Latest Version of Software Running on XP

pointertovoid

8 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

P.S.Why don't you use the latest build?

Why change something that works very well ?

The version 5 of Pop Peeper is being developped. When it will be release, perhaps that I will update my copy to the version 4.  :)

After a lot of tests of course. :P

1 hour ago, Rod Steel said:

What does it mean "Out Potplayer"? Can you be more specific? Is this version works with XP or not? Can you provide direct link to it?

It means that a new version of PotPlayer has been released and it's still compatible with XP.

PotPlayer is very well known to be a very good player based on open codecs that still supports Windows XP, so, instead of writing every time "A new version of PotPlayer which still supports Windows XP has been released, namely version xxxx" Sampei just began to write "Out PotPlayer v. xxxxx". 

Anyway, I understand that it can be a bit confusing for people unfamiliar with the software and the topic. 

For the records: I was offered to update the other day, I updated and it's working flawlessly. :)

Edited by FranceBB

Is there any special trick to getting PotPlayer to work on XP?

I ask because, on numerous occasions now, I've tried installing whatever the last version was (can't recall now), and all I get is some error dialog that suggests that something is incompatible (I can't remember what it says, though I can try reinstalling and take a screenshot of the error if need be).  Regardless, the end result is that the program won't start.

I did this on Win XP x64, maybe that makes a difference?  I don't see how though, given that if PotPlayer is 32-bit, it should still work as it would on 32-bit XP, right?

c

57 minutes ago, cc333 said:

Is there any special trick to getting PotPlayer to work on XP?

I ask because, on numerous occasions now, I've tried installing whatever the last version was (can't recall now), and all I get is some error dialog that suggests that something is incompatible (I can't remember what it says, though I can try reinstalling and take a screenshot of the error if need be).  Regardless, the end result is that the program won't start.

I did this on Win XP x64, maybe that makes a difference?  I don't see how though, given that if PotPlayer is 32-bit, it should still work as it would on 32-bit XP, right?

c

Potplayer is both x86 and x64, so I think it tried to install the x64 version on your XP x64 even if you wanted the 32bit version. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the 64bit isn't supported. The 32bit version, however, works as expected on XP x86 without any fancy mod or anything.

I have an x86 version of XP myself, so...

Edited by FranceBB

Was the error message "potplayer.dll has been modified or hacked?"

The x86 version doesn't work on Windows 2000 exkernel or Server 2003 x86 because of this stupid error when it should work perfectly on both platforms. Last I checked it worked on XP x86 and x64 though.

There was 1.7.17792 (?) or something that was the latest version at the end of 2018. I ran it successfully on Windows 2000 and then I reinstalled the same version a few weeks later, in 2019, and then I started getting that error.

Edited by win32

1 hour ago, win32 said:

Was the error message "potplayer.dll has been modified or hacked?"

Yes, that was the error!

Any way around it, do you know?  Other than running true XP x86, of course?

c

I suspect the issue is missing or corrupted root certificate(s):

VeriSign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G5

Thawte Root Certificates (you need Thawte Timestamping CA)

When you have the both files:

1. Start->Run..., type mmc and confirm.
  2. File->Add/Remove Snap-in...
  3. Add...
  4. Select Certificates, click Add->select Computer account->Next->Finish.

5. Check and note down if either Thawte Timestamping CA or VeriSign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G5 are present in Trusted Root Certification Authorities->Certificates, so you'll only import the missing ones in the following steps.

6. Right-click on Trusted Root Certification Authorities->All Tasks->Import...->Next.
  7. Browse to the first file/certificate->Next->Finish.
  8. Repeat 6. - 7. for the second file/certificate, if needed.

9. Find VeriSign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G5 in Trusted Root Certification Authorities->Certificates->right-click->Properties.
  10. Tick Enable only the following purposes, then on the list below, enable first 4 (Server Authentication, Client Authentication, Code Signing, Secure Email) and confirm.

11. Find Thawte Timestamping CA, open its properties, enable only Timestamping on the list.

My issue with PotPlayer is that the recent versions need a SSE2 capable CPU, so i'm stuck on v.1.6.57398.

I could get around this for a few updates by transplanting PotPlayerMini.exe from older builds, but it eventually stopped working - the player starts, but when i try to play a file it crashes...

12 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

My issue with PotPlayer is that the recent versions need a SSE2 capable CPU, so i'm stuck on v.1.6.57398.

I know that i should not write this... but even first Pentium IV in 2000 year already have SSE2. Like maybe you should consider upgrade...:unsure: Like some AM3 or socket 1155 system could be bought dirty cheap now...:rolleyes:

23 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Anyway, I understand that it can be a bit confusing for people unfamiliar with the software and the topic. 

Thank you for clarification, FranceBB! In fact i use PotPlayer on regular basis for years - on XP now that is the only thing i know that could show LIVE YouTube videos with HW AVC acceleration for hours without glitches. I usually use 1.7.17508(2019/02/12) version and i didn't know that newer versions of PotPlayer still works in XP - cool.

Also i found link on page with direct link. http://cafe.daum.net/pot-tool/BHPW/167

2 minutes ago, Rod Steel said:

I know that i should not write this... but even first Pentium IV in 2000 year already have SSE2. Like maybe you should consider upgrade...:unsure:

Believe me, people who reach here CAN upgrade their PC, but for whatever reason, they don't want to. Don't spoil the fun of teaching 'em old dogs some new tricks :)

2 hours ago, Rod Steel said:

I know that i should not write this... but even first Pentium IV in 2000 year already have SSE2. Like maybe you should consider upgrade...:unsure: Like some AM3 or socket 1155 system could be bought dirty cheap now...:rolleyes:

This would mean to give up on all the hardware in the PC, except the 7 disk drives. Not to mention the decade old install of XP with most issues ironed out, all my little tweaks, and all my programs.

At work i used a Dell D620 to do my job at repairing tablets, i3/i5/i7s and all kinds of other new crap. I had to replace it with a D830 after a HDD break and another (still undiagnosed) failure, that made even a freshly installed XP to BSOD at most inappropriate times. Still keep the D620 just in case, though.

My coworkers tried to shoehorn a tower workstation on me, but they took it away after months of it just collecting dust under my table, lol. I only used that to test disks and PCI cards...

Edited by RainyShadow