 servicing stack update KB4493730 (at least according to Microsoft), and the September 2019 SSU might not be a bad  idea either. I have no idea what effect this might have regarding MSE definition updates however.

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

What do you actually mean by that?

I mean I run the executable and nothing happens. When I try running as admin, I don't get a UAC prompt. No activity in Task Manager. Hours later, MSE console is unchanged, which means nothing happened, either.

Please download latest 64-bit mpam-fe.exe from the link below:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=121721&arch=x64

and save it in a location you have write access - please note down its actual file version; at the time of this writing, the latest file I can pull down is of v1.321.1115.0 (~ 107MB)

Open then your MSE (x64) app and switch to the "Update" tab; note down the "Virus definition version" displayed (consult the screengrab uploaded by @SIW2 ).

I've got 1.321.941.0, while @SIW2 has 1.321.917.0

Definitions created 8/8 7:36am, last updated 2:07pm 8/8

Then launch the previously downloaded mpam-fe.exe file (if you are under a limited User account, it may be necessary to run the file "as administrator"); it performs a SILENT install/update, do not expect a GUI to pop up...
Give it 3 to 4 mins and revisit the "Update" tab of MSE; if the "Virus definition version" displayed now has been raised, compared to its previous value, then ALL IS FINE! You have successfully updated your MSE - repeat the process as needed...

Unfortunately, it seems nothing is happening again, and 10 minutes later, no change in virus definition version...

8 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Hmm, before installing KB4474419 you are supposed to install the April 2019 servicing stack update KB4493730 (at least according to Microsoft), and the September 2019 SSU might not be a bad  idea either. I have no idea what effect this might have regarding MSE definition updates however.

I had 4474419 as well, as well as maybe 100 other updates, since I used Greenhillmaniac's post-EOS pack to get up to date.

Trying to install 4493730 just says "this update is not applicable to your system"

1 hour ago, Dylan Cruz said:

...I used Greenhillmaniac's post-EOS pack to get up to date. Trying to install 4493730 just says "this update is not applicable to your system"

You probably already have it then. (I was actually replying to SIW2.)

2 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

You probably already have it then. (I was actually replying to SIW2.)

I didn't see it in "View list of installed updates" though. That's how I knew I had the other update.

I unblocked the file and tried again but unfortunately that didn't seem to do the trick for me...

22 hours ago, SIW2 said:

At some point, I will go and fetch from the link you posted and see if it will work that way.

10 hours ago, SIW2 said:

Fetched the mpam-fe.exe and ran it . MSE was reluctant to show any changes.
After rt click and unblock, ran mpam-fe.exe again. Couple of mins later, mse picked it up. Seems fine.

... And just to be on the safe side, your previous screenshot from Aug 8th reported definition version 1.321.917.0; can you confirm you are now on a "higher" version after executing downloaded file mpam-fe.exe ?
That would dispel any doubt that the manual update procedure for MSE is a viable way to keep using it under Vista SP2! :D

21 hours ago, Dylan Cruz said:

I don't know what, exactly, but it's possible others with MSE are also having similar issues.
Seems something Vista-related is going on.

12 hours ago, Dylan Cruz said:

I run the executable and nothing happens. When I try running as admin, I don't get a UAC prompt. No activity in Task Manager. Hours later, MSE console is unchanged, which means nothing happened, either.
Unfortunately, it seems nothing is happening again, and 10 minutes later, no change in virus definition version...
I unblocked the file and tried again but unfortunately that didn't seem to do the trick for me...

I am genuinely sorry you can't get this to work, Dylan, but I'm also out of ideas what you should try next... :dubbio:Perhaps a visit to Windows Event Viewer could shed some light on this mystery...
Just one final, probably just silly, question: Where did you get your copy of MSEInstall.exe v4.4.304.0 ? If it was within the context of some WinXP related thread, it's possible they linked the 32-bit variant, which would also install under Vista x64; verify you have MSE 64-bit installed (the 64-bit mpam-fe.exe is not able to update MSE 32-bit, and vice versa...).

Ultimately, only you know how you've configured your Vista SP2 system (I read several times that GPOs were used - not available here in my Home Premium Edition :(), so it's possible something went amiss there...

Best regards :)

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

... And just to be on the safe side, your previous screenshot from Aug 8th reported definition version 1.321.917.0; can you confirm you are now on a "higher" version after executing downloaded file mpam-fe.exe ?
That would dispel any doubt that the manual update procedure for MSE is a viable way to keep using it under Vista SP2! :D

I am genuinely sorry you can't get this to work, Dylan, but I'm also out of ideas what you should try next... :dubbio:Perhaps a visit to Windows Event Viewer could shed some light on this mystery...
Just one final, probably just silly, question: Where did you get your copy of MSEInstall.exe v4.4.304.0 ? If it was within the context of some WinXP related thread, it's possible they linked the 32-bit variant, which would also install under Vista x64; verify you have MSE 64-bit installed (the 64-bit mpam-fe.exe is not able to update MSE 32-bit, and vice versa...).

Aha! I think that is it! I am pretty sure I probably just reused the same installer because I read that 4.4.304 was the way to go on Vista as well. No wonder the 64-bit definitions aren't working.

I should probably install the 64-bit version of 4.4.304.

How do I confirm which version I have? It doesn't say in "Help -> About" as I would assume:

Antimalware Client Version: 4.4.304.0
Engine Version: 1.1.17300.4
Antivirus definition: 1.321.941.0
Antispyware definition: 1.321.941.0
Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.1.14600.4
Network Inspection System Definition Version: 119.0.0.0

Odd thing is MSE is in Program Files, not Program Files (x86), so one would think this IS the 64-bit version...

I downloaded the 64-bit version again from page 2 of this thread and the bit sizes match exactly, so I think that pretty much confirms I have the 64-bit version... it would have made much more sense if I had the 32-bit version!

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

Ultimately, only you know how you've configured your Vista SP2 system (I read several times that GPOs were used - not available here in my Home Premium Edition :(), so it's possible something went amiss there...

I do use GPOs but I don't think I have any that have done anything to MSE or Defender.

Why not use Vista Ultimate? You get the Ultimate Extras, too :)

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

And just to be on the safe side, your previous screenshot from Aug 8th reported definition version 1.321.917.0; can you confirm you are now on a "higher" version after executing downloaded file mpam-fe.exe ?

Yes.

updated-mse-11-08-2020.JPG

Edited by SIW2

1 minute ago, VistaLover said:

This is most excellent news @SIW2 , thanks for the confirmation! :thumbup

If only we could untangle @Dylan Cruz 's predicament... :dubbio:

OK, finally, something!

I unblocked the file AND ran as admin, nothing.

I copied to the desktop, then right-clicked to run as admin and FINALLY I got a UAC prompt!

And now there's activity in Task Manager, crossing my fingers that something's going on...

1 minute ago, SIW2 said:

Where was it before you moved it to desktop?

I was just running it directly from the network drive.

Thing is, I had tried copying it to the desktop before to see if that would do it and it didn't work those times. Somehow, everything must've lined up just right this time.

12 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

OK, finally, something!

I unblocked the file AND ran as admin, nothing.

I copied to the desktop, then right-clicked to run as admin and FINALLY I got a UAC prompt!

And now there's activity in Task Manager, crossing my fingers that something's going on...

OK, seems it shows up in Task Mgr for a few seconds then exits again. Version hasn't changed, and I can confirm this is a higher version in the executable details, so this is weird. It's like MSE is checking the file and deciding to ignore it...

On 8/10/2020 at 5:22 PM, Dylan Cruz said:

What's weird is Vista 64-bit definitions are now called mpas-fe.exe... typo on Microsoft's part?? It's also only half the size of the previous mpam-fe64 that I had.

Of course VistaLover has already explained that; but I wonder if you have somehow managed to turn Windows Defender back on after installing MSE (which isn’t recommended). Maybe go to Control Panel > Security Center and expand Malware protection. If you see anything fishy, maybe post screenshot.