Latest Version of Software Running on XP

pointertovoid

On 3/9/2020 at 7:19 AM, Sampei.Nihira said:

I use the portable version CCleaner 5.61.7392.
5.64.7577 has the same problems as the previous versions.

I always preferred 4.17.4808 but tested (and disliked) 5.61.7392 because Win10 was complaining about "compatibility".

Turns out, all you have to do is RENAME the .exe and an "incompatible" 4.17.4808 is now miraculously "compatible".

On 5/26/2022 at 9:42 AM, RamonUn said:

@user57

A new SumatraPDF version was just released. (version 3.4.1) It contains some nice new features. I hope you will consider making a build. Maybe wait a couple weeks before doing so so that you are sure 3.4.x branch got stable.

i readed it today, the first time it still had the 3.3.3 version 

also working on other project

but whats new with it ? it might be of use

7 hours ago, user57 said:

i readed it today, the first time it still had the 3.3.3 version 

also working on other project

but whats new with it ? it might be of use

It has better ePub compatibility and more importantly for me, the ability to setup shortcuts with better shortcuts for annotations.

I can live with version 3.3.3 for the near future, but in the long run, I like the Idea to also have a more up-to date mupdf engine that will be more compatible with all random PDFs that I could come across.

In the End the release cycle of SumatraPDF seems to be one version a year which is still very reasonable.

On 6/13/2022 at 10:43 AM, Dibya said:

last version of malwarebyte anti exploit that works on xp?

The latest beta version of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit is 1.13.1.481. This is the link to its post where it can be downloaded too: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/205865-malwarebytes-anti-exploit-113-build-481-released-may-18-2022/ 
I don't know if this version is Windows XP compatible. Some sites list it to be compatible, others don't specify it in detail. You have to try, I don't use it.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 6/13/2022 at 12:01 PM, AstroSkipper said:
On 6/13/2022 at 10:43 AM, Dibya said:

last version of malwarebyte anti exploit that works on xp?

The latest beta version of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit is 1.13.1.481. This is the link to its post where it can be downloaded too: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/205865-malwarebytes-anti-exploit-113-build-481-released-may-18-2022/ 
I don't know if this version is Windows XP compatible. Some sites list it to be compatible, others don't specify in detail. You have to try, I don't use it.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

The last Windows XP compatible version seems to be 1.13.1.304. Have a look here:  https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/274921-a-brief-comment-on-using-mbae-with-windows-xp-sp3/

Cheers, AstroSkipper ecrire-ordi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

well i gone after that annotions message here is a next test:

https://www.file-upload.net/download-14953656/SumatraPDF3.4.6.zip.html

(edit now has a own jxr decoder)

the dialog should apear now and ask "save to existing pdf, ect."

well with the JXL file i think you got a version problem

JXL should open on a new version of windowscodecs.dll

a programmer has the choose to let a engine do the encode/decode, or manual 

this time windows is choosen to do so, if it cant find the the decode routine, it wont work

here is a list that seems to be involved 

(from a programming standpoint it is just windowscodec.dll (that is the one we give the jxl file)

WINDOWSCODECS.DLL      loadlist:
WINTRUST.dll
IMAGEHLP.DLL

WINTRUST.dll - loads and connections :

RSAENH.DLL
CRYPT32.DLL 
ADVAPI32.DLL
xpsp2res.dll

crypt32.dll - loads and connections : 
userenv.dll
VERSION.dll
CRYPTNET.DLL

userenv.dll  - loads and connections :
SECUR32.DLL
netapi32.dll

CRYPTNET.DLL  - loads and connections :
PSAPI.DLL 
SENSAPI.DLL
WINHTTP.DLL
WLDAP32.DLL

OLE32.DLL - loads and connections :
wmphoto.dll
sendmail.dll

maybe not all are requied

Edited by user57

Universal Extractor 2 is a tool to extract files from any type of archive or installer. After the release of UniExtract2 2.0.0 RC 3 in 2020, a new nightly build has been uploaded this month. Here is the download link to UniExtract2 2.0.0 RC 4 Nightly (01.06.2022)
 https://update.bioruebe.com/uniextract/files/nightly.zip

Cheers, AstroSkipper kaffeepc.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

Was able to run all unsupported versions of the MPC-BE video player, including the latest, 1.6.3. But there are a few peculiarities. Because VMR 7/9 was removed, you have to install a third-party video renderer, like madvr. Or use Enhanced Video Renderer, even though it says it's not installed, it works. The DXVA hardware acceleration does not work for the same reason. But on my test computer with Core 2 Duo E7300 processor any 1080p video opens without frame dropped, even with AV1 codec. Also the built-in subtitle renderer doesn't work, so if you need subtitles, install XySubFilter or xy-VSFilter.

spacer.png

On 6/1/2022 at 1:40 PM, dmiranda said:

Hey there, I have some old cassette recordings I want to digitalize and am wondering how to do that. I thought of connecting headphone (in walkman -laf, aren't we old) to mic in PC. Would audacity work? Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm sorry I've not replied after liking the posting but I forgot ... better late than never, so they say. What is it *they say* again, I always forget that too hehe.

Yes! Its would definitely work - just as you described.

From the headphone/aux out (to) microphone/aux in on your computer. Just see which sound the best or less worse Lol.

With audacity you can improve the quality a little but then we squash into mp3 anyway =P

Edited by XPerceniol

I wouldn't feed line/headphone level audio into a microphone input, it will probably overload it and the result will be extremely distorted.
The aux/line input on the computer should be fine.
:)

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I wouldn't feed line/headphone level audio into a microphone input, it will probably overload it and the result will be extremely distorted.
The aux/line input on the computer should be fine.
:)

Hi Dave and hope all is well.

Actually, I have 4 walkman cassettes players and a phonograph only with headphone jacks as output. I've only done it that way - from headphone to either microphone or aux in. @dmiranda mentioned walkman cassette players that usually only come with headphone jacks. But I realized after reading your posting that I should've mentioned the level of amplification from the source going into the sound card could actually cause damage. That is the good thing about Audacity 2.1.0

th?id=OIP._p5XcXxr2IueO5-NMYvDEgHaER%26p

You need to keep the volume very low on the headphone output and keep the computer volume and open up the input volume levels up to the max. Not only do you not want to input to see blue in huge (distortion city) but when the input source shows up in RED, its too loud; in fact, I keep it very low and increase afterwards at the end.

Should look like this:

1-1.png

And when done, you can select Amplify if you need to, but I use mp3gain to do that. I'm going to find a way to send to a upload server the Pennsylvania Polka (don't worry, public domain) and see what you think as it came from a scratchy 45 record and I worked to improve it as best as could. I'll let you know when I figure out what would be best.

Again, as Dave pointed out, feeding headphones or amplification to your computer can cause damage so start very low in the volume with your computer input (either microphone or aux in) all the way up so you won't wind up in the red.

Try it and let us know which version Of Audacity you chose. 2.1.0 has a good mix of features, whereas below its very basic, but above 2.1.0 and its not very stable on XP and crashes on my systems.

Good luck ::)

I still would never use the microphone input on the computer unless there was no alternative.
The level from a microphone is very much lower than from a line level source, so you would have to have the source level set much lower to avoid overloading.
Also the microphone input could have equalisation on it to suit a microphone, whereas the line/aux input should be 'flat'.
Much better all round to maintain the quality of the original.
:yes:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

..unless there was no alternative....

Very true and please be very careful doing so, I've done it for years so I can get my old music on the computer, but, as you said, not ideal.

I would open up your input levels as I've done below in the picture I'm attaching.

spacer.png

I realize Dave is trying to save others from causing damage and you should trust him and go with aux in before you try the microphone because they are different. Sadly my aux input is a bad connection, so I have no alternative. Yes, try aux in (line in) first with very VERY low source volume as you can amplify and normalize it afterwards. 

Now I'm a bit irritated that I can't find you a good portable version of Audacity and only installers. Ugh ... I'll keep looking and would gladly send you my copy but perhaps 7-Zip would unpack the installers.

Edited by XPerceniol