Win 7 - Renaming Folder "Item not found" when just create. Mess after October updates\rollups

Ninja_Gundam

In most cases, I see this message due to a delay in explorer. Such as if I were to create a folder called "New Folder" then rename it and save a file into it, Explorer will sometimes give me an error of "can't find new folder" even though the folder has been renamed and I chose that name to save into. So there is this to remember, whatever it is causes this situation, can have some possible relation to other issues.

First need to know where this folder is that is having the problem. There are these types of locations:
- Root of C
- In protected location (Program Files, Windows, System32, etc)
- In a profile (any public folder in C:\Users\account such as Desktop, Documents, etc)
- On removable media
- Network location
- Other physical non-removable disk.

For testing, we would want to have this on a hard drive, not in a profile, root or protected location to start. And then see if Explorer can rename it or not. It would be good to know if Explorer has this problem with folders in certain places and not others.

If Explorer cannot rename the folder (for each location tested) you also want to try to do a rename with the command prompt.

Thx at least someone answered me :) And nice ideas for testing.

I've tried those things too, just to be sure, killed and relaunched explorer.exe now , trying on a network nas.. create the folder..waited 10 sec.. tryed to rename and same error on 1st time.

On command prompt there isn't that issue, i can rename just after create a folder.

I've already tried with another clean profile user, and if i recall even in safe mode.

Ok rechecked with a clean profile and safe mode do not work.

removed also teracopy but not culprit, adobe not too.

Just to.....

i've done sfc /scannow, but just to try, if explorer.exe someway corrupted, can anyone attach a explorer.exe from a win7 64 bit?   Latest one , after december 2016 updates for example ?

I am trying with DirectoryOpus and i can create folder and rename them .. so only in explorer that problem occours...

hope in any new idea,

thx

Edited by Ninja_Gundam
updates

I have found that kb 958559 causes this behavior on Win-7 SP1 Ultimate 32-bit:

- not showing (not having) any Libraries

- not being able to create new libraries, and

- giving an "Item not found" message when creating new folders or renaming existing ones.

I don't have that one installed and i can't install  :

Windows Virtual PC plus XP Mode - Windows6.1-KB958559-x86-RefreshPkg.msu.

I have uninstalled all the kb manually after August, just some won't go :(

One is for fix windows updates.... other is for silverlight.

2.jpg

Is there a way to reforce the install of october rollup and see if fix all ? Or better.. a list of all the KB that comulative thing putted in win 7 ? :|

1.jpg

Ok found a list of all KB here : List

And now the funniest part, lately windows update was not working (always searching) and now :

1.jpg

But i have fear to install again some kb.. i always read description before apply, but bugs are never told before ^^

Edited by Ninja_Gundam
updates

About 6 months ago I was working with RT7 Lite to incorporate all known KB updates into a base-level Win-7 Ultimate SP1 32-bit CD image.  At one point I had about 550 KB's rolled into the image (far more than what would be offered by MS during WU update sessions at the time).  When I began using finished/installed OS on a test system, I was seeing the above behavior (getting stupid message when renaming or creating new folders, and the issue with Libraries).  So I began to back-track and created new installation images with fewer and fewer KB's rolled in until I finally narrowed it down to 958559.  Just that one single KB, when rolled into a virgin Win-7 SP1 Ultimate 32-bit CD image, caused these issues.

Open a command prompt (as administrator just to make sure this works) and enter this:

wmic qfe list full /format:texttablewsys > "C:\hotfix.txt"

This will dump a list of all kb's, updates, hotpatches and fixes to the file c:\hotfit.txt.  You can change the path and file-name to somewhere else if you want - just make sure you can find the file.  Upload the file here as an attachment.  I'll compare your KB list to my own lists and see if I can spot any differences.

The Win-7 SP1 32-bit image that I created that had the largest number of KB's rolled in had 577 KB's. So for now I am comparing that list of 577 to your list. Your list has 456 KB's.

Given that, it's somewhat surprising that there are only 167 KB's that are in common to both lists.

There are 410 kb's in my list that are not in yours.
There are 289 kb's in your list that are not in mine.

My list of 577 includes 3125574 (the convienence roll-up). Your list does not - but I'm not sure the wmic command will show it.

I also do not have any kb updates higher than 3173040 (which is approx. August 2016). You have 9 KB's higher than that, which probably became available since Sept. 2016.

I have a separate list of 96 "bad" kb's that I will not install for one reason or another. You have 23 KB's that are on that list. Here they are:

976932 2505438 2506928 2545698 2592687 2660075
2670838 2726535 2840149 2882822 2923545 2970228
2994023 2999226 3078667 3086255 3092627 3093983
3102429 3107998 3118401 3124280 3167679

One more thing. What I consider to be my "standard" Win-7 install image was built using 279 KB's (not 577). It does not include any "bad" kb's. It is up-to-date as of Sept 1, 2016. I don't think there have been many new updates / fixes since then. Maybe a dozen.

Your installation of 410 kb's seems high. I don't think you would have such a high number if you performed a new install today and accepted most "Important" and *some* optional KB's that Windows Update would offer you.

Lol, thx for hard work, maybe different languages, x64 or others software like silverlight,.net,vb,sql ecc. btw i will try to remove all the kb marked as u as bad as see what happen.

I will continue this evening, thx really again, if it works, I hope this will help others too coz microsoft is silent and not all like win 8,8.1 or 10 -_-,

KB976932 is the fisrt SP1 :o d*** i didn't check before and now uninstalling taking so much time; why u mark it as bad? :o

Anyway i didn't installed so many telemetry\diagnostic stealing info KB.. so maybe is it the difference in ours numbers of kb.

I uninstalled all except :  2726535     2999226     3118401  no found particular bad things.

And now i have IE9 :(( lol.. btw, same situation, i even removed silverlight.

Maybe not fixing with just the uninstalling of things.. but if not in registry,where can be the problem if all works except  just renaming folders ? :|

Done even sfc /scannow after all of this, same boat :(

Edited by Ninja_Gundam
update

there are many defected updates
1 year ago when I did custom install for both x86 and x64, had to trace back
alot of them, some are well listed and documented on MDL, and such have to be avoided at all cost

and this is where research always come in handy BEFORE you slipstream things or do blindly auto update
if sfc repair didn't fix it, then you're out of luck :P

6 hours ago, vinifera said:

there are many defected updates
1 year ago when I did custom install for both x86 and x64, had to trace back
alot of them, some are well listed and documented on MDL, and such have to be avoided at all cost

and this is where research always come in handy BEFORE you slipstream things or do blindly auto update
if sfc repair didn't fix it, then you're out of luck :P

I know that.. i always read ms bullettin etc. but just this time it's happened this mess. Now i have few alternative, or try to refresh win7 with a dvd... but im sure will be a war of time to refix all installation (i have around 400 sw etc.) , go to win 10upgrade (but i will lose many compatibilities ecc.), try to put all windows update again, or wait here a solution..