360Chrome
360 Secure Browser
Sogou Web Browser
Baidu Spark Browser (Chromium 44)
Coc Coc
UC Browser
Maxthon
QQ Browser (Tencent)

are ALL browsers offered by Chinese vendors (and mainly target mainland China users...; I won't even touch the privacy concerns associated with Chinese browsers in general :whistle:).

The fact that XP still holds a strong market share among Chinese netizens is the very reason that gives incentive to these Chinese vendors to invest, no doubt, considerable resources to (probably manually) undoing all the many thousand lines of code Google have pushed after Chromium 49, so as to restore XP and, probably as a not intended by-product, Vista compatibility in their Chromium 69 & 70 forks.

Being myself in the Mozilla camp, I would've liked for them to have similarly produced an XP/Vista compatible Quantum fork, but I suspect they were not interested in such an enterprise (technical limitations aside): Quantum currently enjoys only a small fraction of Google Chrome's usage share; and Google Chrome is already on its own a hugely more efficient spyware than Quantum, so why bother to begin with? ;)

Of the rest two browsers in your first list, Nano Browser (still in alpha testing phase) is an Indian product (another territory where XP is still abundant),  while Lunascape is a Japanese product (which makes it the odd one out, I suppose; BTW, have you checked that the Gecko and Webkit engines inside Lunascape are indeed XP compatible? If not, Lunascape would be only able to use IE8's Trident engine under XP and that alone, as I'm sure you already know, won't get you very far in 2019's web :no:).

PS: This is not an XP dissing post, I still love XP :wub: myself, having spent 6 years on it before sticking with Vista; but it is a reality check all the same...

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

The fact that XP still holds a strong market share among Chinese netizens is the very reason that gives incentive to these Chinese vendors to invest, no doubt, considerable resources to (probably manually) undoing all the many thousand lines of code Google have pushed after Chromium 49, so as to restore XP and, probably as a not intended by-product, Vista compatibility in their Chromium 69 & 70 forks.

...Being myself in the Mozilla camp, I would've liked for them to have similarly produced an XP/Vista compatible Quantum fork, but I suspect they were not interested in such an enterprise (technical limitations aside): Quantum currently enjoys only a small fraction of Google Chrome's usage share; and Google Chrome is already on its own a hugely more efficient spyware than Quantum, so why bother to begin with? ;)

... PS: This is not an XP dissing post, I still love XP  myself, having spent 6 years on it before sticking with Vista; but it is a reality check all the same...

To the first point, yeah. I would not use anything that is not open source these days, and then open source whose coders behave and write as such. I use xp because I own the mofo and do not care for the guarantee.  For reasons that have to do with how I filter my traffic, as well, and for his transparency, I trust ryotan1's code -until proven otherwise, that is :P. As per the browsers in that list, the one I tried was Maxthon: portable is useless, installed it took over the firewall to adjust, I figure :ph34r:, the settings of the VM.  I didn't care for that -and luckily no rootkit attached, I guess, I guess. 

The second point, yeah, too. I loved firefox when it didn't grow new versions by the 10s, and until it shut the doors on those who had collaborated for years with the project and were left out. Deja vu from the last years of netscape, sort of. Silly move from silicon valley wannabe mentality. 

As per the third point, the persistence of xp shows (blatantly) both that market power has not yet taken over the world -completely- and that abandoning xp is not technologically necessary. I watch all I want whenever I want, and do most office work in the environment I like and have tweaked to my needs over the years: xp. Also, check the tree of this forum: people are howling from windows 98! https://msfn.org/board/forum/8-windows-9xme I remember back then that I thought of remaining there.  But xp was so much better, yet equally tweakable, that I moved on without updates other than the ones provided by this community -and related ones. I will keep using the dinghy till the end is nite, I reckon.

Edited by dmiranda

On 8/1/2019 at 7:40 AM, ED_Sln said:

If third-party codecs are not installed in the system, such an error appears when opening any video. It is fixed by replacing the ffcodec.dll file from the old version.

1.PNG

Alternative solution is to kill ImageImportDescriptor for Bcrypt.dll in ffcodec.dll (with e.g. LordPE)

No troubles for now with any media file.

On 8/2/2019 at 7:20 PM, VistaLover said:

PS: This is not an XP dissing post, I still love XP :wub: myself, having spent 6 years on it before sticking with Vista; but it is a reality check all the same...

You should never feel you cannot say that (or even have to qualify it).  A reality check is healthy.  For example, I was very big on extending Vista's longevity, but it seems to be experiencing just enough issues or concerns with the latest Server 2008 updates, that it has now become a less attractive option for me.  And with Windows 8 running SO well, I can feel good about letting go of past OS releases.

I will miss Windows 2000 and Windows XP x64 Edition, but they had their time, and I was fond of it.

On 8/3/2019 at 5:56 PM, Proteus said:

Alternative solution is to kill ImageImportDescriptor for Bcrypt.dll in ffcodec.dll (with e.g. LordPE)

No troubles for now with any media file.

They made a very bad failed version (1.7.19955), i can speak for XP, cause if you download their opencodec suggested -

PotPlayer codec (upd: 06/20/2019): OpenCodecSetup -  the issue isn't go away.

Luckily the previuos working version (1.7.18958) can be found here

For the version of Potplayer 19955 released on July 31st with the aforementioned problems it is possible to open a bug report in the dedicated forum:

https://potplayer.daum.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=347ace19468cb45a97660a9be010ae21

It would be interesting to know if the problem is only limited to Windows XP.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

23 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

It would be interesting to know if the problem is only limited to Windows XP.

... But you do have access to a Win10 machine, you've posted screenshots of it (running latest Chrome...) :); does latest PotPlayer work as intended there? :dubbio:

On 8/8/2019 at 6:46 PM, VistaLover said:

... But you do have access to a Win10 machine, you've posted screenshots of it (running latest Chrome...) :); does latest PotPlayer work as intended there? :dubbio:

I'm on holiday.:thumbup

Sun,sea..............and no PC tests.

If it doesn't interest some colleague I will open a bug report as soon as possible.

P.S. The PC with W10 is not mine.

1 hour ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

I'm on holiday.:thumbup

Sun,sea..............and no PC tests.

:cool: :worship: Buone vacanze!

1 hour ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

I will open a bug report as soon as possible.

P.S. The PC with W10 is not mine.

... I see ;) ... and no worries, software debugging can certainly wait! :lol:

22 hours ago, VistaLover said:

:cool: :worship: Buone vacanze!

... I see ;) ... and no worries, software debugging can certainly wait! :lol:

Thanks a lot.:hello:
I tried to register on the Potplayer forum but I don't get the activation e-mail.
I tried resending the email unnecessarily.
Now I have sent an e-mail to the administrator.

IDA Pro 7.0 Freeware, a disassembler, works on XP x64 (no x86 version). However, the PE subsystem is set to 6.0 which means you will have to use a tool like blackwingcat's PEMaker to change it before running it.

https://www.hex-rays.com/products/ida/support/download_freeware.shtml

x86 users can use 5.0 freeware, though I have only tested it in extended win2k, not XP itself:

http://web.archive.org/web/20160419045730/https://hex-rays.com/products/ida/support/download_freeware.shtml

I have not received any reply from the administrators of the Potplayer forum.:thumbdown
But I sent an e-mail reporting the bug of version 1.7.19995.
Today I did a test with the latest beta version and it seems to me that the bug is solved.

If anyone wants to try, at the link below, the latest beta x32 of Potplayer 1.7.20187:

http://t1.daumcdn.net/potplayer/beta/PotPlayerSetup.exe

hfXk14ah_o.jpg

Edited by Sampei.Nihira