Latest Version of Software Running on XP

pointertovoid

I find sumatra PDF to be superior to adobe reader in 2018.  Especially over old versions of reader.  Before I found out about sumatra a couple years ago I was using Foxit which I also found to be better.

Edited by Destro

15 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

Adobe Reader 11.0 (Acrobat Reader XI) is the final supported version on Windows XP (requires SP3). However, a final update was released in 2017 which brings it up to 11.0.23. It's not widely publicized.

You can download the RTM 11.0 installer from here (ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.00/en_US/AdbeRdr11000_en_US.exe) and then update to 11.0.23 here: (ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.23/misc/AdbeRdrUpd11023.msp) (these are United States English, you can pick the proper link for your country in the root directory: (ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.00/)

I've also archived them for the inevitable day Adobe deletes them from the server: Installer (http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/AdbeRdr11000_en_US.exe) and update (http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/AdbeRdrUpd11023.msp)

If you have XP SP2 you'll have to take Adobe Reader 9.5 (ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.5.0/en_US/AdbeRdr950_en_US.exe) and update to 9.5.5 (ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.5.5/misc/AdbeRdrUpd955_all_incr.msp)

Well, try as I might, I can't get past 11.0.02. Every version newer than that one just locks up solid as soon as the Reader window opens.

I'm sure it has something to do with the "Internet bar" they added in 11.0.03, because that's the one obvious change between .02 and .03. But I can't figure it out.

21 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Well, try as I might, I can't get past 11.0.02. Every version newer than that one just locks up solid as soon as the Reader window opens.

I'm sure it has something to do with the "Internet bar" they added in 11.0.03, because that's the one obvious change between .02 and .03. But I can't figure it out.

I may have made a mistake. Download the newer 11.0.10 installer, then update to 11.0.23. I wasn't aware there were installers available for the versions after the RTM 11.0 release.

The 11.0.10 is the last installer made available, the remaining updates are cumulative and require a previous version of the product installed. I'm pretty sure you will be successful.

Adobe Reader 11.0.10: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.10/en_US/AdbeRdr11010_en_US.exe

Adobe Reader 11.0.23 update: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.23/misc/AdbeRdrUpd11023.msp

On 1/7/2019 at 6:13 PM, Destro said:

I find sumatra PDF to be superior to adobe reader in 2018.  Especially over old versions of reader.  Before I found out about sumatra a couple years ago I was using Foxit which I also found to be better.

Sumatra is very good reader, smooth and fast for XP machine but for editing PDF X-Change Editor does the job really great with all tools needed and less resource consuming than Adobe XI 

Well, that didn't take long. They're already up to 3.0.6....

VideoLAN is now publishing the VLC 3.0.6 release, which fixes an important regression that appeared on 3.0.5 for DVD subtitles. It also adds support for HDR in AV1.

Oooh ... High Dynamic Range ... wish I had an HDR monitor to try it on.

The problem is that VLC doesn't apply tonemapping to HDR10 / HLG / Dolby Vision contents when displayed on an SDR display and it scales them instead, so the result looks awful. If you wanna test some HDR contents on an SDR display, you can try Potplayer (make sure to turn on the 2084 correction). It works on XP, it's lightweight and it has many more functions than VLC. ;)

Edited by FranceBB

Thanks to FranceBB for letting me know potplayer. On my old XP-PC it runs much better than VLC and i can see video smoothly, that prieviously on VLC get always stuttering.

I would like to ask if Potplayer can really take further advantages of K-Lite pack: after installed it, i can't see any improvement.

The "No Resource URI Leak" extension for Firefox is no longer available.

It is still available at the links below:

https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:project:iceweasel-uxp_addons

https://addons.thunderbird.net/it/seamonkey/addon/no-resource-uri-leak/?src=ss

The version of the Hyperbola Project seems more evolved.

Test:

https://browserleaks.com/firefox

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

On 1/11/2019 at 5:09 PM, Vistaboy said:

Thanks to FranceBB for letting me know potplayer. On my old XP-PC it runs much better than VLC and i can see video smoothly, that prieviously on VLC get always stuttering.

I would like to ask if Potplayer can really take further advantages of K-Lite pack: after installed it, i can't see any improvement.

The k-lite codec pack makes the decoders like LAV available to the system by letting it handling the decoding. This way, every programme that relies on DirectShowSource can use them. Potplayer  doesn't rely on DSS as it uses its own decoders based on the Open Media Codecs, however it does support DSS if the user specifically selects it. 

By the way, I'm glad that you are using Potplayer. As you can see, it uses less resources than VLC 'cause VLC is based on a very old core engine which was fine many years ago, but not nowadays. Besides, if you dig into the Potplayer settings, you'll notice that you can even choose how you are going to pass the data to the GPU (OpenGl, D3D9 ecc) which is very important for a player for me.

7 hours ago, FranceBB said:

The k-lite codec pack makes the decoders like LAV available to the system by letting it handling the decoding. This way, every programme that relies on DirectShowSource can use them. Potplayer  doesn't rely on DSS as it uses its own decoders based on the Open Media Codecs, however it does support DSS if the user specifically selects it. 

By the way, I'm glad that you are using Potplayer. As you can see, it uses less resources than VLC 'cause VLC is based on a very old core engine which was fine many years ago, but not nowadays. Besides, if you dig into the Potplayer settings, you'll notice that you can even choose how you are going to pass the data to the GPU (OpenGl, D3D9 ecc) which is very important for a player for me.

unless it supports AV1 codec or I'll keep using MPC-BE 1.4.7

On 9/15/2018 at 8:18 PM, sdfox7 said:

To download Silverlight 5.1.50907 (the final release), you can download it from my FTP here: http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/Silverlight5.1.50907.exe

Believe it or not, 5.1.50907 may not be the final release. On Win 7, WU just today updated Silverlight to 5.1.50918!

Edit: It looks like one of those updates to handle the new Japanese era (like the Office 2010 updates M$ keeps fouling up), so it may or may not be compatible with XP.

I checked MU on my XP VM. The update wasn't there, but since POSReady '09 is still supported, it still might appear in a day or two.

Edit 2: Downloaded the new Silverlight to my XP VM and installed it. Does anyone know of a good Silverlight test page?

Edited by Mathwiz

6 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Believe it or not, 5.1.50907 may not be the final release. On Win 7, WU just today updated Silverlight to 5.1.50918!

Edit: It looks like one of those updates to handle the new Japanese era (like the Office 2010 updates M$ keeps fouling up), so it may or may not be compatible with XP.

I checked MU on my XP VM. The update wasn't there, but since POSReady '09 is still supported, it still might appear in a day or two.

Edit 2: Downloaded the new Silverlight to my XP VM and installed it. Does anyone know of a good Silverlight test page?

Rather surprising, since Silverlight is basically a dead technology and the last update was nearly 2 years ago. If you use Netflix in Google Chrome or Firefox on Windows XP, it will use HTML5. But thanks for the update, I'll upload it to my FTP.

It's humorous that the digital signature shows October 23 and it is just being released now!

The Microsoft link is https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=57768. The direct download link is https://download.microsoft.com/download/D/D/F/DDF23DF4-0186-495D-AA35-C93569204409/50918.00/Silverlight.exe.

I've also added it to my FTP: http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/Silverlight5.1.50918.exe