Latest Version of Software Running on XP

pointertovoid

The latest version of WinRar supporting WinXP has 6.02, version 6.10 Beta1 no longer supports:

3. Windows XP is not supported anymore. Minimum required operating system version is Windows Vista.

• 4 weeks later...

Here another RTL-SDR related software that I found to work on XP.

adsbSCOPE V2.7 with ADSB# V1.0.11.1 works on XP and displays aircrafts around me.

I tested and all maps and built in downloader works without issues under 32bit Windows XP with POS ready TLS patch. That program is also less bloated than virtual radar server (why does it need web server while this wont) and runs all inside client.

Earlier I mentioned some other RTL-SDR related utils that been confirmed to run on XP. You do not need newer Windows to do SDR stuff

On 12/30/2020 at 6:40 PM, gerwin said:

This is a nice surprise:

MinGW compiler v8.4.0 works on Windows XP

Not the normal release though (the latest v6 is already not working on XP) but the ReactOS Build Environment 2.2.1 version.

This v8.4.0 MinGW compiler does seem to have difficulty finding its headers in the normal .\include folder, but it works flawless when I put these headers inside the other include folder, some subfolders down the .\lib\gcc\ folder.

ReactOS Build Environment 2.2.1 also includes CMake v3.17.2, but without the GUI component. As for the official CMake packages: v3.13.5 is latest that runs on XP.

I have been using this compiler successfully for several hobby things, and thought it was worth a try to tackle its issues with the "\include" header-files folder.

Using the command "cpp.exe -v" gives the list of search directories for header files. The result of which show again that it is overlooking it's MinGW include folder, and only looking in the more nested GCC system include folder. I found several messages on the internet reporting the same issue with certain MinGW/GCC homemade builds. The usual answer is to build GCC again properly, not as easy as it sounds. Instead, I tried several hex edits, and settled for this one:

cc1.exe at offset E73C23
cc1plus.exe at offset F8B203

original string "i686-w64-mingw32/include" is to be replaced by just "include". The now unused characters need to be zeroed out. Then things work properly. Note that the search-order if the three header folders is a bit different, with the MinGW include folder now being 3rd instead of 1st.

(Besides the ReactOS build environment package I also found this one GCC_8.4.0_for_MSYS2 . I only tried its cc1/cc1plus files, they have the exact same behaviour: WinXP compatible but include dir issue. The executables in this package are UPX compressed.)

Edit: looking some more at that GCC_8.4.0_for_MSYS2 package. It is a much better example of how the folder structure was originally intended compared to the special purpose ReactOS package. It has a populated ".\i686-w64-mingw32\include" folder, and an empty but still present ".\include" folder.  So instead of hex editing one can use ".\i686-w64-mingw32\include" and disregard ".\include". I will see what works better...

Edited by gerwin

Courtesy of Hangar0, https://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24715&p=102101#p102101, this build of mplayer works well in XP. Other than the dvd menu (which is f***ed up), it works with smplayer - just copy onto the mplayer folder of smplayer 21.1.0 (the last version that seems to work in XP.

On a related manner. Can someone with the due expertise test this version of ffmpeg (https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-win32/files/FFmpeg/git-N-104423-g682bafdb12/), compared to that of https://rwijnsma.home.xs4all.nl/files/ffmpeg/?C=M&O=D?

The latest (and possibly last?) version of the Last.fm scrobbler, namely v2.1.37, works fine, still scrobbles from WMP/Winamp fine (haven't tested foobar2000 and iTunes yet, and probably won't). Said version can be downloaded (for now) here: last.fm/download/windows.

This is also easily the best way to scrobble from any player other than Spotify on Windows, as it consumes next to no resources and just works.

My favourite .ISO mounting tool also fully supports XP, including the last version - WinCDEmu. The app can be downloaded here: github.com/sysprogs/WinCDEmu/releases/v4.1

Edited by baluw
Don't want to double-post.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 7:38 PM, user57 said:

Hi @user57, the last official version for XP allows select and copy text. This last version of yours doesn't seem to allow it. Any idea why? Thanks!

SOLVED: in the text file (SumatraPDF-settings.txt) that pops up from menu-->settings-->advanced options, change from false to true

EbookUI [

UseFixedPageUI = true
]

ChmUI [
    UseFixedPageUI = true
]

Edited by dmiranda
SOLVED

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2021 at 2:35 AM, dmiranda said:

Courtesy of Hangar0, https://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24715&p=102101#p102101, this build of mplayer works well in XP. Other than the dvd menu (which is f***ed up), it works with smplayer - just copy onto the mplayer folder of smplayer 21.1.0 (the last version that seems to work in XP.

On a related manner. Can someone with the due expertise test this version of ffmpeg (https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-win32/files/FFmpeg/git-N-104423-g682bafdb12/), compared to that of https://rwijnsma.home.xs4all.nl/files/ffmpeg/?C=M&O=D?

Do you know how to use DXVA1 with MPlayer ? :dubbio:

On 9/29/2021 at 4:35 PM, Proteus said:

Next version (1.25) of VeraCrypt (https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html) will only support Windows 8+

Develper's (Mounir Idrassi) explanation:

"For Windows, we have no choice but drop complete support for Windows XP and Windows 7 because we cannot renew the SHA-1 certificate that is needed for signing VeraCrypt driver. All public CAs have stopped issuing SHA-1 certificates and drivers signed with SHA-256 will refuse to load on Windows XP and Windows 7 (and in case of system encryption, Windows will not boot at all).

Microsoft has its own internal CA so it can issue SHA-1 certificates to itself but third-party developers like us cannot have such certificates."

Good news:

"Restore support of Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1.

Windows 7 support requires that either KB3033929 or KB4474419 is installed.

Windows Vista support requires that either KB4039648 or KB4474419 is installed."

Although not specifically mentioned, in our beloved XP the latest version (1.25.7) works as well (tested with already present volumes/files).