Janus x64/Windows 2000 x64

burd

13 hours ago, jaclaz said:

I know, but it's not like we  know for certain if that thing ever existed at all.

jaclaz

many sources claim it was there,even wikipedia,it wasnt released though sadly

13 minutes ago, burd said:

many sources claim it was there,even wikipedia,it wasnt released though sadly

"Existed" doesn't mean "released".

For all we know it may have existed (or it may not) as x64 or as ia-64.

All we know for sure is that at a certain time the good MS guys were working on it, and the little news we have are about Itanium version, but we don't know if a Intel x64 was under development.

https://www.csee.umbc.edu/portal/help/architecture/idfwin64lab.pdf

In any case today it would be largely pointless.

jaclaz

13 hours ago, jaclaz said:

"Existed" doesn't mean "released".

For all we know it may have existed (or it may not) as x64 or as ia-64.

All we know for sure is that at a certain time the good MS guys were working on it, and the little news we have are about Itanium version, but we don't know if a Intel x64 was under development.

https://www.csee.umbc.edu/portal/help/architecture/idfwin64lab.pdf

In any case today it would be largely pointless.

jaclaz

17 hours ago, burd said:

Yes I agree. But i Was just inquisitive is all,so asking

12 hours ago, JodyT said:

I thought the AMD x64 standard that we use now wasn't being engineered until the early 2000s.

Well, not really.

It was exactly overlapping the development of Windows 2000 and XP, the full specification was released in August 2000, but was pre-announced (to the public) in October 1999.

Windows 2000 was released end of 1999/beginning of 2000.

Windows XP was released October 2001. (and is/was IMHO nothing but a renamed Windows 2000 with a few bells and whistles attached to it).

The Windows XP Professional x64 Edition came much later (and is/was definitely nothing but a renamed Server 2003 with a few bells and whistles attached to it).

BUT in the meantime (end of 2001/beginning of 2002) there was a Windows XP 64 bit Edition (which was for Itanium, i.e. IA64), most probably that one is the Windows 2000 "Janus" 64 but with some bells and whistles attached).

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457053.aspx

What we don't know is if the good MS guys completely ignored the 1999/2000 AMD news or if they made a parallel "Janus" for x64, that later became the Server 2003 x64 and the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

jaclaz

23 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Well, not really.

It was exactly overlapping the development of Windows 2000 and XP, the full specification was released in August 2000, but was pre-announced (to the public) in October 1999.

Windows XP was released October 2001. (and is/was IMHO nothing but a renamed Windows 2000 with a few bells and whistles attached to it).

The Windows XP Professional x64 Edition came much later (and is/was definitely nothing but a renamed Server 2003 with a few bells and whistles attached to it).

BUT in the meantime (end of 2001/beginning of 2002) there was a Windows XP 64 bit Edition (which was for Itanium, i.e. IA64), most probably that one is the Windows 2000 "Janus" 64 but with some bells and whistles attached).

What we don't know is if the good MS guys completely ignored the 1999/2000 AMD news or if they made a parallel "Janus" for x64, that later became the Server 2003 x64 and the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

jaclaz

Yeppers, I was aware of the IA64 builds of both XP and there was a released Windows 2000 Server for the IA64 architecture.

I will agree, that Windows XP was just Windows 2000, save for new icons (I actually liked 2000's better), the firewall, visual styles and a few other things.  Similarly, x64 was just a reworked Windows Server 2003.  I love that OS though.

:)

On сабота, 07 јануари 2017 at 2:42 PM, jaclaz said:

Well, not really.

jaclaz

Well, when you put it this way, one might think that Microsoft is in the business of selling bells and whistles :w00t:. And I agree fully with that.

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi
d*mn editor