Toshiba satellite C655, clean windows 7 Home Premium installation

Nikon1234

Hi.

I bought a Toshiba Satellite C655 6 years ago. Recently, I did a system recovery of the computer. It installed the windows 7 and many try out software. I did not like these 'extra' software. So I downloaded an windows 7 home premium from bit-torrent site, and installed on my computer. It did not require product key while in installing. But after the installation, a message came out "Window is not genuine", I tried to put my product key from my Toshiba sticker, but it did not work. Is there a way to 'activate' the 'clean' version of the windows 7? Or, I have to go back to the 'bloated' original window 7 version?

Thanks for help.

Dan

Hi.

I tried the key and it did not work. I bought this Toshiba in 2010 and I did not get the window install CD. I have a hdd partition to recover to window 7 and I made a boot flash drive with it. I still can reboot using this flash drive. The key is a sticker on the back of my computer. Please help.

Thanks.

Dan

If you want to use the COA you need to do telephone activation. From the Run you can put

slui 4

To show the phone activation screen. If you have a smart phone, use this to call the number and then when it prompts to text you, choose that option. It will sent you a link you can use to get the activation codes on a website.

If you have further problems, then you will need to run MGADiag on the OS and copy/paste the output to here. I can look at it and tell you what the problem is.

The SLUI command will show the appropriate phone number to call.

MGADiag can be downloaded from here:
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Run it as Administrator. Click Continue button. After it finishes working, and you can see information, click the Copy button. That will copy the relevant info to the clipboard. You can then paste this into a post here or into a notepad or whatever.

On 22.12.2016 at 3:39 PM, Nikon1234 said:

I tried the key and it did not work.

The download works for retail key version only, not at OEM versions.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/links-for-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-microsofts-official-distributer/

Read sections Download Windows 7/8.1 from The Windows 10 Download Page
and Download a Windows 7 or 8.1 ISO Without JavaScript

On Παρασκευή, 23 Δεκεμβρίου 2016 at 10:45 PM, cdob said:

The download works for retail key version only, not at OEM versions.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/links-for-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-microsofts-official-distributer/

Read sections Download Windows 7/8.1 from The Windows 10 Download Page
and Download a Windows 7 or 8.1 ISO Without JavaScript

Windows 8 and newer OEM license can be transferred to an other computer, have a look at this link (for Windows 8):

http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

So you can use an OEM version key as far as it is not used on another computer.

Is there a real difference between OEM System Builder and "mere" OEM editions of Windows 8? I red somewhere that it is practically the same, "System Builder" is a term that remained from older versions of Windows. Anyway in Reddit, Tomshardware and other sites it is clearly stated that in contrast to Windows 7 OEM (preactivated) Windows 8 OEM (not preactivated) is transferrable to other hardware (including different motherboard)/ computer, there are even people who say that they have done it themselves, I don't know if this was reverted in the case of Windows 8.1 and 10 but I doubt it.

Edited by HarryTri

19 hours ago, HarryTri said:

Is there a real difference between OEM System Builder and "mere" OEM editions of Windows 8? I red somewhere that it is practically the same, "System Builder" is a term that remained from older versions of Windows. Anyway in Reddit, Tomshardware and other sites it is clearly stated that in contrast to Windows 7 OEM (preactivated) Windows 8 OEM (not preactivated) is transferrable to other hardware (including different motherboard)/ computer, there are even people who say that they have done it themselves,

There are 3 types of OEM media.
1. OEM System Builder Kit: the software you can buy from a distribution house, comes in a white box with hologram DVD and COA label.
2. OEM OS that the OEM uses to pre-install Windows onto a new computer for sale. This comes from Microsoft, previously "white-label" media, MS does not ship this anymore.
3. OEM Recovery media, which is a Setup that the OEM uses #2 to create. This is made by a Replicator (presses DVDs or makes USB keys)

In the physical wise, and bit-wise, #1 and #2 are different. An OEM should not use System Builder media to make a pre-install image because they have access to the appropriate media. I think with Windows 8.1 and 10, it is possible to actually do this, but in the past with XP, Vista and 7, it would not work or activate properly. And of course, bit-wise it is also different, for the previous OS examples. #2 is created by the OEM and is not likely to be identical to the source media. Even from MS perspective, they are different, they have different part numbers and often contain different updates and of course end up being different file sizes.

And do not confuse what is technically possible with what is allowed by license. Windows 8.0 OEM System Builder Kit under Personal Use License (like Retail) is allowed to be transferred to different computers. Windows 7, 8.1 or newer OEM System Builder Kit, or OEM pre-installed (COA with OEM's name on it) are not allowed to be transferred.

MS makes so many different licensed versions of Windows, it becomes complicated. End users don't have to worry so much, even if they are technically violating the license. But if you are in a company, then your company should always follow the licensing rule because Microsoft does do audits for license compliance among other things.

On Mittwoch, 28. Dezember 2016 at 9:50 PM, HarryTri said:

Is there a real difference between OEM System Builder and "mere" OEM editions of Windows 8?

The manufacturer opinion is: http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software.

At a hardware manufacturer Windows 8 OEM the product key is embedded in BIOS, you don't know he product key, you don't have to know the key to install a new Windows. You can not transfer the key without retanining any copies, as long you keep the hardware.

This OS manufacturer opinion relates to en-US system builder OEM version only. Not to a hardware manufacturer OEM version.
Transfering a system builder OEM is allowed, a hardware manufacturer OEM transfer is not specified at above link.

There are different countries with different laws and court rulings.

There are a lot of different cases, there is no general answer to license transfer.

On Παρασκευή, 30 Δεκεμβρίου 2016 at 0:34 AM, cdob said:

At a hardware manufacturer Windows 8 OEM the product key is embedded in BIOS, you don't know he product key, you don't have to know the key to install a new Windows. You can not transfer the key without retanining any copies, as long you keep the hardware.

The product key can be retrieved from the BIOS with several programs. And the hardware doesn't last for ever...