AVG pushes free update within 48 hours, with no option to say "no"

The title of "After being phagocytated by Avira, AVG goes the malware way of Win 10." is wrong and extremely misleading, correcting it.

Avast bought AVG, not Avira.

You also did not post what version of AVG you're using, or which is giving this alert. You really should provide more information as there are key details that were omitted.

There may be a good reason for it. Such as how AVG Free 7.1 is discontinued.

• Tarun unpinned this topic

Yes, you're right, they've been phagocytated phagocytized by Avast, not by Avira. Not that it really matters because whatever remains of them is speeding down the end of Avast's digestive tube right now...
I have paid-for AVG 2011 (five licences some good to June others to July 2017). I've used my back-ups, where needed, so I'm back with AVG 2011.
They're still providing updated virus definitions daily, despite having suddenly given EoS notice on all older versions of AVG, which AVG traditionally made a point of keeping supported. But that's understandable. Their new owner just wants to close down shop and fire everybody. One less competitor. Life's like that.
However, none of that matters. I've paid to use it up to the middle of 2017, and I want to do it, even if they eventually stop providing virus definitions updates before that, but I want to keep running AVG 2011, not the latter versions, and I'm within my rights: that's what I bought.
Have you perchance noticed that crappy nag notice has not any "No, thank you!" button (nor any other clear way of saying "No")? That's why I say they've gone the malware way, just like Microsoft. Up to now, by clicking on the upper right "X" it does go away, but MS has already taught us all that's not always necessarily so.
You're being misleading by pretending such a crappy nag is normal and OK, when you should know better, which I know you do.

What are you trying to say with "phagocytated", it's not a word. Do you mean phagocytize?

AVG hasn't been high on my list of quality anti-virus applications for a lot time. There've been too many issues with them causing problems for Windows users which include completely wiping out system32, user32.dll, and other problems. Tracking and selling user history is a big no no.

AVG is also known for having a lot of problems with Windows, it's happened for many years:

And let's not forget...

Saying something is updating and being forced is not like "malware". Though, with that classification it seems you'd call game patches pushed via Steam or any other content distribution "malware".

Perhaps you need to be refreshed on the definition of malware?

Malware - noun - software that is intended to damage or disable computers and computer systems.

Just because you don't like their methods doesn't mean it's malicious. This also doesn't need to be a pinned topic as there's no reason for it to be; this subforum isn't very active and even without being pinned it's near the very top. You need to think of the average user who will see this and get scared rather easily. Fear-mongering is never a good thing. So please try to remember that this is not malware-like in any way. It's a method of updating that you do not agree with.

I don't agree with how AVG is doing this form of updates. Yes, I understand the importance of updating to the latest version, they may also have good reason behind this. Perhaps the version you're on won't get definition updates any longer because they've changed how their definitions are delivered since Avast now owns them. It's hard to say exactly why they're pushing it in this way though it would be better to look into it.

Maybe you should look into getting a refund for the licenses you purchased and state your reason as to why you're dissatisfied. A support ticket may be of further assistance.

If you're that dissatisfied with how AVG is pushing an important update then do like this user did. Uninstall it, switch products, don't look back. Avira or Sophos are both said to be really good.

36 minutes ago, Tarun said:

What are you trying to say with "phagocytated", it's not a word. Do you mean phagocytize?

Well, maybe it should be "phagocytized", but I didn't have a dictionary at hand nor thought about looking at one, I just back-translated from Portuguese.

Well, in case the new version breaks about 33% of internet banking interfaces, would you consider it malware?
Consider, moreover, that AVG is second only to MSE in popularity, in Brazil.

17 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Well, in case the new version breaks about 33% of internet banking interfaces, would you consider it malware?

They should have more consideration for one of their biggest markets, though.
As for keeping on AVG 2011, I'll do it until I find it untenable, because I know how to handle it already.
Then I may move over to Malwarebytes or some other option. Last time I got a virus in one of the machines I care for it was the Jerusalem virus, back in 1989. No viruses and no reinstalls at all, since then.

BTW, I know nothing about how games update. I like playing real cardboard playing cards, but find computer games no fun.

41 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Ah, you made an edit to add this in.

Short answer, no. The reason? It their update broke those things, you have to realize it's not intentional. Whereas malware intentionally harms computers.

27 minutes ago, dencorso said:

They should have more consideration for one of their biggest markets, though.
As for keeping on AVG 2011, I'll do it until I find it untenable, because I know how to handle it already.
Then I may move over to Malwarebytes or some other option. Last time I got a virus in one of the machines I care for it was the Jerusalem virus, back in 1989. No viruses and no reinstalls at all, since then.

BTW, I know nothing about how games update. I like playing real cardboard playing cards, but find computer games no fun.

I have Malwarebytes on another machine in my home. Though on my primary I only use a firewall - Agnitum Outpost Pro - which sadly is no longer offered. They were acquired by Yandex and there's only time until the end of the month to convert your license to a Kaspersky license.

Most games now push updates/patches. Some you can opt out of, though in doing so it can limit what you can do. An example of this is not being able to play online with others. Client - server compatibility and all of that.

With so little testing before pushout like thay did, that amounts to harm through careless indifference.
And careless indifference is akin to malice, although not the same thing.
So, now you're going into teleologic nitpicking? :D