Simple XP 32BIT 64Gb RAM (true Pae) Guide

liquidLD

Okay, but if i install Windows XP Professional with Dibya's patch using nLite i can't access my OS. this error happens after the blue setup screen completes, so how am i going to get my boot.ini or view it?

No i'm not going to Install Windows XP x64 edition. And it may be my only solution to get Full 4 GB of ram on 32-bit windows xp.

3 hours ago, Just_AHD said:

Okay, but if i install Windows XP Professional with Dibya's patch using nLite i can't access my OS. this error happens after the blue setup screen completes, so how am i going to get my boot.ini or view it?

Offhand, I'd suggest getting a command prompt using your XP installation disc and accessing boot.ini from there. You could also either plug the disk drive into another computer so you could access it, or boot into another OS off a DVD or USB drive, (either a version of Linux or one of the various "rescue" OS that are available), which is the same idea as using the XP installation disc.  Or, you might be able to repair your boot.ini file -- this might help -- which also uses the XP installation disc.

Cheers and Regards

14 hours ago, bphlpt said:

Offhand, I'd suggest getting a command prompt using your XP installation disc and accessing boot.ini from there. You could also either plug the disk drive into another computer so you could access it, or boot into another OS off a DVD or USB drive, (either a version of Linux or one of the various "rescue" OS that are available), which is the same idea as using the XP installation disc.  Or, you might be able to repair your boot.ini file -- this might help -- which also uses the XP installation disc.

Cheers and Regards

Okay, i just want to access my boot.ini and view it and i need a file explorer to boot from a usb, i tried rebuilding it on XP installation disc, but doesn't help, i set the OS name to Windows XP Professional and OS Load options : /fastdetect, even though i'm not a computer professional i'm a noob :(

( one last thing how can i view my boot.ini without using any tool but the XP recovery console or maybe i need a file explorer to boot from usb )

I'm probably not the best guy to instruct a beginner how to install XP x86 in a non-standard location using a patch to access more than the standard amount of memory - it's been too many years.  But I can ask some basic questions about how and why you find yourself in this situation. @jaclaz and @dencorso both tried to get you to provide more information, which you declined to do, so I'll spell out some specific questions.   You need to answer ALL questions asked so that whoever does help you has the information they need.

It seems that XP is not your only OS, (apparently Win 7 x64 as well?), and you said earlier that you installed XP on D: so:

1) Mainly out of curiosity, but it might help - Why do you want to use XP x86, and why don't you want to use XP x64? Nothing wrong with either OS, but if we understood your motivations we might be able to better explain your options.
2) Are you trying to end up with XP x86 as the only OS on this computer, or are you wanting to dual boot between XP x86 and another OS, and if so, which OS?
3) Explain your overall system setup, ie Is this a laptop or desktop? Are C:, D:, etc separate drives or partitions or what?
4) Explain what is currently on C:, D:, and any other drive in your system.
5) Explain what you want to end up with on C:, D:, and any other drive in your system.
6) Explain how, EXACTLY, you attempted to install XP x86.

Once we have the answers to the above, then we should have enough information to begin to help you.  Good luck!

Cheers and Regards

PS - in a normal installation where XP x86 is the only OS installed on a system with only a single drive, boot.ini is a hidden system file on the root of the drive, ie C:\boot.ini.  The answers to the above questions might help clarify whether it should still be there or in a different location.

First of all, Malware Bytes Anti-Malware is not supported with XP x64, Second I want 4 GB on Home Edition version of XP since there's no Home x64 for XP, Windows 7 is my main OS and it's installed on C: Drive And XP is installed on D: Drive all of them are partitions, I'm using a laptop, Asus F83Vf, I downloaded and installed nLite and i downloaded Dibya's 128 GB Patch and intergated it on nLite on a Professional version of XP and i created a third partition G: to Install Professional and i don't want to remove Home Edition because i want to know how to use 4 GB on XP 32-bit so i want to test on Professional first, I want to end up with D: drive with XP x86 installed with 4 GB patch without any problems, My system supports XP. And yes i've got a other laptop which is Toshiba Satellite Pro S300-EZ1511 but with 1 GB of ram, I'm dualbooting Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and XP Home x86.

My Laptop Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53GHz ( 2 cores )

4 GB RAM DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 220M 1 GB VRAM DDR2 Dedicated Graphics Card

3 hours ago, Just_AHD said:

My Laptop Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53GHz ( 2 cores )

4 GB RAM DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 220M 1 GB VRAM DDR2 Dedicated Graphics Card

It seems a bit pointless to me to install PAE with only 4GB of RAM, If you had more RAM it'd make sense.

9 hours ago, Just_AHD said:

still need 4.00 gb because it's showing me 3.00 gb of ram

Which likely has nothing to do with PAE but rather with the specific mapping of RAM done by the BIOS, devices and drivers.

See:

AND provided links.

jaclaz

13 hours ago, Just_AHD said:

Ok this link and the links inside it are just learning why 4 gb limit on 32 bit, nothing useful to fix my problem

Ok :), I'll try again.

There are two distinct problems.

One is accessing RAM beyond the 32 bit limit (4 Gb) and another one is accessing all memory within that limit.

What was the difficult part in:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/130001-32bit-windows-not-usingseeing-all-4gb-ram/

Now it's been stickied, so if you ask these types of questions going forward, you will simply be pointed to the contents of this thread. These are not necessarily Windows problems, these designs and limitations are an outcome of the design and architectural limitations of the 32bit architecture - especially the second issue, where the BIOS reserves memory for hot-add/hot-swap memory, PCI-X/PCI-E buses, and (if it applies) your 256MB or 512MB video card reserve memory resources for their usage, causing the discrepancy in reporting of installed memory vs *available* memory to the OS.

More specifically read this (it is the first link among those listed in point  2.):

http://www.msfn.org/board/WindowsXP-Pro-won-t-recognize-4GB-of-mem-t92568.html

that you won't be able to access unless you use my little address translator or translate manually to:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=92568

which will land you here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/92568-windowsxp-pro-wont-recognize-4gb-of-memory/

Now, the first one may (or may not, given the instability of the patch on some hardware) be solved by enabling PAE, the second may (or may not) be solvable by changing (if available) some settings in the BIOS (or using a modded BIOS if available), in any case you won't ever see all 4 Gb if all the RAM you have is 4 Gb, values actually available range from 3 Gb (or even below in some "edge" cases) up to 3.75 Gb (most motherboards with normal settings/peripherals will have 3.25 or 3.50 Gb available).

jaclaz

Here's what i did after installing 64 GB ram patch:

Also after doing these Found 2 boot options : Windows XP 64G and Windows XP Home Edition so i choose XP 64G and ntoskrnl.exe error appears but on second option it doesn't do that just normal XP.

• 1 month later...

Did some testing on X99 (X99 Gaming 5P board) + Xeon 5960X and 16 GB + Geforce 750Ti.

I cloned installation from Z97 board, it booted fine with PAE patch, until i have installed these:
- Intel INF drivers - usually just faked inf null drivers
- Intel USB2 drivers
- nvidia 368 - last XP drivers for Geforce 750TI
- Creative Sound blaster recon3D driver

After installation, i have my typical boot bluescreen with PAge fault in non segmented area.

Without PAE is still booting fine.