Interference from Windows Defender

Sophy

Frequently, I'm getting notification after startup that both Windows Defender and Emsisoft Anti-Malware show that they are turned off and my computer is at risk. It happened again this morning and in trying to check things out my computer froze up and I couldn't do anything. So I left it and came back to it and everything was fine at that point. Emsisoft was running and everything back to normal. But somehow this Windows Defender is causing problems. I can't be the only one with this problem so thought I'd check and see if there is a solution.

I don't know. I have Defender turned off. I don't want it to run at all. Now the past couple of days I have received no pop ups. It will go that way -- be fine for awhile and then start interfering again. If I could I would uninstall it, but I read somewhere that even tho you turn it off, it isn't completely turned off.

If you really want to turn off Windows Defender permenantly

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/10/25/how-to-disable-windows-defender-in-windows-10-permanently/

3 methods there all will do the trick

Only problem with this apart from the obvious downgrade in overall security is that Windows Updates may reset the registry and turn on Defender again without your consent due to the all or nothing updates policy.

hth

2 hours ago, jonah8208 said:

Sent from my i-Mac .................
Without drama - without crashing - without random stuff hogging all the CPU cycles - without having to fix 20 minor problems first!

Just want to say; really like your signature! :thumbup

3 hours ago, jonah8208 said:

If you really want to turn off Windows Defender permenantly

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/10/25/how-to-disable-windows-defender-in-windows-10-permanently/

3 methods there all will do the trick

Only problem with this apart from the obvious downgrade in overall security is that Windows Updates may reset the registry and turn on Defender again without your consent due to the all or nothing updates policy.

hth

Thanks for this information. Rather than deal with the possibility of these new problems concerning Update, I guess I will just continue to deal with what I presently have. 

• 6 months later...

Whenever you install a third party antivirus or antispyware provider, you need to allow it permanent access to the firewall on both public and private networks.

Do not ignore that dialog you saw.

Click your third party AV-AS and click "Turn On", and you'll see what I mentioned above.

You shouldn't be asked again, unless you update your build of Windows.

Is this what you saw? But with your provider?

To access that dialog follow the steps shown. I'm using classic shell but Cortana will pull the same results.

If you really can't find what you see, use the All Tasks Shortcut for Control Panel:

Right click > New shortcut and paste blue text below:

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

You should type action c and you'll see the result you want.

avselector.png

actionstokeep.jpg

actioncenter.png