Windows Vista SP1/SP2 UEFI

burd

Hi,Ive Been Pulling my hair regarding this issue and checked many places in order to get vista to boot up in uefi but it just wouldnt,ive used a program called rufus to make it into gpt format style it boots up but i get an error 0xc000001.
I dont know what to do anymore,can anyone help me regarding this please?

UEFI booting of Vista is simply not supported, let alone on GPT.

You can most probably (but it has to be seen) boot Vista in BIOS (or CSM) on GPT, using a number of tricks.

If your computer is UEFI only with no CSM support you simply cannot boot Vista from it, unless *somehow* one of the later (8/8.1/10) .EFI bootloaders are (or can be made) compatible with Vista.

jaclaz

15 minutes ago, burd said:

According to this article: 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824898.aspx

Windows Vista SP1+ and 7 support UEFI: 

"on Class 2 systems running in legacy BIOS-compatibility mode by using a CSM, so they can use the legacy BIOS INT10 features."

"Are not supported on Class 3 systems, because these operating systems assume the presence of legacy BIOS INT10 support in the firmware, which is not available in a Class-3 UEFI implementation."

Assuming your system is Class 2, you'll need to enable legacy support in the BIOS before being able to boot, from what I can tell. Vista initially didn't support UEFI, but as the article states, Vista SP1 does, but your system must meet the criteria laid out in the article. 

I have csm with uefi but i still get errors as mentioned above,also ive done a vista uefi before on my old laptop,but its not launching the installation screen also on this machine and i still get the error

0xc0000001

Edited by burd

Well, you either have CSM (please read as BIOS) or you don't have it.

If you use CSM/BIOS you need a MBR style disk, GPT booting support is NOT available in Vista (as said there may be complex workarounds that allow BIOS booting from GPT style disks, but they would need some specific reason to take the effort).

Try spending a few words describing:
1) the machine in question (EXACT make/model and possibly the BIOS or UEFI, let's call it "firmware" version).
2) How (EXACTLY) is the disk partitioned
3) How (EXACTLY) you are trying to install the Vista (like from CD, from USB, which program you used to modify the source -if any - which program you are using to assist you in the install -if any - etc.)

Right now the "best" (IMHO) approach is JFX's WinNTSetup:

but BEFORE attempting using it, it is better if we can assist you in making a "plain" install, as your particular case could be aN "edge one" for which the above program has not been tested against.

jaclaz

Yes Correct,

Machine:MSI GT72VR 6RD
UEFI:1.1 or 1.X it shows when checked
Partitioning:GPT Format(Windows 10 is preinstalled so)
Installation Type:USB Drive using Rufus to make it boot under uefi

Problem is Vista Setup Wont Boot Giving Error on UEFI or UEFI+CSM

Windows Vista does support GPT: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535(v=vs.85).aspx#gpt_faq_win7_boot

"Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems"

The problem here is that your system may not support UEFI booting of Windows Vista or 7, which is required in order to use GPT. It looks to me like you're going to need to use Windows 8 or later in order to be able to boot in UEFI/GPT mode, from what information I can gather. Can't hurt to try Windows 7, but I wouldn't bet on it working. 

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

You most probably need to disable Secure Boot on your UEFI settings. That thing blocks 7 and Vista from booting both in MBR and UEFI/GPT mode.

EDIT: Also, to make Vista not BSOD after installing in UEFI mode, in the partition part of the setup, press SHIFT+F10 to open CMD, and run DISKPART, with these commands:

-select disk 0 (your HDD)
-clean
-convert GPT

Edited by greenhillmaniac

1 minute ago, greenhillmaniac said:

You most probably need to disable Secure Boot on your UEFI settings. That thing blocks 7 and Vista from booting both in MBR and UEFI/GPT mode.

I completely forgot about that- yes, secure boot is more than likely at fault for all of this. 

you guys arent getting the point, I put my usb and get the message "windows is loading files" and after it completes i get the error so the installer doesnt start/boot and secure boot is already disabled

ive gotten errors
0xc0000001
0xc0000359

I tried a windows 7 iso with csm and it worked,but i dont know whats the problem with vista

I tried another iso of vista sp2,it launches on normal uefi showing "windows is loading files" and then hangs infinitely and with csm it loads up with a cursor and then hangs infinitely.

Edited by burd

Those are two different errors, though both are related to Winload failing to find the right files or due to a misconfiguration of the BCD, maybe I am starting to understand :dubbio:, so the issue is not (as I had understood initially :blushing:, my bad) that you installed the Vista and that it doesn't boot, it is the install media that doesn't boot properly, right? :unsure:).

If this is the case, it is possible that *something* in your Rufus based USB stick is causing the issue (maybe you are using the Rufus NTFS EFI driver?), you can try using WinntSetup after having booted a PE from a "normal" stick or - since the Windows 7 install boots, use its setup  PE to run WinntSetup.

The generic idea behind it is simple, it derives from this:

http://reboot.pro/topic/10126-nt-6x-fast-installer-install-win7-directly-to-usb-external-drive/

the idea is to deploy the install.wim and then create a proper BCD.

Even if Vista (x64 and in UEFI mode) is probably the "less tested" OS with WinntSetup, it should work fine with it.

Particularly on laptops, finding the "right" mode to boot is usually a nightmare, if your source is already SP1/2 you need to boot in UEFI mode, see if this helps (your firmwaer settings should be similar):
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01717787.pdf

jaclaz

I tried NTFS AND Fat32 Both Worked in the Same Fashion,attempting 6x setup currently

Tried using 6x fast installer and nothing happened after installation(rebooting)

Edited by burd

I don't think I have ever attempted to boot Vista on GPT before, but I am wary of what those links say. Specifically, I would trust less UEFI 2.3.1 for Vista than 2.0, however UEFI 2.0 usually does not work for desktop OSes in my experience anyways. It is tricky because I have only ever seen UEFI 2.0 on server boards and some (Super Micro) workstation boards, and UEFI 2.3.1 is the typical one to find on desktop and and SoC boards.

Another issue I see if that modern UEFI 2.3.1 systems, say Intel 8x series chipset and newer, the WinPE is a problem. WinPE2-4 booting in EFI mode can have real problems, which were only fixed in WinPE5 or WinPE10. Random things, like lock-ups, BSOD, black screen/BCD errors, resources not loading properly, software going very slow, all symptoms of booting old PE on modern UEFI. Even happens on stock builds from the OPK/AIK.