Latest Version of Software Running on XP

pointertovoid

3 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Even now the installer has the version number 1.7.21465 but
SUMO notifies me that there is an update 1.7.21469.0:
(screengrab redacted)

and your version is 1.7.21472.0.

... A quick search found a few mentions (mostly in Chinese and Russian sites) of an interim release v1.7.21469.0 

uFnpHGH.jpg

with the "version number", again, assumed to apply to the main potplayer.dll file :angry: ... That release, apparently, took place on Mar 25th 2021, and has already been superseded/replaced by (potplayer.dll) v1.7.21472.0 (that I downloaded directly from vendor:

https://t1.daumcdn.net/potplayer/PotPlayer/Version/Latest/PotPlayerSetup.exe

); while searching, I did come across several PotPlayerSetup.exe releases with the same file version 1.7.21465, but with different versions of contained DLL and different digital sigs (DS):

Setup v1.7.21465.0/DLL v1.7.21466]/DS 20210318
Setup v1.7.21465.0/DLL v1.7.21467]/DS 20210319
Setup v1.7.21465.0/DLL v1.7.21469]/DS 20210325
Setup v1.7.21465.0/DLL v1.7.21472]/DS 20210402 (latest as of this time)

None of the above are expected to run under Windows XP... :( But, as I told already, standardisation of the released binaries has gone out the window... :crazy:
To be frank, I don't expect them to restore XP-compatibility, it might be a while before their main homepage reflects this, but it's the sad reality...
FWIW, Vista will be also dropped like a hot potato at first opportunity, by introducing Win7+ function(s)... :angry:

In light of the above sad developments, any further discussion of PP versions > 210209/1.7.21419.0 would be OT for this thread...
Let me close by sharing another disturbing piece of news about current owners of PP: 

https://old.reddit.com/r/potplayer/comments/lxsozp/potplayer_official_english_forum_was_closed/

Thus, international PP users likely have to turn to third-party forums for support... :(

• 2 weeks later...

ZWCAD is a chinese AutoCAD like program. It is VERY AutoCAD like. Surprisingly ZWCAD 2020 SP2 32-bit still works fine in Windows XP. But with the arrival of the 2021 edition, it no longer does. 

17 hours ago, Segadude said:

The really interesting bits :P are to be found inside:

https://github.com/notepad-plus-plus/notepad-plus-plus/pull/9378

especially in comments by XP user @KOLANICH :thumbup ...

TL;DR : They didn't really have to drop XP, it was just that one of their devs (@mere-human) "forcefully" introduced code for a "modern" style File Open dialog, that relies on APIs found only on Vista+; the idea to have a fallback for XP was also dropped, as "too complicated"... :angry:

Edited by VistaLover

@VistaLover

VLC has not yet fixed a known vulnerability since January 18.
The better known and more widespread the software is, the more it becomes a target for system attacks.

Update as soon as the new version is available, my friend:

https://thehackernews.com/2021/04/1-click-hack-found-in-popular-desktop.html

On 4/17/2021 at 11:05 PM, Sampei.Nihira said:

VLC has not yet fixed a known vulnerability since January 18.
The better known and more widespread the software is, the more it becomes a target for system attacks.

Update as soon as the new version is available, my friend:

Thanks for the heads-up! :thumbup If you (or anyone else) can't wait until the (patched) version 3.0.13 is officially released, VideoLan provide VLC 3 automated nightly builds, where, hopefully, the exploit has been patched already :) ; latest (as of this writing) 3.0.13-dev-win32 build can be downloaded from: 

https://artifacts.videolan.org/vlc-3.0/nightly-win32/20210417-0625/

binaries repo:

https://artifacts.videolan.org/vlc-3.0/nightly-win32/

Best wishes :)

Edited by VistaLover

DVBViewer Pro (view IPTV or TV trough tuner card on computer) latest version (7.0.2.0 in writing this) still works on xp with one tweak. On startup you will get error from bcrypt.dll missing but it will start just fine. Bcrypt.dll was on vista and newer. To get around in delete libssl-1_1.dll and libcrypto-1_1.dll on DVBViewer directory and it will fallback to older mehtod (not fully sure which). All features (Weather, RSS, Capture TV, tuning, IR remote control, games) seems work fine. Only thing I cannot say is if CI card used to paid channels works on latest since wont have one. Update: download this and replace libssl-1_1.dll and libcrypto-1_1.dll on DVBViewer directory. Those are XP compatible versions of files and All dvbviewer online features (addon downloader, weather, rss feeds) works without issue. Thanks to @VistaLover for the tip

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000
updated info

18 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Too many users of legacy Windows seem to think online threats are just a hoax. :worship:

Saying I do not need any protection on pc since never got hacked or viruses is like saying wont need seatbelts on car since never driven crash. Both of those can happen and if prepared will minimise damage

2 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

DVBViewer Pro (view IPTV or TV trough tuner card on computer) latest version (7.0.2.0 in writing this) still works on xp with one tweak....

Wow, another DVR enthusiast! Sounds like no tweak would even be needed on Vista, but I never pay for software if I can possibly avoid it. I mentioned 2 years ago in this thread the last version of NextPVR that could be used on XP. (NextPVR is closed source donationware, and the legacy version I mentioned needed .NET 4.0.) A version that old would not be very good for IPTV, but should still work fine with regular ATSC or DVB (but obviously not the latest ATSC 3.0 or HEVC channels). A SchedulesDirect subscription might be needed unless adequate in-band guide data is available where you live.

21 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Wow, another DVR enthusiast!

Diy DVR is best thing can do to record tv shows. No vendor lock, easy storage upgrade and unlimited possibilities

25 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Sounds like no tweak would even be needed on Vista

I tried on vista x64 and no errors. I wanted support developer who wont just artificially block software from running totally (winpe header change for example) and dvbviewer was only to XP that could support happauge IR remotes.

Happauge blocked use of tuner on older Windows version by altering hwid a bit and removing info from XP support from their site.  I emailed company asking if it did support since few of their pages said Windows XP supported. Got response never been tested or supported. Support person did not even read my email. I got it working by altering driver file to match tuner (Happauge WinTV solohd) id on Happauge driver version 5.2015.1030.34035. Same method worked to Windows Vista which was "never supported" either according them.

23 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

A SchedulesDirect subscription might be needed unless adequate in-band guide data is available where you live.

Luckily Elisa which is my cable operator in finland offers proper guide data to me

With NextPVR, it was newer .NET requirements that left XP behind (and eventually Vista too: current 5.x cross-platform versions require .NET Core.) Sorry to hear about difficulties with Hauppauge drivers. Note to self: Do not attempt to update driver! :huh: