Latest Version of Software Running on XP

pointertovoid

2 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who can try the official installer on Windows Vista?

Vista guru WinClient5270 stated December 27

Telegram Desktop 1.8.15 has been listed as the last version for Windows XP and Vista (1.9.0/1.9.1, both pre-releases, do not work due to missing DLL functions...

On 1/7/2020 at 6:47 AM, FranceBB said:

It has a file called "kernelxp.dll". Once you patch a programme, the programme will use kernelxp.dll instead of directly calling the XP kernel. Such a thing is needed as it implements redirections to the xp kernel for known functions while it uses Wine implementations for those missing. Of course an antivirus isn't going to like that! Heck, you're basically redirecting calls of programmers and you're gonna let pass to the real kernel only those you decided to let pass while you're gonna employ a non Microsoft compiled and totally unsigned mini kernel for the others. What did you expect from the Antivirus? To say that everything was fine? XD

Anyway those are all false positive. Feel free to check @TuMaGoNx code on Github if you don't believe me.

As to the behaviours you encountered, you may wanna let him know if you are 100% sure that it's xompie that it's causing them.

By the way, Tuma, shall we expect a new release in the future or did you just drop the project?

I never been optimistic about the prospect of xompie, but if I could borrow code from other devs (Threading API being priority) then I will resume (I currently use XP with no other Windows version)..
I would not surprised if AV flag it as virus, xompie use "man in the middle" method and just like other hooking they are prone to false-positive, whatever the justification is.

Slightly OT, Does anyone experienced with SFU 3.5 (the last service for unix for Windows XP) here? there is bundle package called pkg-current-bundlecomplete35.exe as asked here https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/367623-sua-community-package-bundles-where-download.html
Been looking for that, with it SFU should be comparable to an old cygwin is term completeness, but with tighter integration. Currently I use gentoo prefix http://distfiles.gentoo.org/experimental/prefix/x86-interix/20110902/ as advised by wikipedia but a bit overkill (300mb).

In short there are three approach of XP "Live" POSIX emulation
CoLinux
Cygwin/MSYS2/UWIN/etc
Interix SFU

13 hours ago, TuMaGoNx said:

I never been optimistic about the prospect of xompie, but if I could borrow code from other devs (Threading API being priority) then I will resume (I currently use XP with no other Windows version).

Would you like to join our Skype group? Perhaps you can talk with Samuel and take what you think can be useful from One Core API as everything is on Github. 

Feel free to add me: francebb1 - franceopf@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

Epson multifunction inkjet current model WF-4740 has drivers for Windows XP x86.  They are there in the Epson website driver selection dialog. Tested and works 100%.

Scan driver: epson634915eu.exe (contains EpsonScan2_WF4740_64850_41_Signed, seems to be from 18-02-2020)

Printing driver: epson627759eu.exe (seems to be from 31-10-2016)

1 hour ago, ED_Sln said:

Ccleaner 5.64 does not work in XP, xompie does not fix. The latest working version is 5.63. And in Vista it doesn’t work either.

I just updated to the last working version for XP (5.63).

"Rip CCleaner" I guess, then... :(

2 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

Ccleaner 5.64 does not work in XP, xompie does not fix. The latest working version is 5.63. And in Vista it doesn’t work either.

Your conclusion might be a little hasty, since 5.64 hasn't even been released at this time. According to a Wilders Security post,

Farewell to Windows XP & Vista
- Version 5.64.7577 is the final planned build for Windows XP and Vista
- This version will only receive critical security updates
- Read our help article for further information and assistance

Edit: New FAQ posted just minutes ago: Why do you no longer support Windows XP or Vista?

If you are using XP or Vista, v5.64 is the last version of CCleaner you can use. If you try to update to a newer version of CCleaner, you will not be able to. However, v5.64 will receive any critical security updates.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Your conclusion might be a little hasty, since 5.64 hasn't even been released at this time.

I downloaded the new version from the official site, with a digital signature. Therefore, I do not think that this is some kind of unofficial or beta version.
In both operating systems, the installer shows an empty window with an error.

0.png

If you unzip the files, then in Vista an error of "Entry point not found in kernel32.dll library.". And in XP there will be an error "not a Win32 application",

1.png

2.png3.png

Edited by ED_Sln