Latest Version of Software Running on XP

pointertovoid

I would guess that portions of the about page are downloaded, and that the copyright notice reflects the copyright date of that downloaded content. Which is misleading, of course. But since copyrights last 95 (!) years anyway ("thanks" Disney!), it's not as if the difference between 2016 and 2019 matters much.

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

I would guess that portions of the about page are downloaded, and that the copyright notice reflects the copyright date of that downloaded content. Which is misleading, of course. But since copyrights last 95 (!) years anyway ("thanks" Disney!), it's not as if the difference between 2016 and 2019 matters much.

@someguy25 @Mathwiz

And that's the crux of it. I expected that the page was generated from a chrome://help page within C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\49.0.2623.112. Which should have a 2016 date.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:31 PM, FranceBB said:

Sadly...

The best player and the only one with updated codecs for XP after the K-Lite Codec Pack dropped support as it was using the Open Codecs. Anyway, here comes my post, begging Chinese developers to keep supporting XP: https://potplayer.daum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20789

It's hilarious that they support Windows Vista -- the laughingstock of Microsoft -- but not the legendary XP.

I tried the beta installer, which failed, but there is probably a way to make it work by using Dependency Walker.

https://www.videohelp.com/download/PotPlayerSetup-1.7.18193.exe

potplayer.jpg

Advanced Chrome does the same thing: about page claims copyright 2019.

I'm not seeing any Internet access when the about page is accessed, so I guess it isn't downloading it. Must be just plugging the current year. I'd guess they were assuming that no one would remain on an outdated browser for three years ;)

Rest assured, the "true" copyright date is 2016, regardless of what that page claims....

13 minutes ago, sdfox7 said:

It's hilarious that they support Windows Vista -- the laughingstock of Microsoft -- but not the legendary XP.

potplayer.jpg

Very unusual to support Vista but not XP. Most developers just drop both at once and jump to Win 7.

My guess would be that they started using Windows Media Foundation, which was introduced in Vista.

The funny thing is, if you open the installer .exe with 7-Zip, there's even a PotPlayerXP.exe packed within the installer! Which doesn't crash, but looks like this:

Capture6.PNG.71eb4b8ecc224077925041642d6b209c.PNG

Edited by Mathwiz

I have tried SMPlayer but it is not for me.

I stay with PotPlayer.

Incompatibilities with future codecs will be addressed when and if they will come.

Taken now already countermeasures for possible future exploits with malware execution remotely.

Can also confirm PotPlayer 1.7.18193 actually runs on XP, just the installer was modified to output an error when ran on XP (simple version check). Regarding PotPlayer*XP.exe, they've been using separate executable for XP systems for several years now.

PotPlayer.dll, where the guts of the player are, cannot be normally loaded on XP, so they use separate executable with some kind of workaround to get it to load. On Vista+, the normal workaround-free .exe is installed while .exe with a workaround is installed on XP.

Loading PotPlayer.dll the usual way produces access violation exception in its initialization code due to some differences in Thread Information Block, value at FS:[0x2C] is NULL on XP.

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Can also confirm PotPlayer 1.7.18193 actually runs on XP, just the installer was modified to output an error when ran on XP (simple version check). Regarding PotPlayer*XP.exe, they've been using separate executable for XP systems for several years now.

PotPlayer.dll, where the guts of the player are, cannot be normally loaded on XP, so they use separate executable with some kind of workaround to get it to load. On Vista+, the normal workaround-free .exe is installed while .exe with a workaround is installed on XP.

Loading PotPlayer.dll the usual way produces access violation exception in its initialization code due to some differences in Thread Information Block, value at FS:[0x2C] is NULL on XP.

@UCyborg

If you have a modified installer or ZIP package for Windows XP, please let me know. I'd love to upload to my FTP.

I haven't been able to load PotPlayer 1.7.16291 on Windows Server 2003, being met with a "potplayer.dll has been modified or hacked" message. I used to able to load it on Windows 2000 (extended kernel), but I downloaded a newer copy of the installer (but still the same version) and it appeared.

I don't remember finding an XP-suffixed executable though.

Edited by win32
improved grammar.

3 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

If you have a modified installer or ZIP package for Windows XP, please let me know. I'd love to upload to my FTP.

There's no easy straight-forward way to de-compile NSIS installers AFAIK, so I just extracted the files from it with 7-Zip. You can make ZIP package by extracting everything except the following:

• $0
  • $PLUGINSDIR
  • Alarm.wav
  • D_Exec.exe
  • LogManager.exe
  • PotNotify.exe
  • PotPlayer.exe
  • PotPlayerMini.exe
  • uninstall.exe.nxis

Then you can rename PotPlayerXP.exe to PotPlayer.exe and PotPlayerMiniXP.exe to PotPlayerMini.exe in the folder where you've extracted the files and ZIP it up. Usually, only Mini EXE files are installed. I remember that with the older releases, you got both normal and mini versions. The normal version can connect to Kakao's streaming services, so it's possible that it gets installed only if you choose Korean language during installation or if regional settings in Windows are set to South Korea, but I haven't experimented with that, so that's just my guessing.

Also, when you upload it to the FTP, make it clear that it's only for use on Windows XP. The XP executables throw an error if you try to run them on Vista+.

2 hours ago, win32 said:

I haven't been able to load PotPlayer 1.7.16291 on Windows Server 2003, being met with a "potplayer.dll has been modified or hacked" message.

I don't have Server 2003, but the latest version does work on XP x64 Edition, which is similar under the hood.

xMe1OE4.png

2 hours ago, win32 said:

I don't remember finding an XP-suffixed executable though.

Yep, that's mandatory.

21 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Capture6.PNG.71eb4b8ecc224077925041642d6b209c.PNG

Files for East Asian languages have to be installed for that text to render properly (Control Panel->Regional and Language Options->Languages).

19 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

There's no easy straight-forward way to de-compile NSIS installers AFAIK, so I just extracted the files from it with 7-Zip.

Most probably UNneeded in this case, but JFYI, a few old versions of 7-zip also include a NSIS decompiler, see:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/nsidis/

and it can still (maybe) be re-enabled by recompiling the 7-zip source, but I guess the issue (generally speaking) is that NSIS is (or has been) an ever-changing project so results may greatly vary depending on the actual version used to compile the installer.

jacla

On 4/8/2019 at 2:01 PM, sdfox7 said:

@UCyborg

http://portableappz.blogspot.com/2017/01/potplayer-1663891-32-64-bit-multilingual.html

has you tryed portableappz portable maker?  I made a Potplayer beta portable with extra codecs and works. toal 113 mb

Edited by pelolindo
detail

21 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Most probably UNneeded in this case, but JFYI, a few old versions of 7-zip also include a NSIS decompiler, see:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/nsidis/

I see, 7-Zip 15.05 does show the decompiled script in this case.

21 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Whew - 230 MB? No thanks. I'll just stick with PotPlayer Mini.

That remark about language files applies generally when dealing with anything where those languages are used. I merely wanted to point out that the way your screenshot looked isn't how it's supposed to look.

14 hours ago, pelolindo said:

You has tryed portableappz method? i like it because you can add the codecs to the portable too

We were discussing beta version of PotPlayer, which drops XP support, the current stable version still supports it officially.