Really weird problem on windows 95

Nic9x

Its happening on a pentium mmx 233 with just about 2 megs of memory and a 20 gig hard drive

i have a feelling its when installing internet explore 5 and its needed package's for that the memory problem drops onto your computer, isnt it?

or it could be directx?

It's simply not possible to run Windows 95 with 2 Mb of RAM (maybe it is possible, but it won't actually run, maybe "crawl").

The minimum hardware required (the one that you have to double to have actually working system and quadruple to have an actually running one) is 4 Mb, you actually need at the very least 8 and - more realistically - 16 Mb (and this still is too little to have anything connected to the web actually working decently).

jaclaz

As far, as I remember, only original Windows 95 without any OSR could run on 4 Mb RAM. I actually saw Windows 95 and some old version of MS Office on 486 with 4 Mb RAM, and it was sooooo slooooowww. My friend tried to install Windows 95 on 386 with 4 Mb RAM, and failed, but I don't remember reason. It seems to be absolutely impossible to run 95 on 2 Mb RAM.

BTW, the record for XP was 18 Mb RAM (on some german website). With 16 Mb they were not able to load it.

As a teenager I used Windows 95 in many different many configurations.

To run Windows 95 with the programs released in 1995-1996, I would recommend 16MB RAM. I would be referring to programs such as AOL 3.0, Internet Explorer 3.0, and Office 95.

For use with programs and hardware around 1997-1999, I would recommend 32MB-96MB RAM. I would be referring to programs such as AOL 4.0, Internet Explorer 4.0, and Office 97.

For use with programs and hardware around 2000-2004 I would recommend >128MB RAM. I would be referring to programs such as AOL 5.0, 6.0, and 7.0. Internet Explorer 5.0 and 5.5. Office 2000. Programs created in the early to mid-2000s demand quite a bit more RAM than just 5 years earlier.

Most software support for Windows 95 ended by 2004. It's important to remember that in the year 2004, someone who only used one application at a time (such as email or word processing) would likely be satisfied with 64MB-128MB. However, a power user who multi-tasked using YouTube, gaming, DirectX 8 and other memory intensive tasks would likely be served better with 256MB-512MB.

The maxium memory i can give this windows 95 machine are mostly x2 512 memory ram, that should be planty for most program updates, i was considering from when windows 95 had its best support tim period for the memory usage as in soundfont for example i would assume need quiet a good amount of memory.

Edited by Nic9x