Latest Version of Software Running on XP

pointertovoid

Big pleasant surprise here: Full connectivity with an iPad Mini 4 (2015-2019) with IOS 14.6 (24-05-2021) installed. Using iTools v4.3.5.5. This allows for access to photos, music, ebooks etc.

So this iTools program downloads and installs apple drivers automatically (normally part of iTunes software), and it seemingly succeeds in doing that under Windows XP.

(The currently latest version of iTools, v4.4.5.6. does not run on Windows XP. Many calls to unsupported functions. )

Edit: Latest 3uTools v2.57.031 (2021-08-30) is very similar. It seems to have more options. It also works under windows XP, and also successfully connects to the mentioned iPad. Actually this 3uTools works better compared to the mentioned iTools version, as it is more recent, and better adapted to IOS 14.6 specifics.

iTools4355 WinXP NoID.png

iTools4355 WinXP Drivers.png

Edited by gerwin

On 9/15/2021 at 9:05 PM, gerwin said:

Using iTools v4.3.5.5. This allows for access to photos, music, ebooks etc.

I use iTools v1.8.4.9 for my iPod touch 4 with IOS 6.1.6 (if i need it at all), mainly to do app+data backups or for a quick transfer of some file to the PC.

Later versions feel too bloated for me, and the iPod won't ever get newer IOS anyways...

21 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

I use iTools v1.8.4.9 for my iPod touch 4 with IOS 6.1.6 (if i need it at all), mainly to do app+data backups or for a quick transfer of some file to the PC.

Later versions feel too bloated for me, and the iPod won't ever get newer IOS anyways...

I also have an older iPad mini 3 with IOS 8.1.3 (2015), and I am using similar iTools v1.8.4.6 for it. That iTools version is just a single portable executable, and works great. Note that IOS 8 Safari Browser is unusable on the current internet. 

Anyways that old one may die one of these days, so when I saw an offer for a low-priced spare I decided to go for that. Even though there is a lot to dislike about iPads and IOS too, I know.

Next version (1.25) of VeraCrypt (https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html) will only support Windows 8+

Develper's (Mounir Idrassi) explanation:

"For Windows, we have no choice but drop complete support for Windows XP and Windows 7 because we cannot renew the SHA-1 certificate that is needed for signing VeraCrypt driver. All public CAs have stopped issuing SHA-1 certificates and drivers signed with SHA-256 will refuse to load on Windows XP and Windows 7 (and in case of system encryption, Windows will not boot at all).

Microsoft has its own internal CA so it can issue SHA-1 certificates to itself but third-party developers like us cannot have such certificates."

32 minutes ago, jumper said:

Quote implies partial support will remain.

Mounir Idrassi’s English might not be the best: “drop complete support” might mean “completely drop support.” Windows 7 received updates adding SHA-256 support in 2019, but there seem to be many Win7 diehards who avoid Windows updates. I notice that Vista does not exist as far as Idrassi is concerned, but we too could have SHA-256 support by installing Server 2008 updates.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

1 hour ago, dmiranda said:

How is that?

Sorry, that sentence was about Vista and therefore OT here. I don’t think there is any way to install similar SHA-256 support on XP, so Idrassi as quoted above by Proteus probably does make a valid point with respect to XP support.

the perma link for sumatra pdf xp 3.3.3

http://designingonajuicycup.com/downloads/untested/sumatrapdf_winxp/3.3.3.7z

there also some jpeg format´ss to test, for printing sure print formats such as bmp, png ,tif, raw and maybe tga are the best 

jpeg XR(.jr), jpeg 2000 (.jpf), jpg standart (.jpg)

the jpeg XR format useally works, on some older versions of xp there are reports that it doesnt

involved dlls are windowscodecs.dll(thats the one in compiler too my version has 6.0.6001.17009), wmphoto.dll, rsaenh.dll

On 10/4/2021 at 12:38 AM, user57 said:

the perma link for sumatra pdf xp 3.3.3

Thanks again!

The toolbar icons became a somewhat ugly since previous versions. It seems they are made for white background only.